Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-13, 10:53 AM   #51
MEversbergII
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also, that docu uses massive attack's music. This makes me giddy.

M.
MEversbergII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 11:14 AM   #52
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
On their marketing video they start attacking the rubber part of the lock for a few seconds with an angle grinder the result is no marking on the rubber part. They claim that to defeat the lock you must use several tools in the right order since the rubber part is made of several materials. To sum up they have stolen one of my ideas They start attacking the metal part only with a screwdriver. What they don't show is what happen if the metal part is attacked with an angle grinder instead. Hopefully, if they have put some rubber under the metal part then...
Can you give me a link?
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 11:31 AM   #53
erig007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 6367 km away from the center of the Earth
Bikes:
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozad655 View Post
Can you give me a link?
For sure, i hope you can understand french, video is in french, beware it's full of marketing ***:
by the way i've noticed that they've attacked the metal part with the angle grinder for 1s or so but the video shows only a proof of concept rather than real attacks


Last edited by erig007; 11-10-13 at 12:00 PM.
erig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 11:35 AM   #54
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found this on another forum



The key broke inside, and he explained that it took 15 min to get through with an angle grinder. Another guy had a locksmith cut through it, this time in 10 minuts. No video, but at least an image.

Sry about the weird thumbnails, I had problems adding the image and getting rid of the thumbnails seemed impossible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_mckpssKe9F1r3wk1zo1_1280.jpg (78.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 7AePA.jpg (96.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg krypto.jpg (95.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by mozad655; 11-10-13 at 11:45 AM.
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 11:56 AM   #55
erig007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 6367 km away from the center of the Earth
Bikes:
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozad655 View Post
Found this on another forum



The key broke inside, and he explained that it took 15 min to get through with an angle grinder. Another guy had a locksmith cut through it, this time in 10 minuts. No video, but at least an image.

Sry about the weird thumbnails, I had problems adding the image and getting rid of the thumbnails seemed impossible.

10, 15 minutes seems plausible
erig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 11:57 AM   #56
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
For sure, i hope you can understand french, video is in french, beware it's full of marketing ***: (by the way i've notice that they 've attacked the metal part with the angle grinder for 1.5s)

Very interesting.. Ofcourse they didn't give each of the tests much time, so It's hard to say but the fact that they market it as "theft proof" is still very promising. I look forward to seeing some reviews when it reaches the stores. But 60 euroes? I mean, IF it does what it's supposed to do and even prevents angle grinder attacks, I'd pay hundrds for it.

Added to the story is their promise that if you buy a bicycle from their website, AND the hardlock, you will get a full refund for the bike if it gets stolen - and this goes internationally.

Last edited by mozad655; 11-10-13 at 12:12 PM.
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 12:11 PM   #57
erig007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 6367 km away from the center of the Earth
Bikes:
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozad655 View Post
Very interesting.. Ofcourse they didn't give each of the tests much time, so It's hard to say but the fact that they market it as "theft proof" is still very promising. I look forward to seeing some reviews when it reaches the stores. But 60 euroes? I mean, IF it does what it's supposed to do and even prevents angle grinder attacks, I'd pay hundrds for it.
What they say is that they have created a universal method to test any lock on the market with all the tools that are used by thieves anywhere around the world. They then have asked an independant company to test all the locks (or nearly) available on the market today using this method and it is the hardlock that stood up the tests.

I agree 60 euros is not much. Will see where it stands in real life. I have some doubts with the metal part.
A problem i see is that they claim that thieves have to use some tools in the proper order to defeat the lock, the problem is that once someone find out the order then it becomes useless like when thieves find the proper tools to defeat other locks.
For instance, i was interested in the abus granit extreme 59 but now that i know that it has a big weakness other than the grinder I'm not anymore.

Last edited by erig007; 11-10-13 at 12:24 PM.
erig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 12:36 PM   #58
mozad655
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
A problem i see is that they claim that thieves have to use some tools in the proper order to defeat the lock, the problem is that once someone find out the order then it becomes useless like when thieves find the proper tools to defeat other locks.
Yeh I dont know what they mean by that either. But even so, if it cant be cut through with an angle grinder, no other tool can cut through regardless of order. The anti-grinder layer is the bottelneck I imagine, which makes me wonder why they woudn't make it entirely out of this layer then.
mozad655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.