Hi, I currently have a fixed gear/single gear bike with a drop bar and two dropbar style brakes.
The specs for the stem on this bike state:
"Forged Aluminum, 8 deg, Removable 26.0 Clamp, Black Finish, Threadless 1.125" It's not clear to me what these measurements, particularly 26.0 and 1.125, mean.
I also have an extra flat bar which I tried to install but the stem (above) was too big for it. The handle bar has no measurement markings so I measured the circumference twice and divided by pi and got 25.2 and 25.26 mm. The online store I'm chatting with insists this a 25.4 mm handlebar. But I see 25.2 mm handlebars online being sold online (here). Although Sheldon Brown doesn't mention a 25.2 mm anywhere either.
My online store also suggest I get a new stem. I don't understand why I can't buy a shim?
My online store also indicates I need to get new brake cables because the current cable endings that are on the dropbar won't fit the new brakes for the flarbar I need.
Anyway here is a summary of what I need and any help will be appreciated!
- Is my extra flat handlebar indeed a 25.4mm or is it really a 25.2mm? This is where everything starts.
- Do I really need to get new brake cables to convert from dropbar brakes to flatbar brakes? If so any recommendations?
- So I really need to by a new stem (see dimensions above)? Why can't I simply buy a shim? If so any recommendations?
- Any suggestions on grips?
- Are there conversion bundles I can get that has all of the above?
Your help and advice is appreciated.