Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sturmey Archer 2 Speed Hub

    Hello, 1st post

    I just bought a Marin Ignacio with a Sturmey Archer 2 speed kickback hub. It is my first road style bike.

    I really like the bike, but think I would like to play with the gearing some. They are listed as direct drive and an overdrive of 138%. It is advertised as coming with a 44t/17t gear ratio, but mine came out of the box with a 44t/24t.

    I area of Florida I live is very flat. I am not really using the overdrive gear except for easier starts, but have to shift almost immediately. I am also wanting a easier / faster cruising gear.

    What do you guys recommend? Would correcting the rear sprocket to a 17t give me more of what I want? What would happen if I changed the front to something like a 50t?

    Thanks for any help

    Photo0355.jpgPhoto0358.jpgPhoto0356.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tominjax View Post
    Hello, 1st post

    I just bought a Marin Ignacio with a Sturmey Archer 2 speed kickback hub. It is my first road style bike.

    I really like the bike, but think I would like to play with the gearing some. They are listed as direct drive and an overdrive of 138%. It is advertised as coming with a 44t/17t gear ratio, but mine came out of the box with a 44t/24t.

    I area of Florida I live is very flat. I am not really using the overdrive gear except for easier starts, but have to shift almost immediately. I am also wanting a easier / faster cruising gear.

    What do you guys recommend? Would correcting the rear sprocket to a 17t give me more of what I want? What would happen if I changed the front to something like a 50t?

    Thanks for any help

    Photo0355.jpgPhoto0358.jpgPhoto0356.jpg
    Swapping the rear cog is far simpler and cheaper than changing the chain ring. I suggest you ride it like it is for a bit, and if you decide you do want it faster, change to a smaller cog. They're cheap, so if you have to make a couple of tries to get it right, you won't be out much.
    Another benefit of changing the rear rather than the front is, you get to shorten the chain, whereas if you go to a larger chain ring, you probably need a new chain too.
    Looking at the photos, it looks like you have the non coaster brake version. I have one with a coaster brake. I forget what my gearing is right now, it's low, something like 33/18 I think. Great for what I use it for.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,762
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hub cogs are cheap do the math find your cruising overdrive gear, the other one is for stoplight re-starts.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have a 19t and a 17t on order from Amazon. Still curious as to what a 50t front would do.
    Last edited by tominjax; 08-15-13 at 07:23 AM.

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,762
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    44:17 .... 2.588:1

    50:19 ... 2.631:1

    Floriduh? its a tooth count ratio ... proportions ..

  6. #6
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,763
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was already said, rear cogs are much easier/cheaper to buy/swapout but you'll probably want the snap ring tool or a bunch of snap rings as they wear out quickly. There's some minor hills here, but on my coaster brake SS I usually run a 52x16 no over drive option so depending on your fitness level you could go even higher geared then what you're thinking now.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  7. #7
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    As was already said, rear cogs are much easier/cheaper to buy/swapout but you'll probably want the snap ring tool or a bunch of snap rings as they wear out quickly. There's some minor hills here, but on my coaster brake SS I usually run a 52x16 no over drive option so depending on your fitness level you could go even higher geared then what you're thinking now.
    Snap ring tool? Small flat bladed screwdriver. Never yet seen a worn out snap ring.

    Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 08-15-13 at 08:26 AM.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  8. #8
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,763
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Snap ring tool? Small flat bladed screwdriver. Never yet seen a worn out snap ring.

    Really? I tear them up like mad, friend of mine has a weird kinda pry wrench thing very flat and does the job quickly. I'll see if I can find out where he got it.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  9. #9
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    Really? I tear them up like mad, friend of mine has a weird kinda pry wrench thing very flat and does the job quickly. I'll see if I can find out where he got it.
    I've seen the tabs worn off the cogs, and even then the snap rings were fine. I used to service industrial tricycles for a local drywall manufacturer. Their mechanics used them on the plant floor with up to 500 lb of tools thrown on the back. (These were delta style with a coaster brake mid drive.) They used up the cogs over time, but like I said, never saw a snap ring that could not be re used.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  10. #10
    Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    5,763
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    I've seen the tabs worn off the cogs, and even then the snap rings were fine. I used to service industrial tricycles for a local drywall manufacturer. Their mechanics used them on the plant floor with up to 500 lb of tools thrown on the back. (These were delta style with a coaster brake mid drive.) They used up the cogs over time, but like I said, never saw a snap ring that could not be re used.
    LoL I must be doing something wrong then, and so is my buddy I'd guess.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”


    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

  11. #11
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,188
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dan, never had a problem with snap rings, worn out a few cogs though. FWIW I have around 20 IGH bikes, one has over 35,000 miles on the original S-A AW 3 speed hub. It is on it's second or third cog now, AFAIK the original snap ring.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  12. #12
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tominjax View Post
    Still curious as to what a 50t front would do.
    Hi,

    Nothing a much simpler change to a smaller rear will do.
    Its ~ +14%, changing the 24t to 21t is also ~ +14%.

    You would only do it if the smallest rear cog you can
    fit still does not give enough gearing with the 44t.

    Your 19t is ~ +26%, the 17t ~ +41%, relative to the
    24t, there is 12% difference between the 19t and 17t.

    rgds, sreten.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •