Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-13, 06:05 AM   #1
darrencope
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
darrencope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Perth, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Colnago Classic, Kona Dr. Dew, Giant ATX 740, Bianchi Strada, Eclipse Time Machine
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yakima "Universal Locking Skewer" - Is it just me, or do these things suck?

I know these are very commonly used, as they come by default with almost all Yakima fork-mount racks, which are everywhere. I rarely hear anyone complain about/have issues with the Yakima Universal Locking Skewer. However, they've been nothing but trouble for me! Am I missing something?

I find that they are extremely difficult to adjust (tighten/loosen to fit different fork sizes), need to be adjusted every few days even for the same fork size (despite only opening and closing them to put the bike on/off, not turning anything, etc.) and just generally being unreliable. I've had one break (the piece that springs back no longer springs because the little ring holding it all together let go.) Mine also randomly stop locking (the core will not turn the little tab) unless I open it up fully, wiggle it around, press on it, then try again. In general these things just seem to be very poorly engineered, and a huge pain to deal with.

Am I just using these incorrectly, or did I happen to get two duds? Or is everyone else having the same issues but not talking about it because they figure that's just the way it is?

I'm looking at alternatives, and so far have the following list. I'm not sure which will work with the Yakima system (I have two Copperheads specifically), but perhaps we can start a discussion.
  • SlickFit Locking Long Throw Skewer - looks good, but not much info on the company, and no reviews other than two mentions here on BFs (which seem fairly positive at least) - it for sure looks like these will work with the Yakima.
  • Topper Loc Locking Skewer - I don't like the seperate lock; I prefer one built in. Not sure if it will work with the Yakima system?
  • Saris Locking Skewer - not sure if this would work with Yakima?

Other options I am missing? Thoughts? The RockyMounts system looks to be a way better design, but I'm fairly certain it will not work on a Yakima.
darrencope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 06:49 PM   #2
PlanoFuji
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plano, TX
Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrencope View Post
I find that they are extremely difficult to adjust (tighten/loosen to fit different fork sizes),
I haven't found this at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrencope View Post
need to be adjusted every few days even for the same fork size (despite only opening and closing them to put the bike on/off, not turning anything, etc.)
I have never had this occur. Indeed, after initial setting I use the same setup on all my bikes; however, when I had a disc brake mountain bike it did require different settings which took less than a minute to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrencope View Post
I've had one break (the piece that springs back no longer springs because the little ring holding it all together let go.)
I would suspect that you are putting way too much force on the device if this occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrencope View Post
Mine also randomly stop locking (the core will not turn the little tab) unless I open it up fully, wiggle it around, press on it, then try again.
Well like any machine they do require a little lubrication on a regular basis, especially if subjected to wet weather. This may be your problem in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrencope View Post
In general these things just seem to be very poorly engineered, and a huge pain to deal with.
I disagree, I think they are very well engineered, particularly in terms of locking and are very easy to use.
PlanoFuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.