Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

View Poll Results: Cyclist or bike rider?
Cyclist 56 69.14%
Bike rider 17 20.99%
Other 8 9.88%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-13, 09:57 AM   #51
Fynn
Senior Member
 
Fynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 194
Would you rather be called a janitor or a custodian? I think people tend to pick the one they believe has the least negative connotations.
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 10:21 AM   #52
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
Would you rather be called a janitor or a custodian? I think people tend to pick the one they believe has the least negative connotations.
I must be very naive, I don't see how any of those names can be derogatory or have negative connotations. Is it because a bike rider uses the bike as a mean of transportation because they can't afford a car? Don't get it. Most "cyclist" tend to be old rich doctors... Could that be the negative connotation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cGzu6-q40
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 10:40 AM   #53
Fynn
Senior Member
 
Fynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
I must be very naive, I don't see how any of those names can be derogatory or have negative connotations. Is it because a bike rider uses the bike as a mean of transportation because they can't afford a car? Don't get it. Most "cyclist" tend to be old rich doctors... Could that be the negative connotation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cGzu6-q40
Well, as the poll indicates, everyone must have different experiences. I don't think it is that you are naive, but rather your experiences have probably been different. In my world, "bike riders" are kids or fat guys on Harley's. The bicycle is more of a toy to the average person than it is anything else.

You make a good point that there can be negative connotations to the word cyclist. I have observed some as well. As someone else noted, maybe "bicyclist" is a better term. I might start using that.
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 10:50 AM   #54
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,014
"Bikie."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498

Random parts for sale!
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 11:31 AM   #55
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
Would you rather be called a janitor or a custodian? I think people tend to pick the one they believe has the least negative connotations.
How about "sanitation engineer", or maybe "bicycling traffic engineer"? Fancy sounding professional titles can be added to a business card without much effort.
Sometimes people pick a flowery title in order to impress the gullible.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 12:31 PM   #56
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory
 
prooftheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Bikes: FTP
Posts: 3,084
"engine impaired"
prooftheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 03:54 PM   #57
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Well the military has "petroleum transfer engineers" I pissed a couple off by calling them pump jockeys

I really don't care what you call me and will probably ignore you if I don't like it.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 04:44 PM   #58
jowilson
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mesa, AZ
Bikes: 1992 Trek 800 Antelope, 1971 Triumph
Posts: 561
To further my reasoning for 'bike rider' sounding derogatory, I'll state a few of my philosophies about it.

1. The NEED vs. WANT situation.
I need to ride my bike because...my car is in the shop, I can't afford gas right now, my license was temporarily revoked, etc.

I want to ride my bike because...I like to ride bikes, I enjoy a ride every day, I'm training for an event, etc.

A cyclist wants to ride his/her bike because they simply enjoy it. They may have a car, but ultimately prefer cycling over driving. A bike rider is riding because they don't have any other form of transportation, and will likely purchase a car at the first opportunity to do so because they despise riding a bike.

2. Professionalization
Tour de France winners/competitors don't say "I rode my bike in the TdF", they say "I cycled in the TdF". Wouldn't you all agree that 'cyclist' sounds more professional?

3. As stated by [MENTION=336334]the sci guy[/MENTION], Level of Pretentiousness.
The vast majority of "bike riders" attending my high school ride on BSOs. Being the only one of about 50 or so that doesn't, I definitely feel I have a higher, if not, the highest, status among them. I can easily tell who cares for their bike by their chain, seat height, cleanliness of the bike itself, and overall mechanical condition of parts- Squeaky or not squeaky; too low out of a lack of knowledge of bike fitting; covered in grime or not covered in grime; untuned derailleurs, frayed cables, low tire pressure, wheel trueness.(Respectively). The list can go on. Anyone who falls under such conditions automatically is ranked, in my mind, at the bottom. Call that derogatory, but I don't bully them about it or even tell them what I think.

If you have differing opinions of my philosophies, I don't care. If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it.

Josh

Last edited by jowilson; 11-27-13 at 04:47 PM.
jowilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-13, 07:31 AM   #59
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 731
It's not that I take offense to any other term; rather, it's all about brevity. It just flows better in conversation, i.e. Cyclist vs. Bike rider or Cycle vs. Rode my Bike...

Like I said before, I'd perfer to call myself a biker, but that term is too confusing and would require explaining in many cases. Biker is more natural, sort of like: Hiker, Runner, Fisher, Hunter....Cycler -- Not

So we're stuck with Cyclist
work4bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-13, 09:42 AM   #60
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,943
Drummer vs percussionist
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-13, 07:47 PM   #61
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowilson View Post
Which name do you prefer to be called? To me bike rider sounds derogatory and childish. Cyclist sounds more masculine and adult-like, so I prefer that. What about you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowilson View Post
To further my reasoning for 'bike rider' sounding derogatory, I'll state a few of my philosophies about it.

1. The NEED vs. WANT situation.
I need to ride my bike because...my car is in the shop, I can't afford gas right now, my license was temporarily revoked, etc.

I want to ride my bike because...I like to ride bikes, I enjoy a ride every day, I'm training for an event, etc.

A cyclist wants to ride his/her bike because they simply enjoy it. They may have a car, but ultimately prefer cycling over driving. A bike rider is riding because they don't have any other form of transportation, and will likely purchase a car at the first opportunity to do so because they despise riding a bike.

2. Professionalization
Tour de France winners/competitors don't say "I rode my bike in the TdF", they say "I cycled in the TdF". Wouldn't you all agree that 'cyclist' sounds more professional?

3. As stated by @the sci guy, Level of Pretentiousness.
The vast majority of "bike riders" attending my high school ride on BSOs. Being the only one of about 50 or so that doesn't, I definitely feel I have a higher, if not, the highest, status among them. I can easily tell who cares for their bike by their chain, seat height, cleanliness of the bike itself, and overall mechanical condition of parts- Squeaky or not squeaky; too low out of a lack of knowledge of bike fitting; covered in grime or not covered in grime; untuned derailleurs, frayed cables, low tire pressure, wheel trueness.(Respectively). The list can go on. Anyone who falls under such conditions automatically is ranked, in my mind, at the bottom. Call that derogatory, but I don't bully them about it or even tell them what I think.

If you have differing opinions of my philosophies, I don't care. If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it.

Josh
Your clarification raises two questions.

1. Why did you ask for anybody else's opinion, since you state that you don't care about any opinion other than your own?
2. Since you don't "bully" your classmates about it [your derogatory opinions about them and other bicyclists] or even tell them what you think, why "bully" the readers of this list with your derogatory statements about bicyclists who don't meet your lofty standards?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-13, 09:07 AM   #62
jowilson
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mesa, AZ
Bikes: 1992 Trek 800 Antelope, 1971 Triumph
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Your clarification raises two questions.

1. Why did you ask for anybody else's opinion, since you state that you don't care about any opinion other than your own?
2. Since you don't "bully" your classmates about it [your derogatory opinions about them and other bicyclists] or even tell them what you think, why "bully" the readers of this list with your derogatory statements about bicyclists who don't meet your lofty standards?
I was referring to your opinions about my philosophies, not which name you preferred. I should have actually left that out to avoid such confusion.

I don't think I was bullying any cyclists on here, and no one doesn't meet my standards on here because I don't have standards. If you ride a bike, you're okay.
jowilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-13, 08:24 PM   #63
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Posts: 5,935
This reminds me of the difference between the "Beach Home" versus the "Home at the Beach". Interior decorator was hired to do up the expensive home and did it as a beach home but the customer said he wanted it done up as a home at the beach.

I would think it depends on the time spent per year on the bike, more important than the money spent.
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.