Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 185
  1. #76
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a "seasoned" counselor but new biker, I can say that in general, human beings get snotty and elitist not from their high-end biker experiences, but from their insecurities.

  2. #77
    Rogue Cyclist RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    6,116
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manwin View Post
    As a "seasoned" counselor but new biker, I can say that in general, human beings get snotty and elitist not from their high-end biker experiences, but from their insecurities.
    Does this same logic apply to your "rant" over in road? And welcome to Bike Forums.
    "Seriously is what I want to be, so I put on spandex and show off my gear, my junk, my thing, yes my ding-a-ling."

  3. #78
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely! I think the real definitive comes when it all degenerates to name-calling, so that people can let off some steam at a faceless entity. (ie, messageboard user) With all of your hard-earned experience, @RaleighSport, you could be really helpful and encouraging to some of us "newbies." ! You still use smiley faces....must not be one of those "elitists"!

  4. #79
    Rogue Cyclist RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    6,116
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manwin View Post
    Absolutely! I think the real definitive comes when it all degenerates to name-calling, so that people can let off some steam at a faceless entity. (ie, messageboard user) With all of your hard-earned experience, @RaleighSport, you could be really helpful and encouraging to some of us "newbies." ! You still use smiley faces....must not be one of those "elitists"!
    You haven't been here long, some of the biggest jerks use smiley faces.. and I'm probably still quite infamous among some users here. I do try and help out newbs as it were, but I can also be easily put off by a "newb" as well.. especially if they come in loaded with preconceived notions and expect to hear the choir here back up what they thought... another pet peeve of mine, is zombie threads! I almost always don't check the dates anymore on posts.. and when I realize I'm replying to a post like from 2002.. makes me unhappy. If you couldn't tell I'm giving you a tongue in cheek welcome with a grin, not a welcome to the party loser greeting.
    "Seriously is what I want to be, so I put on spandex and show off my gear, my junk, my thing, yes my ding-a-ling."

  5. #80
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP: If you actually didn't care you wouldn't bother to post.

    People who complain about snobby roadies are insecure and whiny. They claim to Not Care At All but actually really crave the approval of said snobs, that's why they are complaining.

    Also, there's the "I'm not a snob like them, I'm an Authentic Cyclist™" undercurrent which is just another form of snobbery posing as not-snobbery.

    Get over your self-esteem issues.
    Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve. -Popper

  6. #81
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was not lost on me

  7. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Middelbury, Vermont
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape 1
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are definitely bike snobs. And there are other kinds of snobs as well. And any of us can become judgmental. For many people, high school lasts a lifetime. Oh well...

  8. #83
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,584
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ... methinks there are a number of trolls about.

  9. #84
    Senior Member Nermal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    1,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Machka, have you taken a look at your avatar lately?

    Wait! I better add a smiley here.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

  10. #85
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,893
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    Gonna call BS on that one.. I've stopped a few bent riders at corners and chatted them up about their bikes.. none of them even seemed surprised a roadie liked their bikes or wanted to know more, seemed to be a regular occurrence to them.
    He's really just talking about himself. When he's on a DF, he won't talk to his bent self.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  11. #86
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,584
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    Machka, have you taken a look at your avatar lately?

    Wait! I better add a smiley here.
    It's Taz!

  12. #87
    Senior Member Nermal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    1,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew that.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

  13. #88
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,584
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    I knew that.
    Because I live in Tasmanian now.

  14. #89
    t x
    t x is offline
    Senior Member t x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Trailway, Windsor The Hour
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I was buying a hot dog and a guy in full kit and clipless shoes was polite to me. We exchanged pleasantries, complimented each others bikes and went on with our days. WTF!?

  15. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    My Bikes
    A blue one and a white one
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
    OP: If you actually didn't care you wouldn't bother to post.

    People who complain about snobby roadies are insecure and whiny. They claim to Not Care At All but actually really crave the approval of said snobs, that's why they are complaining.
    Good lord...please tell me you're joking.

  16. #91
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VACaver View Post
    Good lord...please tell me you're joking.
    Oh, how I wish I was.
    Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve. -Popper

  17. #92
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t x View Post
    Today I was buying a hot dog and a guy in full kit and clipless shoes was polite to me. We exchanged pleasantries, complimented each others bikes and went on with our days. WTF!?
    Well that seems like an exception to the rule that Everyone Knows that Roadies are Stuck-Up Jerks. It certainly couldn't be that people wearing kit are no more jerks than any other sample of the population. Your views are heretical to the I-hate-roadies-because-they-don't-want-to-be-my-best-friend crowd.
    Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve. -Popper

  18. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    My Bikes
    A blue one and a white one
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
    Oh, how I wish I was.
    So according to you, I'm insecure and whiny because I don't like snobs.

    Uh, no.

  19. #94
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VACaver View Post
    So according to you, I'm insecure and whiny because I don't like snobs.

    Uh, no.
    Actually, I never said that. Nice work making up things in your imagination. You may or may not be insecure, but you either lack reading comprehension or are prone to psychotic breaks.

    What I *did* say, is that people who go around complaining about snobs are insecure. There's a distinction there that you seem to be missing. Or maybe not, perhaps you are one of those individuals who can't get over that some guys in spandex who you never met before don't want to be your friend. I don't like snobs much but it's not worth pointing out every time I encounter one and then maligning a whole group because of it. It's also ignorant prejudice to make up a generality about a group because of a couple of unpleasant interactions, or even better, because they don't happen wave at you on the MUP.
    Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve. -Popper

  20. #95
    Senior Member woodcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Roopull;16975393]Ha! I think this is my favorite post on this forum.


    I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Those who disagree have probably removed all their reflectors, dork discs and front breaks while wearing $300 cycling specific glasses and would buy Jan Ulrich's urine if it was labeled as cologne and rub it into their saddle horns to impress their other prissy man panty wearing butt sniffing cyclists.

    number1hornlg.jpg

  21. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Posts
    1,000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VACaver View Post
    Good lord...please tell me you're joking.
    There is some truth to the phenomenon he points out. Not saying this applies to anyone here, but have you ever noticed how there are those who, in theory, say they believe in "live and let live," yet they regularly point out lots of things about a particular person/people who bother them. If it truly didn't bother them, they'd let it just sail over their head and not let it occupy any time of their day.

    To bring this back to cycling, the perceived "snobbery" probably has to do with the fact that, as a whole, road cycling attracts a demographic that tends to be "type A" and embodies a "work hard/play hard" mentality. Many of those kinds of folks will spend more time telling you how they're right or superior than actually proving it.

  22. #97
    apocryphal sobriquet J.C. Koto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Star City, NE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (...should probably get some marshmallows for this thread before someone throws more gas on the fire...)

  23. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    My Bikes
    A blue one and a white one
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
    Actually, I never said that. Nice work making up things in your imagination. You may or may not be insecure, but you either lack reading comprehension or are prone to psychotic breaks.

    What I *did* say, is that people who go around complaining about snobs are insecure. There's a distinction there that you seem to be missing. Or maybe not, perhaps you are one of those individuals who can't get over that some guys in spandex who you never met before don't want to be your friend. I don't like snobs much but it's not worth pointing out every time I encounter one and then maligning a whole group because of it. It's also ignorant prejudice to make up a generality about a group because of a couple of unpleasant interactions, or even better, because they don't happen wave at you on the MUP.
    Actually, that is what you said.

    I don't like bike snobs. I think they hurt the sport and alienate newcomers with their attitude. Several people have told me that they refuse to join a local bike club because of the bike snobs and I don't blame them a bit.

    So, according to what you wrote, I just complained about snobs and am therefor insecure. In actuality, nothing could be further from the truth. If they want to demean others because of what they ride, that's their problem, not mine.

    I'm done. Have a nice day.

  24. #99
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,462
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
    Many of those kinds of folks will spend more time telling you how they're right or superior than actually proving it.
    How does a cyclist actually prove that they are superior or more "right" than other cyclists? Just making an effort to do so marks such a cyclist as a clod IMO.

  25. #100
    DBA
    DBA is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    How does a cyclist actually prove that they are superior or more "right" than other cyclists? Just making an effort to do so marks such a cyclist as a clod IMO.
    But I am superior.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •