Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wall mounted bike rack that allows bike to be vertical and parallel to wall?

    I just moved into a smaller apartment, and I am looking for a wall mounted bike rack. The only place I can hang my bike would require that the bike be parallel to the wall AND oriented vertically (i.e. front tire pointing towards the ceiling, and rear tire pointing towards the floor). I have found a number of solutions that allow for the bike to hang vertically, but not parallel to the wall (http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Leonardo...5284659&sr=1-3) or parallel to the wall, but not vertically (http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-5E0...5284727&sr=1-6).

    As I mentioned, I need both. I did find an image of someone using a Cycloc wall mount to achieve this (http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/ui...08cycle-01.jpg), but these seem quite expensive.

    Does anybody know of any relatively inexpensive wall mounted bike racks that will allow me to hang my bike in such a manner? Any alternative solutions are welcome as well! Also, for what it's worth, I can't hang anything from my ceiling.

    Thanks,

    P.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,012
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Home Depot or the like and find a "closet shelf bracket"

    It'll look like a big "L" bracket but with a curl on the end to hold one end of a clothes rod. Pad the curl with a section of old inner tube or something. If you can screw it into a wall stud, you'll be good-to-go. If you can't screw into the wall, you'll have to design a vertical holder of some kind.

  3. #3
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-CÚsaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just put a big hook on the ceiling, near the wall, and hang my bike by the front Wheel.
    Originally Posted by Leebo
    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!
    Tabarnac de vent!!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    I would just put a big hook on the ceiling, near the wall, and hang my bike by the front Wheel.
    Unfortunately, I can't hang anything from my ceiling.
    Last edited by mofongotron; 07-31-13 at 01:37 PM.

  5. #5
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you put one of the perpendicular hangers near a corner, so the bike is parallel to the wall in the corner?

    Failing that can you secure a big hook to the wall and hang your bike from it by the front wheel, with or without the back wheel resting on the ground to reduce the weight on the wheel?
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Go to Home Depot or the like and find a "closet shelf bracket"

    It'll look like a big "L" bracket but with a curl on the end to hold one end of a clothes rod. Pad the curl with a section of old inner tube or something. If you can screw it into a wall stud, you'll be good-to-go. If you can't screw into the wall, you'll have to design a vertical holder of some kind.
    Interesting! I'll have to look into that. Would the bike tire be hanging from the curl in the bracket?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,012
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mofongotron View Post
    Interesting! I'll have to look into that. Would the bike tire be hanging from the curl in the bracket?
    Yeah.

    What kind of bike? The closet shelf hanger will definitely work for a road bike with dropped handlebars but I'm less sure about a flat bar bike. You might have to get a little creative with twisting the stem and handlebars.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    Can you put one of the perpendicular hangers near a corner, so the bike is parallel to the wall in the corner?
    Given the layout of my space, this is not possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    Failing that can you secure a big hook to the wall and hang your bike from it by the front wheel, with or without the back wheel resting on the ground to reduce the weight on the wheel?


    I should be able to! I just need to figure out which solution would work best for me.
    Last edited by mofongotron; 07-31-13 at 01:39 PM.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    What kind of bike? The closet shelf hanger will definitely work for a road bike with dropped handlebars but I'm less sure about a flat bar bike. You might have to get a little creative with twisting the stem and handlebars.
    Right. It's a Jamis Beatnik (http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...eatnik_ws.html), and the handlebars are indeed flat. Would it help if the handlebars were turned slightly?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,012
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mofongotron View Post
    Right. It's a Jamis Beatnik (http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...eatnik_ws.html), and the handlebars are indeed flat. Would it help if the handlebars were turned slightly?
    Maybe. When you get your shelf bracket see how wide it is vs. your bike's handlebar. It might be OK as is. If not, I'd rather spacer the bracket away from the wall than have to mess with twisting my handlebar back every time I took my bike out to ride.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Maybe. When you get your shelf bracket see how wide it is vs. your bike's handlebar. It might be OK as is. If not, I'd rather spacer the bracket away from the wall than have to mess with twisting my handlebar back every time I took my bike out to ride.
    Good call. In essence, I would need to make sure that the length of the shelf rack is longer than the distance between the tip of the handlebar and the wheel (where the bike would be hanging from). 12"-12.5" should suffice.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm understanding the 'closet bracket' correctly, it should be designed to stick out a foot from the wall as it is; I'm picturing a bracket that holds a hanger rod....

    'Turning' the handlebar doesn't require "TWISTING" them out of alignment, just turning the front wheel a tiny bit to land on the hook.

    Worth a try......

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    If I'm understanding the 'closet bracket' correctly, it should be designed to stick out a foot from the wall as it is; I'm picturing a bracket that holds a hanger rod....

    'Turning' the handlebar doesn't require "TWISTING" them out of alignment, just turning the front wheel a tiny bit to land on the hook.

    Worth a try......

    Correct, sorry if I was unclear earlier. This is what I plan on doing.

  14. #14
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,948
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on installing a couple of Saris Bike Tracs in my dining room so I can be more like tsl.



    They're something like $35 or $40 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Go to Home Depot or the like and find a "closet shelf bracket"
    I took your advice, and for a total of about $8 I had all the equipment necessary to hang up my bike on a wall stud. It seems fairly sturdy, and let's hope it stays that way! This is how it turned out:



    Thanks for everyone's input!

    P.

  16. #16
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,866
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. White bike, white hanger.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,012
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it when a plan comes together.

  19. #19
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the confines of my upcoming compartment (apartment they say), I think I will follow this example as well.

    M.

  20. #20
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool solution. Just don't forget to take your water bottles off the bike before you hang it
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •