Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Is it necessary to lube the bike after every ride in rain? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/905421-necessary-lube-bike-after-every-ride-rain.html)

vol 08-03-13 10:25 PM

Is it necessary to lube the bike after every ride in rain?
 
I had just thoroughly cleaned and lubed my bike a few days ago. Today was the first time I rode after that, and I rode in rain (though not heavy rain). After I came back, I clean the bike removing the dirt, and wiped the chain. Should I lube the chain and other parts again?

buffalowings 08-03-13 10:55 PM

Depends on which lube, if you used a very thin lube (which you should because it penetrates all the gaps in the chain) then yes, lube after every ride in the rain. If you used something like finish line cross country lube, then it might be okay to not lube it. If your chain starts squeaking, then lube it by all means.

009jim 08-04-13 01:19 AM

You'll more than likely need to lube your chain. If not, the next ride you will be able to hear it scraping and grinding. In regard to other areas such as pin joints for the derailer pantographs, I expect you'd need not lube them until a few rides in the rain (say a week).

Kai Winters 08-04-13 10:15 AM

When caught in the rain I always relube my chain...I usually give my bike a complete once over but at the minimum take a few minutes to lube the chain or watch the nice film of surface rust appear pretty quickly.

ThermionicScott 08-04-13 12:45 PM

The smellier your chain lube is, the less likely you'll need to reapply after riding in the rain. ;)

vol 08-04-13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 15924125)
The smellier your chain lube is, the less likely you'll need to reapply after riding in the rain. ;)

:lol: :lol: Maybe I should add blue cheese to my chain lube?

Kai Winters 08-04-13 09:49 PM

lol...

Northwestrider 08-05-13 08:46 AM

Necessary , no. A good idea, yes. I ride a lot in rain, and lube every few days only. Having said that, the life of my chains is still pretty good.

Jeff Wills 08-06-13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwestrider (Post 15926912)
Necessary , no. A good idea, yes. I ride a lot in rain, and lube every few days only. Having said that, the life of my chains is still pretty good.

Me too. I don't ride every day when it's raining, but enough that 10 or 15 rides happen between lube sessions. Personally, I would use a heavy "wet" lube and only reapply when the chain got noisy. Remember to clean your chain before lubing- applying oil to a dirty chain just drive grit into the rollers, where it does the most damage.

aaronmcd 08-06-13 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills (Post 15933644)
Me too. I don't ride every day when it's rainSeems to work. ng, but enough that 10 or 15 rides happen between lube sessions. Personally, I would use a heavy "wet" lube and only reapply when the chain got noisy. Remember to clean your chain before lubing- applying oil to a dirty chain just drive grit into the rollers, where it does the most damage.

The lube I get is supposed to clean the chain as well as lubricate it. Seems to work. Also I never have to lube after one ride in the rain.

Jeff Wills 08-07-13 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 15933767)
The lube I get is supposed to clean the chain as well as lubricate it. Seems to work. Also I never have to lube after one ride in the rain.

I wouldn't trust a product that's supposed to both remove dirt and provide lubrication. Either it comes off the chain (taking dirt with it) or it stays in place (keeping moving parts from contacting each other). These two things seem to be mutually exclusive.

jputnam 08-13-13 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vol (Post 15922744)
I had just thoroughly cleaned and lubed my bike a few days ago. Today was the first time I rode after that, and I rode in rain (though not heavy rain). After I came back, I clean the bike removing the dirt, and wiped the chain. Should I lube the chain and other parts again?

I commute all winter in Seattle, rain or shine. I lube my chain at least three times a year, sometimes four, using foul-smelling hypoid gear oil that I actually bought for the lower unit of my outboard motor.

But then, I have fenders and a chain guard. They make a huge difference in chain lube life.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:27 AM.