Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Assess this Krauter bike for me, please! (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/890995-assess-krauter-bike-me-please.html)

Cloffy 05-21-13 02:53 PM

Assess this Krauter bike for me, please!
 
Hey, I'm new to the forums (been reading the archives some bit), yet I needed a help of some wise and experienced cyclists about a bicycle I am considering to purchase. I googled for the frame manufacturer but Google came up with nothing, so I turn to you - with nothing much except these photographs, could you, please, help me assess this bike and whether it is a good option for city cycling!
I have not ridden a fixed-gear yet, but I want to try it out and see what all the hype is about, and I know I'll have to change the pedals and probably the clanks and stuff, and I've got a nice Brooks seat prepared for a bike, so that all wouldn't matter as much as the frame and the general construction.

CLICK to ENLARGE!
http://www.bildites.lv/images/niglgg...zhta_thumb.jpg
http://www.bildites.lv/images/6d5bj0...tjwo_thumb.jpg
http://www.bildites.lv/images/otlq8s...b8vg_thumb.jpg
http://www.bildites.lv/images/ye3mso...vexd_thumb.jpg
CLICK to ENLARGE!

P. S.
Yes, that's a really old-school speedometer there! That's coming off, I'm afraid...

dynaryder 05-21-13 03:11 PM

Might do better posting over in the Classic & Vintage forum. And you need to keep the speedo,that makes the bike.:D

bikeguyinvenice 05-21-13 03:14 PM

I can't tell you much but judging from the looks of the pictures it's a model from the late 70's or early 80's, with a lugged steel frame and cro-moly forks.I don't think it would be my choice for riding around town, but everyone has different tastes and styles.

Cloffy 05-21-13 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 15650906)
And you need to keep the speedo,that makes the bike.:D

Oh, crap, I knew I didn't know much about bikes, but this tells just a bit too much. Should I stick with the saddle, too?

Cloffy 05-21-13 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeguyinvenice (Post 15650922)
I can't tell you much but judging from the looks of the pictures it's a model from the late 70's or early 80's

It is supposedly 1986. Germany.

Cloffy 05-21-13 03:31 PM

I intend to equip it with pursuit handlebars, perhaps - chopping off these, using the same grips. And a front brake (bmx style, short lever)

fietsbob 05-21-13 03:48 PM

. lv ? Latvia?

Its a frame , parts some , like the cottered crank are 40 year old types. wheel in the back , hub is fairly new.China.
i cannot say anything substantive about a bike not right in front of me..

As a "bike" you can change everything but the frame itself, but even that can be 'upgraded'.

but then its not the same bike..

Cloffy 05-21-13 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 15651057)
. lv ? Latvia?

Its a frame , parts some , like the cottered crank are 40 year old types. wheel in the back , hub is fairly new.China.

As a "bike" you can change everything but the frame itself, but even that can be 'upgraded'.

Yeah, .lv, Latvia. I truly believe that's besides the point. :winter2:

I'd have to install the square-tapered BB (the current one is most likely an older system). New cranks... The hub and wheels should do. I would change the seat and chop the drops into bullhorns, as I mentioned. So basically what I care most is - do you guys know anything about the manufacturer (Krauter) and what would be your guesses as to the quality of the bike and what might it cost, in your opinion.
I don't care for the looks too much, I just want a quality fixed-gear ride to play around with and perhaps use as my daily commuter.
Hopefully I will recieve enough feedback to come to some sort of conclusion soon enough to not be late for the advertisment (which just so loves to happen). Up to now I've just mostly used my MTB, so I wouldn't be able to judge this kind of bicycle too well. All I can do is pass on what little information I have from the seller. Yeah - one more detail, it's supposedly "very light", but that's not too objective, coming from the seller, is it. :p

bikeguyinvenice 05-21-13 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloffy (Post 15651111)
Yeah, .lv, Latvia. I truly believe that's besides the point. :winter2:

I'd have to install the square-tapered BB (the current one is most likely an older system). New cranks... The hub and wheels should do. I would change the seat and chop the drops into bullhorns, as I mentioned. So basically what I care most is - do you guys know anything about the manufacturer (Krauter) and what would be your guesses as to the quality of the bike and what might it cost, in your opinion.
I don't care for the looks too much, I just want a quality fixed-gear ride to play around with and perhaps use as my daily commuter.
Hopefully I will recieve enough feedback to come to some sort of conclusion soon enough to not be late for the advertisment (which just so loves to happen). Up to now I've just mostly used my MTB, so I wouldn't be able to judge this kind of bicycle too well. All I can do is pass on what little information I have from the seller. Yeah - one more detail, it's supposedly "very light", but that's not too objective, coming from the seller, is it. :p

Well the fact that it doesn't show up in a google search probably says a lot about it. Probably a company that tried making bikes and that turned into an epic failure. I would try to find an older model of a recognized brand and then go from there.Converting to a square taper bb and new cranks is likely to cost more than that bike if worth. Just my opinion though.

Cloffy 05-21-13 04:14 PM

Ahh, bikeguyinvenice, you're very likely right. Guess I shouldn't hurry with the purchase. It's just somewhat on the cheap side so I thought it worth a thought or two.

MetalPedaler 05-21-13 06:32 PM

Doesn't look to be anything special. Not a high-end frame......if you just like it and wanted to ride it "as is", I'd say "What the hey?" but to put work/money/parts into it? Crazy in my opinion. It's not something that has value, nor is it very special. Your time/money/effort is better on something better or just buying something which you like as it is.

I love that the owner doesn't see brakes as a necessity- but seems to think that a huge, clunky antiquated speedometer is!

I love vintage bikes....but if you're going to get one...get one that was tops in it's day; and/or that is really special.

Cloffy 05-21-13 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalPedaler (Post 15651658)
I love vintage bikes....but if you're going to get one...get one that was tops in it's day; and/or that is really special.

I appreciate your comment - I tend to disregard the work I invest.
And the weird choices like this one come out of an honest attempt to save some money whilst acquiring a decent bike that doesn't necessarily have to look all fashionable.

MetalPedaler 05-21-13 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloffy (Post 15651752)
I appreciate your comment - I tend to disregard the work I invest.
And the weird choices like this one come out of an honest attempt to save some money whilst acquiring a decent bike that doesn't necessarily have to look all fashionable.

I know what you mean. When I was younger, I once rehabilitated a low-quality bike that I found in the garbage! Other than my work though, I only had to put about $25 into it....and I got a lot of enjoyment out of riding it, even though it was a piece of junk. Sometimes it becomes fun just to see how cheaply you can do something- or how minimalist you can be. I once also drove a car that I paid $125 for..... (It was actually a pretty nice car!)

sreten 05-22-13 02:03 PM

Hi,

The gearing looks high. The front brake is probably adequate enough, it
will fit chopped and flipped into bull horns. The BB may be serviceable,
if so the cranks are fine but you need new pedals with toeclips or clipless.
(Plain pedals and a fixie is apparently not good idea for the beginner.)

Saddles are saddles, if its not up to much change it.

rgds, sreten.

Cloffy 05-23-13 08:43 AM

Why some bikes cost 5 times more than others without much of a difference, is still a mistery to me. It's not like the cheaper ones are made of tin.

MetalPedaler 05-23-13 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloffy (Post 15657762)
Why some bikes cost 5 times more than others without much of a difference, is still a mistery to me. It's not like the cheaper ones are made of tin.

That has been a subject which has intrigued me since I became interested in cycling again as an adult.

If you haven't seen this thread:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Klein-Quantum take a look (Unfortunately, it won't answer the question...only add to the enigma!)

fietsbob 05-23-13 06:42 PM

Its likely a collection of someones parts bin contents assembled by someone.
only the frames have some brand written on it , the rest is interchangeable replaceable parts .

Unlike Cars .. Toyota made their own Waterpump for X years car , Bike parts are More Non Specific

wahoonc 05-23-13 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloffy (Post 15657762)
Why some bikes cost 5 times more than others without much of a difference, is still a mistery to me. It's not like the cheaper ones are made of tin.

A very small change in quality of steel tubing or components can easily make the difference in cost.

Aaron :)

fietsbob 05-23-13 07:31 PM

It costs More, to have a bike weigh Less.

Calculated a friend's new Madone at $350 a pound


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.