Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-14, 12:20 PM   #101
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA View Post
But I am superior.
Prove it!
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 12:46 PM   #102
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
How does a cyclist actually prove that they are superior or more "right" than other cyclists? Just making an effort to do so marks such a cyclist as a clod IMO.
Ever hear of Strava I know you have, just lightheartedly pointing out the fact that being able to prove one's superiority in a sport that many practice by themselves is what it's all about. Obviously, a tool like Strava isn't inherently bad -- all this depends on how far you take it. Certainly, Strava didn't create this innate need to compete and challenge oneself, but they're certainly playing off of it and the service's popularity demonstrates the market exists.
cafzali is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 01:44 PM   #103
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACaver View Post
Actually, that is what you said.

I don't like bike snobs. I think they hurt the sport and alienate newcomers with their attitude. Several people have told me that they refuse to join a local bike club because of the bike snobs and I don't blame them a bit.

So, according to what you wrote, I just complained about snobs and am therefor insecure. In actuality, nothing could be further from the truth. If they want to demean others because of what they ride, that's their problem, not mine.

I'm done. Have a nice day.
In that case, maybe you're not insecure then...you're just a proxy and enabler for others' insecurities and imagined slights. You should probably advise your friends to avoid all human interaction altogether, just to be safe.
Cyclosaurus is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 03:34 PM   #104
Fastfingaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
O. K. so who's on first? I don't know, No, he's on second!!!!!
Fastfingaz is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 03:36 PM   #105
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 34,119
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
What's on second. I Don't Know, third base.
caloso is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 03:56 PM   #106
Fastfingaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
What's on second. I Don't Know, third base.
,,,, So what's on second? and I don't know on third base, O.K then.......
Fastfingaz is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 06:53 PM   #107
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 9,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Is it being a snob to think you're better than everyone else, when you really are?
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 07:02 PM   #108
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,859
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Some people need to get over themselves. No matter what you do there is always someone better than you.

OTOH -------------- he who tooteth not his own horn will find his horn has not been tooted. But hopefully in moderation.
rydabent is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 09:21 PM   #109
Atakuweh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Bikes: 2014 Jamis Icon Pro, 2013 Jamis Allegro Elite
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP makes some very good points and I'm sure he types a lot faster than me! Overall I think cyclists are a lot less snobby in person than they are when posting to forums like this online. That's got a lot to do with internet culture in general, I think – it's easier to be a jerk when you're not actually in the presence of the person you're dissing, isn't it? Of course that doesn't excuse being a jerk no matter what. The same type of thing applies to things like email communication – you have to mince words sometimes to avoid being taken the wrong way, because no one can see your face or hear the inflections in your voice that might explain that you're trying to be humorously sarcastic, or condescending, or whatever. Or not – some people really ARE jerks! A smiley face icon can only go so far.


But I agree that cycling in general tends to either attract some folks who have something to prove to someone to make them feel better about themselves; or else there's something about it I can't explain that brings out uncivil behavior in some. Can you imagine how cycling would change if no one's bikes or clothes had any manufacturer's logos splashed all over them? What if everyone had the same color bike and everyone wore the same colored shorts and jerseys and helmets, all without logos? I'm not advocating that – it would be boring, for one thing, and not good for commerce, either! But it would kind of equalize the playing field to the extent that you'd have to make your superiority known by your riding skills, as opposed to your fancy whatever. Until the first jerk buys a can of spray paint, anyway.
Atakuweh is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 10:32 PM   #110
LovelyLisa119
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out the book, "Just Ride" by Grant Peterson. In the book he discusses this.

If people want to imitate famous racers, so be it. Some people love to accessorize and have the best of the best. Great for them!

But if you are one of them, that doesn't make you better than the teenager with the Walmart Special. In fact, nowadays I see so many people staring at screens, whether it be phones, TVs, tablets, etc. At work, home, and most everywhere else. I hate seeing snobby cyclists take the fun out of this hobby for people who can't afford to be so fancy, or who choose not to.

The beautiful thing about bikes is, you only need a bike to ride. It seems that people have forgotten this important fact from their childhood. You want to go see a friend, so what do you do? Hop on your bike! You don't change into special bike designated clothes. How silly! Just Ride! (Although, to be fair I sweat a lot more now that I'm older. So maybe for me, a change of clothes )

Most of us are doing it for our health or recreation. We aren't racing. We aren't sponsored. We're just having fun. So do what's fun. I'm a poor college student. I can't afford pimped out bikes, and I certainly don't have a variety in my garage to choose from. And there are cyclesnobs out there who would argue that I shouldn't bike because I can't afford the "right" bike, or the "right" clothes. Biking isn't some exclusive country club event. Where do these people get off passing judgement?

People often ask PTs/trainers/doctors/etc. when the best time to exercise is. Here's the answer: The best time to exercise is the time when you'll actually get it done.
What is the best way to bike then? The way that gets you on your bike.
If you feel like you need all the bells and whistles, fine. If you don't like that stuff, can't afford it, or whatever, then don't. Just do whatever gets you moving! Just ride! And help and encourage your fellow bikers.

We're ALL passing the guy on the couch! Keep going
LovelyLisa119 is offline  
Old 08-05-14, 10:44 PM   #111
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,223
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
live in expensive places?
fietsbob is online now  
Old 08-06-14, 07:31 AM   #112
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
is not the sting of the snob
no greater than the sound
of a snowflake as it strikes
the surface of granite
detach, my friend
seek the transcendent
truth, beauty, justice
and HTFU
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 07:44 AM   #113
delcrossv 
Senior Member
 
delcrossv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scalarville
Bikes:
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
There is some truth to the phenomenon he points out. Not saying this applies to anyone here, but have you ever noticed how there are those who, in theory, say they believe in "live and let live," yet they regularly point out lots of things about a particular person/people who bother them. If it truly didn't bother them, they'd let it just sail over their head and not let it occupy any time of their day.

To bring this back to cycling, the perceived "snobbery" probably has to do with the fact that, as a whole, road cycling attracts a demographic that tends to be "type A" and embodies a "work hard/play hard" mentality. Many of those kinds of folks will spend more time telling you how they're right or superior than actually proving it.
I only care when snobby behavior affects me directly- like when two jerks in matching kit were wandering all over the track riding side-by-side at 10-15mph while I'm trying to practice sprints- and wouldn't hold a line when asked. Take it to the MUP a$$holes! Grrrr.
__________________
Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

Last edited by delcrossv; 08-06-14 at 07:48 AM.
delcrossv is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 12:53 PM   #114
localroutes
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The bike world certainly has its' level of perceived hierarchy. Personally, I have traveled through all the levels, from newbie to century rider to age group racer. At each step along the way I felt I had become more and more accomplished and I started to take on a little attitude, until I was able to look inward and understand that we all have to start somewhere and it would be best to share one's experiences and knowledge as opposed to alienating those who have not yet achieved the upper levels of bike riding. After all it still comes down to just pedaling the bike. I'd like to see us as a bike community embrace the opportunity to reach out to those who love the sport and help them improve to whatever level they wish to attain.
localroute
localroutes is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 12:59 PM   #115
DBA
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
is not the sting of the snob
no greater than the sound
of a snowflake as it strikes
the surface of granite
detach, my friend
seek the transcendent
truth, beauty, justice
and HTFU
Where's the like button?
DBA is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 01:39 PM   #116
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLisa119 View Post
And there are cyclesnobs out there who would argue that I shouldn't bike because I can't afford the "right" bike, or the "right" clothes.
Are there? I've been riding bikes for fifty years, for recreation, commuting, touring, racing, and just going to the shops. I've never met a cyclist who suggested, either directly or by implication, that people who can't afford expensive kit shouldn't ride bikes.

I've met plenty of racers who are obsessed with their equipment, not always for the right reasons. I've met recreational cyclists who express contempt for those on racing bikes who wear full cycling kit. I've met supposedly cool dudes who sneer at other people's attire, on or off the bike. I've met recumbent evangelists who refuse to believe that anyone can be comfortable on a diamond frame. But I've never, ever, met a cyclist who has believed that ordinary people shouldn't ride ordinary bikes in ordinary clothes.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 01:44 PM   #117
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLisa119 View Post
Check out the book, "Just Ride" by Grant Peterson. In the book he discusses this.

If people want to imitate famous racers, so be it. Some people love to accessorize and have the best of the best. Great for them!

But if you are one of them, that doesn't make you better than the teenager with the Walmart Special. In fact, nowadays I see so many people staring at screens, whether it be phones, TVs, tablets, etc. At work, home, and most everywhere else. I hate seeing snobby cyclists take the fun out of this hobby for people who can't afford to be so fancy, or who choose not to.

The beautiful thing about bikes is, you only need a bike to ride. It seems that people have forgotten this important fact from their childhood. You want to go see a friend, so what do you do? Hop on your bike! You don't change into special bike designated clothes. How silly! Just Ride! (Although, to be fair I sweat a lot more now that I'm older. So maybe for me, a change of clothes )

Most of us are doing it for our health or recreation. We aren't racing. We aren't sponsored. We're just having fun. So do what's fun. I'm a poor college student. I can't afford pimped out bikes, and I certainly don't have a variety in my garage to choose from. And there are cyclesnobs out there who would argue that I shouldn't bike because I can't afford the "right" bike, or the "right" clothes. Biking isn't some exclusive country club event. Where do these people get off passing judgement?

People often ask PTs/trainers/doctors/etc. when the best time to exercise is. Here's the answer: The best time to exercise is the time when you'll actually get it done.
What is the best way to bike then? The way that gets you on your bike.
If you feel like you need all the bells and whistles, fine. If you don't like that stuff, can't afford it, or whatever, then don't. Just do whatever gets you moving! Just ride! And help and encourage your fellow bikers.

We're ALL passing the guy on the couch! Keep going
Doesn't the book also say you shouldn't eat fruit?
GP is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 01:57 PM   #118
XXLHardrock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Abbotsford BC
Bikes: Some old CL beater
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a middle age overweight truck driver who's taken up cycling for recreation and fitness, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the college age, skinny jean wearing, IPA micro brew drinking, fixie riddin, Obama voting, no doubt blogging, Hipsters that I've met at a few bike shops where I've shopped. Helpful, solid advice for what I'm trying to accomplish on a bike, not what they are trying to achieve on their bikes. Sure these guys are trying to make a sale and are only practicing good customer service, but I'm still impressed. If you want snooty, go find some BMWMOA riders, you'll find more acceptance riding rice at Sturgis.

Then there's the "steel is real, my LHT is so awesome on that bit of single track on the way to work" (yea so is a Walmart bike)blogger crowd. Just where does one begin?
XXLHardrock is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 01:59 PM   #119
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Are there? I've been riding bikes for fifty years, for recreation, commuting, touring, racing, and just going to the shops. I've never met a cyclist who suggested, either directly or by implication, that people who can't afford expensive kit shouldn't ride bikes.

I've met plenty of racers who are obsessed with their equipment, not always for the right reasons. I've met recreational cyclists who express contempt for those on racing bikes who wear full cycling kit. I've met supposedly cool dudes who sneer at other people's attire, on or off the bike. I've met recumbent evangelists who refuse to believe that anyone can be comfortable on a diamond frame. But I've never, ever, met a cyclist who has believed that ordinary people shouldn't ride ordinary bikes in ordinary clothes.
I've encountered many supposed "anti-snobs" who have contempt for roadies in kit at BF. It's basically a "who do they think they are?" attitude. I have never actually encountered a roadie who actively showed any snobbery or jerk-like behavior. As far as I'm concerned, the real jerks, the real people who are bigots, are the people who are quick to judge roadies as "snobs" when there is no evidence that there it exists in bike culture any more than in anything else in life. People always make up reasons to hate other people. That those others are Wearing Colorful Spandex While Riding a Carbon Bike has to be one of the stupidest ones people have cooked up as a justification for such hate.
Cyclosaurus is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 02:49 PM   #120
spdracr39
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Y'all do realize that the OP Butters"the troll"32 left after page 1 right ?
spdracr39 is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 03:21 PM   #121
Fastfingaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz View Post
I think the problem is your geographical location,,,come on down South to where the people not only ask you, how you doing darling, but they'll also ask about your mama,,,,,,,, or maybe you're just not holding your lips right,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think I'll have to stay with my original answer,,,, but there really seem to be a lot of problems out there according to ya'll
Fastfingaz is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 07:38 PM   #122
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,859
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
lovely

Your point about the book Just Ride" is well taken. Just because someone is a poseur is no reason to be snooty.

What is funny is the fact that I have stopped and helped get a fully kitted roadie going again. He had no tools, tubes, patches or pump with him. I on the other hand I have my "bike shop in a trunk pack" on my bike.
rydabent is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 08:29 PM   #123
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,695
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Y'all do realize that the OP Butters"the troll"32 left after page 1 right ?

+1

As I indicated before ... methinks this was a "hit and run" trolling thread.
Machka is offline  
Old 08-07-14, 07:13 AM   #124
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wear levi shorts, a pink cotton t-shirt and push platform pedals with steel-toe work boots on my road bike that isn't strictly that because it has flat bars and MTB drivetrain. Last night, as every Wednesday night, I went on a group ride with 100% riders in standard road clothing and riding full road bikes. Great ride, friendly company and 100% friendly vibes when we stopped for our meal towards the end of the ride.

Snobbery is there if you look for it and are sensitive to it. Camradery is equally available.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline  
Old 08-07-14, 07:18 AM   #125
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,859
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Pondering this thread, I guess it comes down to the fact that the 2% of any group gives the whole group a bad name.
rydabent is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 AM.