Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Short, Lightweight Bar End recommendations? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/915377-short-lightweight-bar-end-recommendations.html)

daihard 09-28-13 06:53 PM

Short, Lightweight Bar End recommendations?
 
I've installed the Bontrager bar-end adapters on my FX. This allows me to add "clamp-style" bar ends for long-distance rides.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

I'd like my bar ends to be short and lightweight. I'm willing to spend up to $60 for them.

Thanks in advance!

JanMM 09-29-13 06:48 PM

'cramp-style' bar ends?

daihard 09-29-13 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 16115829)
'cramp-style' bar ends?

That's what the Bontrager site for the bar-end adapters says. I gather that there are different ways you attach a bar end to the handlebar. Apparently "cramp-style" bar ends refer to those you attach to the handlebar by tightening the clamp around the end of the handlebar.

My FX comes with an "IsoZone" handlebar with integrated ergonomic elastomers inside the grips. In order to be able to attach bar ends, you need to replace these elastomers with the shorter ones that come with this adapter kit. The kit also includes longer handlebar caps, which you insert into the ends. The caps go all the way in when you don't have bar ends. To add bar ends, you tighten the clamp around the cap, insert the cap into the grip as far as you can, and then tighten the cramp of the handlebar.

JanMM 09-29-13 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daihard (Post 16115860)
That's what the Bontrager site for the bar-end adapters says. I gather that there are different ways you attach a bar end to the handlebar. Apparently "cramp-style" bar ends refer to those you attach to the handlebar by tightening the cramp around the end of the handlebar.

My FX comes with an "IsoZone" handlebar with integrated ergonomic elastomers inside the grips. In order to be able to attach bar ends, you need to replace these elastomers with the shorter ones that come with this adapter kit. The kit also includes longer handlebar caps, which you insert into the ends. The caps go all the way in when you don't have bar ends. To add bar ends, you tighten the cramp around the cap, insert the cap into the grip as far as you can, and then tighten the cramp of the handlebar.

Do you mean 'clamp'? That's the traditional way of attaching bar ends to bars.
From Wiki's handlebar entry:
Some handlebars have bar ends welded onto them but most are clamped to the end of the bar.
Bar ends were very popular on mountain bikes from the early 1990s until the late 1990s.


Bought my first set of bar ends sometime around 1993 - they clamped onto the bars.

daihard 09-29-13 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 16115958)
Do you mean 'clamp'? That's the traditional way of attaching bar ends to bars.
From Wiki's handlebar entry:
Some handlebars have bar ends welded onto them but most are clamped to the end of the bar.
Bar ends were very popular on mountain bikes from the early 1990s until the late 1990s.


Bought my first set of bar ends sometime around 1993 - they clamped onto the bars.

Yeah, that's it! Thanks for the correction. See how Japanese I am... can't tell between L's and R's. :) I will correct the spelling on the previous posts.

JanMM 09-29-13 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daihard (Post 16115965)
Yeah, that's it! Thanks for the correction. See how Japanese I am... can't tell between L's and R's. :) I will correct the spelling on the previous posts.

Between used and new, you should be able to find whatever length of bar ends you wish to find. Most of them very similar to each other.

http://www.bikeman.com/Bar_Ends.html

Bar ends can be very useful on flat bar bikes ridden more than a few miles.

daihard 09-29-13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 16116027)
Between used and new, you should be able to find whatever length of bar ends you wish to find. Most of them very similar to each other.

http://www.bikeman.com/Bar_Ends.html

Bar ends can be very useful on flat bar bikes ridden more than a few miles.

Cool, thanks. That seems like a very useful site. I often ride longer than 20 miles at once on my hybrid bike. My hands can get pretty numb towards the end.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.