Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-05, 12:17 PM   #1
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,781
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Thinking about retirement... bikes and boats... looking for suggestions.

I want to retire to a place where I can ride my bike on slow paced streets. Southern California is car-centric, and much of the west is too far apart thus the auto is king due to local type two lane hiways.

Thinking about someplace near water, so I can ride my bike down to my sailboat and enjoy the day at a non-motorized pace.

Would like to avoid harsh winters, don't need tropical days.

Would like village like atmosphere... artist communities would be great. This is for retirement, so nearby industry is not needed.

So where are the best biking cities around that are near water?
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 12:42 PM   #2
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perth, Australia.
randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 12:52 PM   #3
joeprim
Senior Member
 
joeprim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Neck Tidewater Va.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let us know when you find it.

Joe
joeprim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 12:58 PM   #4
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,781
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeprim
Let us know when you find it.

Joe
Do you sail and bike... I was hoping that the combination was a bit unique... Uh oh.

I really have this thing for "simple machines," machines that may be in reality quite complex, yet work off of obvious basic levers, wheels etc... mills are a great example. Sailboats also fit the bill.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 01:01 PM   #5
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Posts: 3,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In US look at Eureka - Arcada Calif., Newport Oregon, Port Townsend or Bellingham Washington

In Canada look at Victoria BC
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 01:22 PM   #6
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
How about south of the border???
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 01:24 PM   #7
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anywhere in Cuba. Bikes get the right-of-way there.

Close to water? check.
Warm winter? check.
not too hot? well, not as bad as some islands
villages? yup.
artists? checkeroo.

Heh, I wouldn't suggest moving there though, unless you can speak spanish and want to live on food stamps the rest of your life...
jeff-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:03 PM   #8
bandaidman
go wake forest!!!!
 
bandaidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you are not opposed to the east coast

some of my favorites are

beaufort, nc : quaint (lots late 1700's/early 1800s houses) right at the bottom of the outer banks. lots of excellent restaurants/ little galleries etc but more expensive

new bern, nc: colonial capital of NC with a nice historical district, delightful small city with a vibrant little downtown and is affordable. on the neuse river/pamlico sound. a short sail to the atlantic with the advantage of the protected sound on windier days. my sister has settled there and loves it ...she has lived most of her adult life in asia or europe btw. has 4 seasons and winter is mild but summer is warm but not awful

georgetown, sc ... once the richest city in the world (300 years ago). another cool little coastal city with more amenities than you would expect from a city its size. "warm in summer"


bigger places: charleston sc, savannah, ga...both pretty hot in summer, but lots of culture although not cheap
bandaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:07 PM   #9
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec
I want to retire to a place where I can ride my bike on slow paced streets. Southern California is car-centric, and much of the west is too far apart thus the auto is king due to local type two lane hiways.

Thinking about someplace near water, so I can ride my bike down to my sailboat and enjoy the day at a non-motorized pace.

Would like to avoid harsh winters, don't need tropical days.

Would like village like atmosphere... artist communities would be great. This is for retirement, so nearby industry is not needed.

So where are the best biking cities around that are near water?
Well, there is always good old St. Petersburg, FL where the bike club has rides every day, and sometimes morning and afternoon. We meet very close to where you would park your sailboat. AAMOF, the offshore sailing school uses my girlfriend's B&B for classroom, and the students stay there when they are in town for the vaious sailing courses offerred. Then again, you mentioned non-tropical.
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:40 PM   #10
johnnie19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it werent for the harsh winters i would suggest lake tahoe, california. it's simply beautiful there. im sure anyone who has been there will agree. but you probably wont be doing much sailing and riding in the winter there.

Hey, why dont you get 2 retirement homes. one for winter in a tropical city and one for winter in a cool weather city.

i used to live in jacksonville, florida when i was in the military. great place. very friendly people, great weather, especially on amelia island. not a lot of traffic and right on the beach.

thats my 2 cents.

J
johnnie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:43 PM   #11
LapDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Table Rock Lake, Missouri is worth a look....
LapDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:45 PM   #12
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,781
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie19
Hey, why don't you get 2 retirement homes. one for winter in a tropical city and one for summer in a cool weather city.
J
Ahhhh If I were only rich...

I suppose if they were only a snappy cycling distance apart...

Actually, if the full time home is in a place that is not warm enough, that is still no problem, as I could sail to distant shores. But I do have to be able to maintain the boat, so being able to cycle to it is important.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 08:52 PM   #13
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandaidman
if you are not opposed to the east coast

some of my favorites are

beaufort, nc : quaint (lots late 1700's/early 1800s houses) right at the bottom of the outer banks. lots of excellent restaurants/ little galleries etc but more expensive

new bern, nc: colonial capital of NC with a nice historical district, delightful small city with a vibrant little downtown and is affordable. on the neuse river/pamlico sound. a short sail to the atlantic with the advantage of the protected sound on windier days. my sister has settled there and loves it ...she has lived most of her adult life in asia or europe btw. has 4 seasons and winter is mild but summer is warm but not awful

georgetown, sc ... once the richest city in the world (300 years ago). another cool little coastal city with more amenities than you would expect from a city its size. "warm in summer"


bigger places: charleston sc, savannah, ga...both pretty hot in summer, but lots of culture although not cheap

Charleston and Savannah are NOT good suggestions. Both are over sprawled and not bike friendly as much as you'd think. Georgetown and New Bern are good. Look into Pawley's Island, SC and Litchfeild Beach, SC. Beaufort, SC, my hometown, isn't so bad. I'd go carless if I worked here rather then Hilton Head Island.

There's a decent suggestion, Hilton Head Island, SC. Several marinas and 40 miles of pathways. The summers in any Southern locale are hot.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 08:02 AM   #14
dbg
Si Senior
 
dbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Posts: 2,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have similar dreams. I have a R.E. agent looking for something in Beaufort SC area now. After vacationing in Hilton Head for several years I decided I like the area. But cost is nearly prohibitive for what I'd really like. Beachfront would definitely attract the kids back (is that a good thing?) but is way too expensive.

I like the idea of property on the intracoastal waterway. My ideal would be a long bike trail connecting to the intracoastal. I imagine a Boston Whaler with a bike rack on top. I could take long trips in either direction on the intracoastal and each stop along the way could be explored by bike.

Anybody know of places or property like this?
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 09:07 AM   #15
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,934
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
If you'd been paying attention... where I live. Sail, cycle. Cycle, sail. Great temperate climate. Fantastic cruising grounds. Magnificant scenery from the water. Validate it with bike touring. Friendly people. Good exchange rate. Oh yeah, just about to do 10 Days on the Island... a festival of art in all its forms.

I joke not. I have to toss up between sailing and cycling on some weekends.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 09:17 AM   #16
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...
 
BookFinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alabama
Bikes: 2 good ones, 2 junkers
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I also enjoy motorcycling, Hiwassee, Georgia, comes to mind.

The winters are cold for about six weeks, but other than that, the climate is moderate and conducive to riding year round.

Several good lakes and reservoirs around, too.
__________________
'80's era Cannondale Police bike
'97 Giant ATX 840 project bike (gave it to a nephew...)
'01 Giant TCR-1 purebred road bike
'03 Schwinn mongrel MTB

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
BookFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 09:43 AM   #17
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg
I have similar dreams. I have a R.E. agent looking for something in Beaufort SC area now. After vacationing in Hilton Head for several years I decided I like the area. But cost is nearly prohibitive for what I'd really like. Beachfront would definitely attract the kids back (is that a good thing?) but is way too expensive.

I like the idea of property on the intracoastal waterway. My ideal would be a long bike trail connecting to the intracoastal. I imagine a Boston Whaler with a bike rack on top. I could take long trips in either direction on the intracoastal and each stop along the way could be explored by bike.

Anybody know of places or property like this?
Plenty of property available in Beaufort. The beach is 15 miles away, but not safe to ride to yet. Property on the intercoastal is high in this area, but there are several creeks that feed into the ICW that may be less costly. Your agent is looking out for his intrests as well, and may not be able find what you need.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 08:58 PM   #18
notfred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Santa Cruz
notfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 07:15 AM   #19
Travelinguyrt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Barcelona
Travelinguyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 07:19 AM   #20
James H Haury
Hauja
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central North Dakota
Bikes: not as many but still too many
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You may want to spend some time in Chicago it has the lakefront path and the museums and nice beaches.
James H Haury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 08:43 AM   #21
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Bikes: 2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randya
Perth, Australia.
Have you been there?
Johnny_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.