Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   I got those ol time Skab Blues? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/907971-i-got-those-ol-time-skab-blues.html)

Corben 08-17-13 03:36 PM

I got those ol time Skab Blues?
 
Skab Patches from Slime....
Taking up all my ride time.
Keep having to redo repairs..
So going back to the tube
And dem rubber squares....

Looigi 08-18-13 07:10 AM

Cute. Agrees with my experience with Park and Slime stick-ons; great for a quick fix on the road, but replaced with a glue-on when a convenient opportunity arises. I carry a spare tube to fix a flat, and a couple of stick-ons in the rare event of a second flat. Most of my tubes have a number of glue-on patches.

Corben 08-18-13 11:13 AM

Thank you.....
It was frustrating. I cant find a basic patch and glue kits as easy as I use to. Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreens.. all the old dependable drug stores that you use to be able to count on for all your bicycle tire needs no longer stock them in my neighborhood. In all fairness Wal-Mart does have a empty peg for some in their bike dept. Just on a whim I dashed over to a Kragans auto store next to CVS and found what is called the Classic Kit. Contains 20 1" patches, 1 huge patch and a few odd balls. Plus two tubes of cement!! And for just three and a half bucks!

Corben 08-18-13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looigi (Post 15973057)
Cute. Agrees with my experience with Park and Slime stick-ons; great for a quick fix on the road, but replaced with a glue-on when a convenient opportunity arises. I carry a spare tube to fix a flat, and a couple of stick-ons in the rare event of a second flat. Most of my tubes have a number of glue-on patches.

Which brings up a question....Can one have too many patches on a tube? Is there a limit?

Looigi 08-18-13 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corben (Post 15973598)
Which brings up a question....Can one have too many patches on a tube? Is there a limit?

It's a personal thing. I have tubes with 5, maybe 6 patches. Properly applied, they're as reliable as the tube itself, maybe even more puncture resistant...

jon c. 08-18-13 02:53 PM

Tubes are cheap enough that I've decided patching just isn't worth the effort. I just wish I could recycle the old ones locally.

Looigi 08-19-13 07:17 AM

Tubes are cheap enough, but I like patching tubes...and the smell of the glue. I don't do it on the road, but at my leisure at home. I usually save up a few and do them at one time.

Velo Dog 08-19-13 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corben (Post 15973598)
Which brings up a question....Can one have too many patches on a tube? Is there a limit?

I patch until they overlap, or until something happens that I can't patch. The most I remember is 13, and I only gave up on that one because it tore near the valve where I couldn't put a patch.
There's no reason not to. I've certainly put on 100 patches, maybe more, and I've had only two failures. One of those was my fault (some Slime had leaked out the puncture and I didn't get it all cleaned off). I've heard people complain about the weight, or say a patch throws the wheel out of balance, but that's just silly.

10 Wheels 08-19-13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corben (Post 15971429)
Skab Patches from Slime....
Taking up all my ride time.
Keep having to redo repairs..
So going back to the tube
And dem rubber squares....

Round ones.
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1...FYxU7AodpG1DmQ

Corben 08-19-13 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 15977754)

Too expensive. I have used those before and they're good patches for sure.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 AM.