Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,636
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which of the well known bike lubes are the least unpleasant, smell-wise?

    Among the popular bike lubes, which ones have less odor and are the least unpleasant? I've read reviews that say ProLink, Dumonde have strong awful smells. What about Pedro's GO! lube? And other good quality lubes? (Comparisons to Finishline Wet Chain lube and Tri-Flow will be helpful to me as I've used them.)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Mateo and a few others
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Rock 'n' Roll Gold and haven't noticed any smell. But with that said, I lube outside, keep the bikes in the garage, and don't have a particularly keen sense of smell.

  3. #3
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I have always thought Pro-link was fairly pleasant smelling. It isn't particularly strong.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  4. #4
    Senior Member SPiN 360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Roam XR1
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Finish Line Dry Teflon and didn't smell anything.

  5. #5
    Senior Member the fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    the wall
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really thought this was going to be about chamois cream

  6. #6
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're talking chain lube? If so, Rock n Roll Gold. OTOH, who cares what it smells like?
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  7. #7
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,636
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I care. I have to keep the bike inside an apartment and I do everything inside (still looking for a good bike stand). On top of that, I have a keen sense of smell. Thanks for the informative replies.

  8. #8
    Senior Member buffalowings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the smell of bike lube, go finish line teflon!
    Noooooo! My thread!! -_________- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/896498-Do-you-pack-quot-heat-quot-while-cycling

  9. #9
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,939
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Smelling pretty" is at the bottom of my list of priorities when it comes to bike/car lubes. I use chainsaw oil (soon to be switching to Chain-L) on the bikes, Rotella 15W40 in the cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  10. #10
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,111
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the hot wax (parafin ) method.
    NO smell. You will never get a chain tattoo either.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Smell that? You smell that? Chain lube, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of chain lube in the morning."

  12. #12
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,636
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about mixing your morning coffee with some chain lube?
    Last edited by vol; 08-04-13 at 12:37 AM.

  13. #13
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Among the popular bike lubes, which ones have less odor and are the least unpleasant? I've read reviews that say ProLink, Dumonde have strong awful smells. What about Pedro's GO! lube? And other good quality lubes? (Comparisons to Finishline Wet Chain lube and Tri-Flow will be helpful to me as I've used them.)
    Pedro's Go! and Pedro's Chain-j both smell of castor oil. The Pedro's SYN LUBE has a completely different odor - very light, and the Pedro's ICE WAX has a very similar, but stronger smell.

    I personally don't find the Finish Line WET lube offensive, but if you're looking for a wet lube with less odor - Finish Line CERAMIC WET also has a very light odor.

    You would probably hate BIONETXC lubes, as well as CHAIN-L, even though some of those addatives that make them smell strongly also make them more effective lubricants.

    Purple Extreme is a synthetic and doesn't smell like oil, but the odor level will still be on a par with Finish Line Wet.

    Dry lubes in general are almost oderless once set up after 24 hours, but since the carrier has to evaporate in the meantime - the smell can be worse indoors. White Lightning products are all low odor, but most of their products require very frequent applications and wiping down afterwards - which IMO requires more effort than most other lubes. They also make a wet lube WET RIDE, which would offer no advantages over the FinishLine you've already used.

    Maybe an alternative might be to try a different strategy: Lube and wipe down the bike outside in a park someplace. That'll result in as little odor in the apartment as possible.

  14. #14
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,368
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KY ?






    Some guys prefer the smell of Diesel , to overdoing a strong perfume.. just sayin'
    Last edited by fietsbob; 08-05-13 at 11:02 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northern NY...Brownville
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Posts
    1,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be a slow news day...
    sheesh...
    What lube smells better? wait a minute...hey honey what lube smells better? Troj...what??? I don't have no Troj...oh never mind hehehe...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,617
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the smell of napalm (and Chain-L) in the morning.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    771
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only lubes I have used are: Triflow - no detectable smell on ordinary riding or in the garage Chain-L No.5 - strong auto engine oil smell, but pleasant. Can smell it when standing a few feet from bike while in garage. Boeshield - no detectable smell in garage or while riding, or standing near bike.

  18. #18
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,636
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    Pedro's Go! and Pedro's Chain-j both smell of castor oil. The Pedro's SYN LUBE has a completely different odor - very light, and the Pedro's ICE WAX has a very similar, but stronger smell.

    I personally don't find the Finish Line WET lube offensive, but if you're looking for a wet lube with less odor - Finish Line CERAMIC WET also has a very light odor.

    You would probably hate BIONETXC lubes, as well as CHAIN-L, even though some of those addatives that make them smell strongly also make them more effective lubricants.

    Purple Extreme is a synthetic and doesn't smell like oil, but the odor level will still be on a par with Finish Line Wet.

    Dry lubes in general are almost oderless once set up after 24 hours, but since the carrier has to evaporate in the meantime - the smell can be worse indoors. White Lightning products are all low odor, but most of their products require very frequent applications and wiping down afterwards - which IMO requires more effort than most other lubes. They also make a wet lube WET RIDE, which would offer no advantages over the FinishLine you've already used.

    Maybe an alternative might be to try a different strategy: Lube and wipe down the bike outside in a park someplace. That'll result in as little odor in the apartment as possible.
    Thank you so much, Burton. That's a great suggestion to clean and lube the bike in a park. I don't know why I have never given it a thought. I always associate with doing the cleaning "outside" with right outside the apartment building. Next time I'll remember bringing the tools with me when out on a ride!

    Actually anything no more smelly than Finishline Wet Lube and Tri-Flow are fine for me. (Since I always used these two at the same time, I'm not sure which one gives stronger smell.)

    By the way how do you like the function of "Pedro's GO!" lube? Comparing to Finishline Cross Country Wet Chain Lube?

  19. #19
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    ...

    By the way how do you like the function of "Pedro's GO!" lube? Comparing to Finishline Cross Country Wet Chain Lube?
    Hi Vol - I'd say they're pretty equivalent. Both biodegradable - which means you can't expect to lube a chain once and forget it. Both intended for hard 150km plus rides in harsh conditions. Both need to have the excess wiped off the chain to avoid attracting road build-up on the chain and jockey wheels.

    We're using Finish Line Wet and Dry in the shop largely because they're some of the few high end lubes that are available in shop-sized quantities so I obviously like what you're already using.

    Personally I'm currently doing a season on Purple Extreme because it's extremely low viscosity makes it easy to apply in warm or cold weather. And it handles rain pretty well. There are about 20 applications in a bottle which works out to about $1.25 per lube.

    Have to point out that I lube about every 150kms though - more often if there's lots of rain involved. That means at least twice a week. Much heavier viscosity oils like SAE 90 hypoid gear oils do last longer in the rain, but not significantly enough to make up for the extra dirt they attract. An issue since I'm running alloy chainrings -and not steel ones.

    Both that Finish Line Wet and Trifloware good products. No reason to look around unless its just curiosity.

  20. #20
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,636
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burton, thanks. I like the Tri-Flow straw . I hope Finishline improves the nozzle, making it longer and more tipped. I'd like to try Pedro's Oranj Peelz Citrus degreaser, which is supposed to smell like orange .

  21. #21
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    OTOH, who cares what it smells like?
    Really, this is too funny! I ride my bike, I don't sit around and sniff the chain.

  22. #22
    Senior Member jowilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope, 1971 Triumph
    Posts
    561
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use a lube enough then you can't really smell it. You get used to iit and don't even notice it. I agre with Mr. Beanz; you should be riding your bike, not sniffing the chain or hubs.
    The sun'll come out tomorrow.

  23. #23
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Really, this is too funny! I ride my bike, I don't sit around and sniff the chain.
    I happen to like cats - other people are allergic to them. We're all a little different - might as well get used to it.

  24. #24
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    I happen to like cats - other people are allergic to them. We're all a little different - might as well get used to it.
    Well I have no objections if you would like to sniff my chain too. Have at it!


    But OK Mr Life's Lessons () Knowing that we are all different means asking a forum consisting of thousands of poster which is most unpleasant makes this topic even that much more silly doesn't it?
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 08-05-13 at 12:36 AM.

  25. #25
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Well I have no objections if you would like to sniff my chain too. Have at it!


    But OK Mr Life's Lessons () Knowing that we are all different means asking a forum consisting of thousands of poster which is most unpleasant makes this topic even that much more silly doesn't it?
    What's really silly is you being unable to simply skip this thread if you have nothing constructive to add to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •