Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Is this a good way to wash your bike. (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/914313-good-way-wash-your-bike.html)

cyclezealot 09-22-13 10:55 AM

Is this a good way to wash your bike.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Or , at least don't use the high pressure spray.?


http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342137

chaadster 09-22-13 11:49 AM

Gee, that looks like a royal pain in the butt.

ahsposo 09-22-13 12:27 PM

Do you get in there with it? Fool around a little?

KLiNCK 09-22-13 12:34 PM

Looks like a good way to potentially scratch things... not to mention the mess it will make of your bathroom.
Just use a bucket and rag with some warm water/dish soap.
Outside.

tim24k 09-22-13 01:56 PM

[h=2]Is this a good way to wash your bike.[/h]
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclezealot (Post 16092287)
Or , at least don't use the high pressure spray.?


http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342137

NO! My wife would kill me.;)

Looigi 09-22-13 01:56 PM

Done that a few times, at home and in hotel rooms. Agree it makes a mess, but just clean it up.

walrus1 09-22-13 02:41 PM

I never even thought about putting my bike in the shower. However I fear my next step would be to tuck into bed with me every night. Then I might as well date it.:love:

SpeshulEd 09-22-13 03:13 PM

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Stap..._sc7?$splssku$

I've found that about once a week if I give the bike a quick wipe down lysol wipes, things stay fairly clean.

Of course if you want to save the planet and not use crappy disposable wipes, white vinegar and an old t-shirt will do the trick too. Of course, you're going to need a bit more time and patience (and some kind of degreaser) for the drive train.

walrus1 09-22-13 03:57 PM

In all seriousness, old rags and or paper towels used in conjunction with Simple Green works wonders!

ThermionicScott 09-22-13 04:37 PM

Looks like a good way to get water in the bearings.

Clawed 09-22-13 05:47 PM

Simple Green on aluminum is a no no. Use a cheap car wash product. There are lots f them.

walrus1 09-22-13 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clawed (Post 16093275)
Simple Green on aluminum is a no no. Use a cheap car wash product. There are lots f them.

I don't have access to a hose. My bike mechanic told me to use simple green. What cheap cleaner would you recommend?

Clawed 09-22-13 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walrus1 (Post 16093302)
I don't have access to a hose. My bike mechanic told me to use simple green. What cheap cleaner would you recommend?

Ordinary Simple Green is a caustic that will dull aluminum and probably cause long term damage if you can't rinse it off. Go to any car parts store and look for quick detailer or gallon jugs of cheap car wash soap. Just not Simple Green. I quit using it when I ruined the wheels on a BMW motorcycle.

(there is a special Simple Green made for use on bicycles. I assume that you would have specified that if that was what you were talking about.)

walrus1 09-22-13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clawed (Post 16093339)
Ordinary Simple Green is a caustic that will dull aluminum and probably cause long term damage if you can't rinse it off. Go to any car parts store and look for quick detailer or gallon jugs of cheap car wash soap. Just not Simple Green. I quit using it when I ruined the wheels on a BMW motorcycle.

(there is a special Simple Green made for use on bicycles. I assume that you would have specified that if that was what you were talking about.)

Is it ok to use soap if I can't hose it off?

I have a steel bike bike and can't seem to find any problems with using Simple Green.

Roody 09-22-13 10:26 PM

:D

i don't see how it could be any worse than rain. But at least take her out for dinner and a show first!

Roody 09-22-13 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walrus1 (Post 16093665)
Is it ok to use soap if I can't hose it off?

I have a steel bike bike and can't seem to find any problems with using Simple Green.

You can't just smear soap on it and not rinse it off. If you don't have a hose just pour tap water on it from a two liter pop bottle. Do it in the driveway or out by the curb. Or wash it in the park like the car drivers do.

Looigi 09-23-13 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 16094103)
You can't just smear soap on it and not rinse it off. If you don't have a hose just pour tap water on it from a two liter pop bottle. Do it in the driveway or out by the curb. Or wash it in the park like the car drivers do.

That can become more challenging when it's below freezing.

MrLucky 09-23-13 08:32 AM

While we are on this subject, I brush with fairy soap and rinse off with the hose, is that okay?

Roody 09-23-13 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looigi (Post 16094817)
That can become more challenging when it's below freezing.

Use warm water.

Nightshade 09-23-13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclezealot (Post 16092287)
Or , at least don't use the high pressure spray.?


http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342137

A good way? No, it is not.

Can you say plug your drain with mud then pay $$$$$$$$$$$ to plumber to fix!

TromboneAl 09-23-13 01:59 PM

This is much more thorough:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3501/3...03dac831_z.jpg

Looigi 09-23-13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 16095207)
Use warm water.

The water in the shower is warm.

SpeshulEd 09-28-13 07:02 AM

OMG, I totally know where to get my next pair of women's gucci shoes. Thanks!

Ugh, spam. Reported.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.