I'm in need of some help upgrading certain aspects of my bike, and I'm hoping you all can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to change the pedals on my bike, the tires, the seat, and also to add some fenders and a rack. The problem is that I have no idea how to determine what will fit my bike. (For reference, this is my bike: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ruselite#specs) I need help answering the following questions:
1. Are bike pedals universal? I.e., will any set of pedals work well (or fit) any bike? I'm looking for something I can use with any shoes (e.g., maybe the Ergon pedals).
2. How do I know what tires will fit my bike? I can always go with the same tire size if necessary, but I'd like to explore tires of different widths. I think. How does tire width affect the ride?
3. Probably a very stupid question, but how do I know a good seat when I see one? Is there sizing/materials I should check for? I hear Brooks saddles are great, but I wouldn't even know where to start researching the different brands and what their pros/cons are. My bike seat is pretty darn hard, and is causing some numbness. I'm not looking for some silly squishy seat, but something better.
4. If I buy fenders for the bike, does that affect the size of tires I can use?
5. Racks are so confusing to me. Are the sizes universal? What are things to look for in a good rack?
Sorry if this information is posted elsewhere. I've tried some googling and can't really find much basic information. I would greatly appreciate any help/guidance you all can offer!