Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Future Retro Grouch bici_mania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Not In Texas
    My Bikes
    Olmo San Remo
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cycling, Jobs and Dreams

    Bicycles are a solution that can be applied in numerous ways to problems and questions that vary widely through the stratification of all cultures everywhere. I love cycling and everything about it. It is my dream to find work that in some way that involves cycling. All of my experience and education is in Information Technology and I have yet to find a way that these two fields overlap in a way that I could find gainful employment. For years I thought that I would like to open a bar, coffee shop or cafe and a bike shop. It would create an opportunity for my bike shop customers to sit and socialize and those that came into the bar/coffee shop/cafe could possibly be wooed by the bikes. Now I am thinking Internet Cafe / Bike Shop. It could be a great place to hang out, a cyclist not wanting to schlep a computer device around town could stop in whenever they wanted. Customers to the bike shop wouldn't get bored and and consequently impatient.

    I am curious to know what ideas others have. What would be your cycling dream job? What field do you work in now and how would you imagine it intersecting with cycling so that you could cross over?
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. - Charles M. Schulz

  2. #2
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bici_mania View Post
    Bicycles are a solution that can be applied in numerous ways to problems and questions that vary widely through the stratification of all cultures everywhere. I love cycling and everything about it. It is my dream to find work that in some way that involves cycling. All of my experience and education is in Information Technology and I have yet to find a way that these two fields overlap in a way that I could find gainful employment. For years I thought that I would like to open a bar, coffee shop or cafe and a bike shop. It would create an opportunity for my bike shop customers to sit and socialize and those that came into the bar/coffee shop/cafe could possibly be wooed by the bikes. Now I am thinking Internet Cafe / Bike Shop. It could be a great place to hang out, a cyclist not wanting to schlep a computer device around town could stop in whenever they wanted. Customers to the bike shop wouldn't get bored and and consequently impatient.

    I am curious to know what ideas others have. What would be your cycling dream job? What field do you work in now and how would you imagine it intersecting with cycling so that you could cross over?
    Your dream sounds a little like Spokes in Little Rock. When they expanded into a space that used to have a cafe bar, they kept it.

    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  3. #3
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dream job. I'd like to be able to take my animation production on the road. With a laptop and internet on my recumbent, head for the horizon.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  4. #4
    xtrajack xtrajack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
    Posts
    2,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a bike/coffee shop in Rockland, It is called "Bikes N Java".
    2008 Kona Fire Mountain/Xtracycle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I void warranties.
    Cycling well IS Cycling Advocacy
    Originally Posted by Steely Dan: if you're riding a bike and not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

  5. #5
    Senior Member dreamer0891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Defiance, Ohio
    My Bikes
    A FUJI!
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Your dream sounds a little like Spokes in Little Rock. When they expanded into a space that used to have a cafe bar, they kept it.

    Drooling. All over myself.

  6. #6
    Future Retro Grouch bici_mania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Not In Texas
    My Bikes
    Olmo San Remo
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Your dream sounds a little like Spokes in Little Rock. When they expanded into a space that used to have a cafe bar, they kept it.

    I went to the website, it looks like an amazing place. Precisely the sort of place I wish we had near me.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. - Charles M. Schulz

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •