Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lost my first bike

    Well, lightning struck and I had my first bike theft. Rode it Saturday to and from the farmers market, unloaded, rode a bit more and I guess I blanked out and either forgot to lock it or completely forgot to wheel it into my fenced-in area with the rest of the bikes. Noticed my helmet laying on the drive way Sunday evening, went down to retrieve it and noticed my bike MIA. Bummer. Took both my locks and my lights, too. At least they left my helmet!

    Fortunately, it wasn't a very expensive one - $250 Schwinn Trailway. With some small humor, I was planning to buy a "backup" bike this weekend - an inexpensive fixed frame single speed - for this kind of occasion. Looks like I will have to step it up and get a better replacement. Likely, I'll just buy the same model. It was pretty good for a department store bike, I think.

    I will be getting back into the habit of bringing them in every night; I guess my roommates will overlook any inconvenience now that they've seen this happen first hand.

    Lesson: Always double check your security!

    M.

  2. #2
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,196
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear it. You won't make that mistake again.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I will be getting back into the habit of bringing them in every night; I guess my roommates will overlook any inconvenience now that they've seen this happen first hand.

    Lesson: Always double check your security!
    You can get a replacement bicycle but the worst thing they've taken from you is your peace of mind. I hate that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Astrozombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East L.A.(California)
    My Bikes
    Windsor Dover, Gravity Avenue
    Posts
    706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this time i take my helmet in with me, it's only $20 so i should just leave it with the bike too eh? After Ciclavia i saw a nice roadie parked around a pole at venice beach with just a large cable lock *facepalm*

  5. #5
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    You can get a replacement bicycle but the worst thing they've taken from you is your peace of mind. I hate that.
    There is that. It is considered the sketchy part of town, here where I've moved to. Ultimately I was at fault but mannn.

    Artkansas: Yep, I am stowing things inside for now on. Don't care if I have to fumble with them getting them up the porch steps. More motivation to finally buy that set of folding bikes for the S.O. and I.

    Astro: As opposed to having the wheels locked to the frame, and then the frame to the pole?

    M.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news! On my way home today (borrowed my roomates bike to get to work), I found myself at a crosswalk. I saw a bike leaning against the McDonalds at that intersection and idly thought what a bad place to just leave a bike that was, because it would get stolen just like mine.

    Then I saw that there was a white tag hanging under the seat. Just like mine.

    SO I walked across to get a closer look and saw it had a black cable lock and some cheap LED lights. Just like mine.

    AND wouldn't you know it, it was my bike! So, I lugged it and the other one I borrowed home and I have recovered my property. Likely it was one of the neighborhood kids, and possibly the one I've seen nearby walking with a McDonald's uniform shirt on. Guess he will figure it out when the bike isn't there after his shift - assuming it was him, which isn't a certainty. Either way I'm not going to take it any further. Maybe I should start a neighborhood bike coop or something...

    M.

  7. #7
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,196
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Good news! On my way home today (borrowed my roomates bike to get to work), I found myself at a crosswalk. I saw a bike leaning against the McDonalds at that intersection and idly thought what a bad place to just leave a bike that was, because it would get stolen just like mine.

    Then I saw that there was a white tag hanging under the seat. Just like mine.

    SO I walked across to get a closer look and saw it had a black cable lock and some cheap LED lights. Just like mine.

    AND wouldn't you know it, it was my bike! So, I lugged it and the other one I borrowed home and I have recovered my property. Likely it was one of the neighborhood kids, and possibly the one I've seen nearby walking with a McDonald's uniform shirt on. Guess he will figure it out when the bike isn't there after his shift - assuming it was him, which isn't a certainty. Either way I'm not going to take it any further. Maybe I should start a neighborhood bike coop or something...

    M.
    Most theft stories don't end like this--that's great!

  9. #9
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some kid will probably post how he left his bike outside Mickey D's and some jerk stole it....

  10. #10
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ending....
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    On yer left
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They have stolen your faith in the kindness and honesty of your fellow human beings. I don't believe in that crap, but some folks do.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ozonation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great ending!

    Have you consider a folding bike? A bit more expensive, but a lot easier to lug around and store, and much easier to keep an eye on.
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne and Hunqapillar; Brompton M6R Sage Green; Salsa Mukluk 3 FAT Bike; Nerdy Academic; Nikonian; Wing Chun; and a Patridge in a Pear Tree.

  13. #13
    Senior Member spectastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    texas
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    1,702
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first bike stolen in high school. It was a $20 piece of crap my dad bought off of an auction or something. I was very sad because $20 was a big deal to me back then, and the bike was actually way better than my mom's bike, which was a piece of $hiT.

    But anyway, I never leave my bike unlocked. And if I have to leave it unattended, I always make sure either it's a populated area, or there's cameras somewhere watching my bike. Even if it's locked, most locked can be easily cut with a cable cutter. But then again, I've never commuted in big cities, so ymmv
    1

  14. #14
    Senior Member PedalingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utica, MI
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had a bike stolen but when I was a kid my mom's boyfriend stole a bike for me...
    I walked in the house after school and there was a bike in our living room with a can of black spray paint sitting next to it.
    I had to paint it before I took it outside to ride it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozonation View Post
    What a great ending!

    Have you consider a folding bike? A bit more expensive, but a lot easier to lug around and store, and much easier to keep an eye on.
    I have, actually. Moved into a new part of town and had begun the hunt just before I did so. One thing lead to another and I had settled on a Citizen, but one thing lead to another thing and I still haven't ordered it. BUT! Soon I will, because I am an intern and am going full time for the summer. Going to get one for my SO and myself, and they'll probably take over as the work commute bikes because they'll be easier to tote in and out.

    M.

  16. #16
    Member sfleuriet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Texas - I'm not aware of another state
    My Bikes
    2012 SuperSix 5
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, can't believe you recovered it. Great story - congrats

  17. #17
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenji666 View Post
    They have stolen your faith in the kindness and honesty of your fellow human beings. I don't believe in that crap, but some folks do.
    I'm one of the folks that do.

  18. #18
    Senior Member cyclist2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up
    My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Posts
    2,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I'm one of the folks that do.
    So do I.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

  19. #19
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update!

    Was browsing Craigslist to see what kind of bikes are for sale in my neck of the woods. Look what I found!

    http://smd.craigslist.org/bik/3786508326.html

    That is my Trailway. Guess that explains where I misplaced those reflector bands...

    M.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO you happen to have the serial number to it? or a picture with a distinct mark on it? Ive had one stolen before and the cops told me they cant do much unless i can prove the bike was mine.

  21. #21
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, just circumstance; all the same accessories, happens to be posted on the day after I noticed it was MIA, etc.

    Not going to pursue it, just some kid trying to make a buck at someone elses expense, yeah, but nobody got hurt.

    M.

  22. #22
    Senior Member cyclist2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up
    My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Posts
    2,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little confused here, I thought that you found your bike at McDonald's now you are saying that you found your bike on Craigslist? Did you steal someone else's bike from McDonald's by accident?
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

  23. #23
    Sprinter linus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confused.

  24. #24
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclist2000 View Post
    I'm a little confused here, I thought that you found your bike at McDonald's now you are saying that you found your bike on Craigslist? Did you steal someone else's bike from McDonald's by accident?
    Quote Originally Posted by linus View Post
    Confused.
    Me, too. Although I noticed that craigslist ad was posted on 5/5, the day before OP recovered his bike, I don't understand what he said about reflector bands.

  25. #25
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Me, too. Although I noticed that craigslist ad was posted on 5/5, the day before OP recovered his bike, I don't understand what he said about reflector bands.
    Reflective bands on the seat post.



    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •