Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    My Bikes
    A MTN Bike, a road bike, and a 'bent
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bar tape...35 bucks??!!!

    I fell over and tore the tape on my bars. So I went to the LBS today to get replacement tape.

    Holy smokes!! 35 bucks for tape? That's insane.

    Even cheaper tape was 20 bucks...which is only slightly less insane.

  2. #2
    Sprinter linus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lizardskin tape retails 60bux in Canada

  3. #3
    Senior Member GeneO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Posts
    720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is a performance bike around you, their tape is pretty good and will run you $10-$15. Or buy some online. LBS has a big markup.
    2012 Felt F55X

  4. #4
    Casual Student of C&V J.Oxley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    84 Schwinn Tempo, 72 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    682
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have tons of experience with tape, but the Planet Bike cork tape I get at my LBS is $15 and it seems plenty comfy and functional to me. I had about $5 worth of sticker shock the first time I bought it, but I came in thinking tape was tape and it must be cheap as dirt.
    ...Or not. hahahaha Check out the $150 gen-u-ine leather stuff online!
    That's enough out of you, legs. Shut up and pedal.

  5. #5
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,356
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can pick up the posh 3.2mm Lizardskins DSP tape locally for $45, but man, does it feel and perform great; don't think I wanna ride anything lesser anymore!
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  6. #6
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard you can use spare tubes, which is my plan when I redo my dropbar.

    M.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,471
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VACaver View Post
    I fell over and tore the tape on my bars. So I went to the LBS today to get replacement tape.

    Holy smokes!! 35 bucks for tape? That's insane.

    Even cheaper tape was 20 bucks...which is only slightly less insane.
    I'm not sure why this is insane. For $40 you can give your bike a whole new look and feel, not much else you can do to achieve that for that cost.

    Also, you have your hands on the bars 100% of the time while riding your bike. Splurge.
    Hey guys, lets go play bikes!

    Strava

  8. #8
    Senior Member Notgrownup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Snow Hill NC
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD 8
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
    If there is a performance bike around you, their tape is pretty good and will run you $10-$15. Or buy some online. LBS has a big markup.
    +1, this is what i bought...$12.00... Wrapped a tire tube around the bars first to add cushion and it finished really nice.
    BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBay - ~$7 shipped - Found this type of deal twice in the last 2 years.
    Bought extras when I found these deals.

  10. #10
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,135
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cotton bar tape was a long favorite..

  11. #11
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,037
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I've heard you can use spare tubes, which is my plan when I redo my dropbar.

    M.
    That's going to look.... awesome.

    It'll keep your hands nice and clean too.

  12. #12
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fizik microtex is usually only $19ish. Definitely my favorite given the balance between quality/feel/price.
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  13. #13
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,345
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nashbar or amazon.
    Twitter@theSurlyBiker

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
    If there is a performance bike around you, their tape is pretty good and will run you $10-$15. Or buy some online. LBS has a big markup.
    Specifically this stuff is the Performance Bike knockoff of Lizard Skins. I have some I'm getting to try out for the first time.

    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400214__400214

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    Also, you have your hands on the bars 100% of the time while riding your bike. Splurge.
    My hands are on the hoods 90% of the time

  15. #15
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,226
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I've heard you can use spare tubes, which is my plan when I redo my dropbar.
    I have an Alchemy backpack made from old tubes. If you wrap your bars in them,be prepared to have your hands constantly smell like rubber.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  16. #16
    Senior Member Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,986
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cotton tape finished with string ftw

    approx five bucks for a bars worth

  17. #17
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,471
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    My hands are on the hoods 90% of the time
    Get in the drops and pedal harder!!! haha...good point, well the edge of your palm might be on the bar still depending on hand size.

    I still say its a cheap way to make your bike look nice. It doesn't have to be $40 but even at $40 there's not many other places to spend that little and have such a large effect on the look of your bike.

    I have cinelli caleido tape on both of my road bikes...it was almost $40 but I get complimented on it all the time so I say its worth it.

    Hey guys, lets go play bikes!

    Strava

  18. #18
    Senior Member GeneO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Posts
    720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    Get in the drops and pedal harder!!! haha...good point, well the edge of your palm might be on the bar still depending on hand size.

    I still say its a cheap way to make your bike look nice. It doesn't have to be $40 but even at $40 there's not many other places to spend that little and have such a large effect on the look of your bike.

    I have cinelli caleido tape on both of my road bikes...it was almost $40 but I get complimented on it all the time so I say its worth it.

    I have been planning on getting that when my bar tape tore. It did yesterday so just pulled the trigger. You can get it for $26 shipped from Amazon.

    BTW what kind of cap do you have at the plugs that covers the outside of the bar? Or is that some kind of tape.
    Last edited by GeneO; 11-04-13 at 09:51 PM.
    2012 Felt F55X

  19. #19
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    I have an Alchemy backpack made from old tubes. If you wrap your bars in them,be prepared to have your hands constantly smell like rubber.
    Pretty sure the implication is to adhese something to the tube.

    M.

  20. #20
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,471
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
    I have been planning on getting that when my bar tape tore. It did yesterday so just pulled the trigger. You can get it for $26 shipped from Amazon.

    BTW what kind of cap do you have at the plugs that covers the outside of the bar? Or is that some kind of tape.
    I think I paid $30 but had to pay shipping as well at the time which came out to about $35. That isn't my picture but I think it's just the tape wrapped around the end and then pushed inside the bar (if we're talking about the same thing). I actually have the blue nitto bar end plugs in mine to match the blue on my bike. I'm a dork.
    Hey guys, lets go play bikes!

    Strava

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, I'd bet $26 bar tape comes with those bar plugs. So I'd wait for it to arrive before buying some other ones.

  22. #22
    Twilight Requiem AdrianFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lonely Mountain
    My Bikes
    TrekFX
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't most of us here in BF making between 30 and 40 bucks an hour? Just get the tape and be sure to also tip the mechanic who installs the tape for ya. Then Tip the cashier.. and then tip the manikin wearing the Northface clothes by the front window. Then when ya get outside just throw another fistfull of 20's into the air.. wheeeeeee!

    The Bearded Fred: Only known cyclist left in the world to be 100% natural and completely free from performance enhancing drugs. Also known for self reliance, amazing talent for satisfying the women and great guitar riffs. Honestly, a full racing kit is absolutely the most ridiculous looking stuff you can wear short of a clown suit."

  23. #23
    Senior Member GeneO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Posts
    720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    I think I paid $30 but had to pay shipping as well at the time which came out to about $35. That isn't my picture but I think it's just the tape wrapped around the end and then pushed inside the bar (if we're talking about the same thing). I actually have the blue nitto bar end plugs in mine to match the blue on my bike. I'm a dork.
    Yes, I was talking about the smooth edge of the bar end. You are probably right, just the tape wrapped around and pushed under the plugs (they did a nice job of it). I usually wrap the bar tape around the end twice, but that gives it a bulge and wastes tape length. I can't wrap it as nicely as that.

    Got Felt logo plugs on mine and like them.
    Last edited by GeneO; 11-04-13 at 11:32 PM.
    2012 Felt F55X

  24. #24
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,356
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also get bar end caps which go over the the handlebar and under the tape. Fairwheel sells these, but if you make less than $40/hr be warned (), as they're $9/pair:


    Personally, for the measly .99 more, I prefer the One-10 Sports carbon fiber plugs:

    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  25. #25
    Senior Member HonestOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in it to save money, can't beat Ebay! Under $3 shipped!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+tape&LH_BIN=1
    - Aaron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •