Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-13, 08:02 AM   #1
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Rhymes with Orange

A cartoon strip: http://rhymeswithorange.com/ I can't copy and paste it so it's probably only good for one day.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:15 AM   #2
FenderTL5
Senior Member
 
FenderTL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville TN
Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: gif commuters.gif (72.6 KB, 163 views)
FenderTL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:28 AM   #3
Number400
Senior Member
 
Number400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, GT Timberline, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Haha, good one. I have to admit that when I see someone riding during commute times in street clothes or work uniform with no safety equipment, I think recent DUI.
Number400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:54 AM   #4
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah. In graduate school I got back into cycling when I got my license suspended for points accumulated from overly exuberant motorcycle riding.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 11:45 AM   #5
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle, and start living car free. Just thinking about it....
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 12:32 PM   #6
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle, and start living car free. Just thinking about it....
What's the difference between owning a MC or car, they both use fossil fuels, and some MC's get less MPG then some cars, and if you ever need to carry some stuff, or take a date on a foul weather day, etc, there's quite a few limitations of what you can do on a MC. Lot to think about. Or, you keep your car and ride the bicycle and MC most of the time and save the car for those times you're limited to a car.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 03:49 PM   #7
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
What's the difference between owning a MC or car, they both use fossil fuels, and some MC's get less MPG then some cars, and if you ever need to carry some stuff, or take a date on a foul weather day, etc, there's quite a few limitations of what you can do on a MC. Lot to think about. Or, you keep your car and ride the bicycle and MC most of the time and save the car for those times you're limited to a car.
Because, like a bicycle, a motorcycle is more fun to drive than a car.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:29 PM   #8
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Because, like a bicycle, a motorcycle is more fun to drive than a car.
Far more fun? Really? I guess you haven't been drifting in a car for awhile, or racing a car against a MC through winding mountain roads. A car will out handle a motorcycle due to the fact the car has 4 wide tires on the pavement vs just 2 narrower tires on the pavement. Fun? You really don't know the meaning of that between those two.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-13, 01:58 PM   #9
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
Far more fun? Really? I guess you haven't been drifting in a car for awhile, or racing a car against a MC through winding mountain roads. A car will out handle a motorcycle due to the fact the car has 4 wide tires on the pavement vs just 2 narrower tires on the pavement. Fun? You really don't know the meaning of that between those two.
Okay, wreckedmiata, so fun for you is breaking the law; cool, just don't hit one of mine. That WILL bring fun to an end.

Given the choice (which my finances don't), I'd be on two (maybe three) wheels for life, NEVER drive a car again. Just being IN THE BREEZE is fun, so your point is right FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE.

Why do you ask "Far more fun"? No one else said that.

To everyone else: the automatic thought of DUI because of a lack of helmet and/or blinkie lights is an insult, the type drivers visit on all of us. You should be better than that. The stereotype is a LITTLE closer if the bike is a Wally Special, poorly adjusted, the rider is not fitted to the bike, and in a grossly wrong gear, going about 6-7 mph. But STILL....
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-13, 03:59 PM   #10
JBHoren 
Living 'n Dying in -Time
 
JBHoren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenacres, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle, and start living car free. Just thinking about it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
What's the difference between owning a MC or car, they both use fossil fuels, and some MC's get less MPG then some cars, and if you ever need to carry some stuff, or take a date on a foul weather day, etc, there's quite a few limitations of what you can do on a MC. Lot to think about. Or, you keep your car and ride the bicycle and MC most of the time and save the car for those times you're limited to a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Because, like a bicycle, a motorcycle is more fun to drive than a car.
And so are the women who ride wit choo.
__________________
1990 Bianchi Volpe
JBHoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-13, 04:06 PM   #11
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I want a motorcycle because it saves gas, the insurance is cheaper, maintenance is easier, and the girl would have no choice but to hold me tight . Talk about an ice breaker.

The only downside I suppose is safety... and if I were to go grocery shopping, or buying something on craigslist (like say a bicycle). There's no good way to carry something like that, except for a burley trailer hooked to a bicycle. But if there were something that would allow me to carry luggage with a motorcycle, I'd be down for it 100%.
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 10:31 PM   #12
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
Okay, wreckedmiata, so fun for you is breaking the law; cool, just don't hit one of mine. That WILL bring fun to an end.

Given the choice (which my finances don't), I'd be on two (maybe three) wheels for life, NEVER drive a car again. Just being IN THE BREEZE is fun, so your point is right FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE.

Why do you ask "Far more fun"? No one else said that.

To everyone else: the automatic thought of DUI because of a lack of helmet and/or blinkie lights is an insult, the type drivers visit on all of us. You should be better than that. The stereotype is a LITTLE closer if the bike is a Wally Special, poorly adjusted, the rider is not fitted to the bike, and in a grossly wrong gear, going about 6-7 mph. But STILL....
DUI? What hat did you pull that one out of?

Breaking the law? If there's no law around where's it being broken? Ever heard of track racing?

You want a breeze? Convertibles provide a great breeze, besides on a MC you're wearing a full face helmet...wheres the breeze?

Here's an example of a car kicking the arss out of a MC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JsA1DgDhU And that freaking car leans like crazy and it still kicks the MC around the track. But I really like the last few words from the announcer before the video ends.

By the way in case you haven't figured this out yet, all that I said in the previous post and this post was tongue in cheek, for some reason you missed that...that just made this whole thing funnier.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 05-19-13 at 10:34 PM.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 11:24 PM   #13
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
Far more fun? Really? I guess you haven't been drifting in a car for awhile, or racing a car against a MC through winding mountain roads. A car will out handle a motorcycle due to the fact the car has 4 wide tires on the pavement vs just 2 narrower tires on the pavement. Fun? You really don't know the meaning of that between those two.
Yup, I figured you for a car nut. And you want to compare race track with normal daily use, then you might as well throw in skydiving. Neither track racing or skydiving are very useful for daily commutes.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 11:24 PM   #14
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
I want a motorcycle because it saves gas, the insurance is cheaper, maintenance is easier, and the girl would have no choice but to hold me tight . Talk about an ice breaker.

The only downside I suppose is safety... and if I were to go grocery shopping, or buying something on craigslist (like say a bicycle). There's no good way to carry something like that, except for a burley trailer hooked to a bicycle. But if there were something that would allow me to carry luggage with a motorcycle, I'd be down for it 100%.
Motorcycle trailer would work just fine.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 07:38 AM   #15
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Yup, I figured you for a car nut. And you want to compare race track with normal daily use, then you might as well throw in skydiving. Neither track racing or skydiving are very useful for daily commutes.
What? You like wind in your face but don't skydive? I don't get your logic. Anyway for normal everyday driving the car still has the advantage in both emergency maneuvering (as demonstrated in the video that you didn't like but couldn't see how that might relate in normal driving), emergency stopping (because the vast majority of riders don't know how to stop fast with a MC), and accident protection.

Yes I am a car nut, but I use to have MC years ago while in the military, a Moto Guzzi...a what you ask?
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 06:21 PM   #16
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Yup, I figured you for a car nut. And you want to compare race track with normal daily use, then you might as well throw in skydiving. Neither track racing or skydiving are very useful for daily commutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
What? You like wind in your face but don't skydive? I don't get your logic. Anyway for normal everyday driving the car still has the advantage in both emergency maneuvering (as demonstrated in the video that you didn't like but couldn't see how that might relate in normal driving), emergency stopping (because the vast majority of riders don't know how to stop fast with a MC), and accident protection.

Yes I am a car nut, but I use to have MC years ago while in the military, a Moto Guzzi...a what you ask?
You act like others here are idiots and act like no one who rode motorcycles would know what a Moto Guzzi is.

First you might try untwisting yourself from mixing up different posters in your brain. That might help you follow others post. As a clue, I never said anything about wind in my face or that I don't skydive. Now I have a better understanding of why so many of your post over the last couple of years have seemed so odd.

As to your comment "because the vast majority of riders don't know how to stop fast with a MC", the same is just as true for cagers.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Last edited by CB HI; 05-20-13 at 06:25 PM.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 07:53 PM   #17
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
You act like others here are idiots and act like no one who rode motorcycles would know what a Moto Guzzi is.

First you might try untwisting yourself from mixing up different posters in your brain. That might help you follow others post. As a clue, I never said anything about wind in my face or that I don't skydive. Now I have a better understanding of why so many of your post over the last couple of years have seemed so odd.

As to your comment "because the vast majority of riders don't know how to stop fast with a MC", the same is just as true for cagers.
Lighten up Francis. I was trying to get you to laugh, geez. Yeah I got the wind thing mixed up with the other guy but you did mention the skydiving part, regardless it's not a big deal, I was trying to get you laugh just wee little bit. Obviously the humor missed it's mark and I'm sorry you didn't see that feeble attempt.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 09:33 AM   #18
Phil_gretz
Bike Commuter in training
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: '88 Fuji Saratoga, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
For the record, petrolium based fuels don't originate with fossils. That thought has be de-bunked pretty well. The latest research suggests that the Earth produces oil and natural gas in large quantities, but from a process that isn't well understood. Not fossiles or ancient swamps, though.
Phil_gretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 10:29 AM   #19
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
For the record, petrolium based fuels don't originate with fossils. That thought has be de-bunked pretty well. The latest research suggests that the Earth produces oil and natural gas in large quantities, but from a process that isn't well understood. Not fossiles or ancient swamps, though.

That's why humans have flatulence because we came out of the swamp...swamp gas...next please!
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 03:37 PM   #20
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
DUI? What hat did you pull that one out of?

Breaking the law? If there's no law around where's it being broken? Ever heard of track racing?

You want a breeze? Convertibles provide a great breeze, besides on a MC you're wearing a full face helmet...wheres the breeze?

Here's an example of a car kicking the arss out of a MC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JsA1DgDhU And that freaking car leans like crazy and it still kicks the MC around the track. But I really like the last few words from the announcer before the video ends.

By the way in case you haven't figured this out yet, all that I said in the previous post and this post was tongue in cheek, for some reason you missed that...that just made this whole thing funnier.
Pulled DUI out of the near-universal misconception that bike riders are there because they've lost their license through DUI. Look around, there's a whole great big world out there.

Sure, I've heard of track racing; also heard of street racing, in fact, used to DO it. If it's on a track where you're doing all this, you've got an expensive hobby.

Tongue-in-cheek -- meh. Some people just aren't very funny, and you remind me of an older brother I have, who's made me laugh about three times in 50 years. (On the other hand, I have made him spray food on the table twice.)
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 05:28 PM   #21
Jseis 
Grating member
 
Jseis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SW Washington state on the ocean!
Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm really having a hard time what I like more..the 'Stang full throttle out of a 101 wide radius turn, the Colnago on a winding beach front asphalt trail with a 20 knot tailwind or the MTB down through a Benhams Falls rock garden.

For shear power (and a touch of terror...which means your beyond sanity)..nothing on earth beats, and I mean nothing....beats the feel and power of a green broke 1/2 ton+ of rider and Quarter-horse/Arabain charging through and out of a narrow woodland forest trail into the setting sun.. Keep those knees in!
__________________
Make Amerika Grate Again

Last edited by Jseis; 05-22-13 at 09:36 PM.
Jseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 09:32 PM   #22
rekmeyata
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
Tongue-in-cheek -- meh. Some people just aren't very funny, and you remind me of an older brother I have, who's made me laugh about three times in 50 years. (On the other hand, I have made him spray food on the table twice.)
that basically sizes up my attempts at being funny.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.