Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-13, 09:24 PM   #26
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol View Post
Isn't the inner tube prone to tear/damage/leak near the valve area if it's manipulated too frequently when putting on and removing the pump nozzle?
I'd estimate that I've pumped some tubes up over 100 times with no issues. That's just a guess though; I've never actually counted.

I fill my 700x25 tires before every ride. They usually drop from 95 to 85 psi.

My commuter's 700x35 tires get filled on Sunday and Wednesday evenings for my Monday, Tuesday and Thursday commutes. They lose ABOUT 5 psi from 90 to 85.

Beach cruiser tires are filled to 40psi whenver they get noticeably low, around 20 psi.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 09:32 PM   #27
vol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'd estimate that I've pumped some tubes up over 100 times with no issues. That's just a guess though; I've never actually counted.

I fill my 700x25 tires before every ride. They usually drop from 95 to 85 psi.

My commuter's 700x35 tires get filled on Sunday and Wednesday evenings for my Monday, Tuesday and Thursday commutes. They lose ABOUT 5 psi from 90 to 85.
No issue? Maybe that is the issue: if it drops from 95 to 85 each ride, may it's due to a tiny leak around the valve stem already? And the reason I don't need to pump often may be because my tubes are perfectly sealed owing to infrequent manipulation.
vol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 10:03 PM   #28
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol View Post
No issue? Maybe that is the issue: if it drops from 95 to 85 each ride, may it's due to a tiny leak around the valve stem already? And the reason I don't need to pump often may be because my tubes are perfectly sealed owing to infrequent manipulation.
Ha! I never thought of that. Maybe you're on to something.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 04:52 PM   #29
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol View Post
No issue? Maybe that is the issue: if it drops from 95 to 85 each ride, may it's due to a tiny leak around the valve stem already?
Doubtful. Skinny,high-pressure tires lose air much quicker than wide,low pressure tires;that drop doesn't sound unusual. I used to pump the 32's on my cross commuter every Mon/Wed/Fri. I pump the 2" Big Apples on my cargo bike every two weeks or so. Also note,taking the pump off the valve is good for loosing a couple psi.

GP:are the air levels the same in both tires or only one? If one is bleeding down more than the other,you may have an issue. If they're both the same or close,it's just nature of the beast.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 05:54 PM   #30
Jim Kukula
Senior Member
 
Jim Kukula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York State
Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
Skinny,high-pressure tires lose air much quicker than wide,low pressure tires.
I've also noticed that the thickness of the tube makes a considerable difference. Of course, folks will generally use lightweight tubes with skinny high pressure tires and probably thicker tubes with 2 inch tires.
Jim Kukula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 06:05 PM   #31
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
If its my grocery getter with me and 40kg of stuff then the highest possible pressure. I got a pinch flat with a tire inflated to 90%. If its just me, then down to 80% is fine BUT you start to feel it so I like to keep them at spec.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 10:48 AM   #32
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,528
Do consider this when it comes to tire pressure. If you start early in the morning for a long ride and pump your say 100# tire up to its full 100#s, think what happens later. Early in the morning with your bike in the garage when you pump the tires to 100#s and then later in the day on an asphalt street that can get up to 150 degrees or more, what will your tire pressure be? I personally run my tires about 10#s less than the maximum especially on a hot summer day.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 03:45 PM   #33
TromboneAl
Senior Member
 
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Far, Far Northern California
Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Posts: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kukula View Post
Gotta say, the squeeze test is really rotten.
I've calibrated my squeeze. I pumped a tire to 85 psi, squeezed it and noted "That's the point at which I need to add more air." I pumped it to 100 (my preferred pressure) and noted how it felt. I give myself a refresher course now and then. There's a small, but discernible difference.

Thus, before each ride, I can do two quick squeezes and decide whether I need to pump or not.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 04:17 PM   #34
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've calibrated my squeeze. I pumped a tire to 85 psi, squeezed it and noted "That's the point at which I need to add more air." I pumped it to 100 (my preferred pressure) and noted how it felt. I give myself a refresher course now and then. There's a small, but discernible difference.

Thus, before each ride, I can do two quick squeezes and decide whether I need to pump or not.
Don't ever have a coffee. Don't ever skip one. uh.....calibrate your perception too. Make sure you always have exactly the same perception. Don't get tired or energetic.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.