Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-14, 11:21 AM   #176
JPeters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London/Novi Sad
Bikes: Fuji Suncrest 2001 and a battered Colnago Super '77
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm relatively new here too and I can sort of see where the OP is coming from. I don't think it's snobbery so much, but it can be intimidating as a basic cyclist to come on here and see people talking about how you'll need at least $700 to get an entry-level bike, or about how if your fit is a couple of centimetres off you're going to have problems, or that anything cheaper than Campy Record or Shimano Ultegra will result in a horrible riding experience.

The positives outweigh the negatives though. I've had some great mechanical advice on here, and learnt a lot about the history of certain manufacturers as well as the value of certain frames (which helped me get a great deal). It would be nice if there was more focus on riding, and less on the bikes and accessories, but that's just the way people are I guess.
JPeters is offline  
Old 08-14-14, 10:46 PM   #177
torque cyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel as a whole, the cycling community doesn't really have many useful tips for the casual cyclist. haven't found any channels where they are using off the shelf bikes. it's all higher end road bikes or mountain bikes. while yeah those bikes are nice, not everyone looking to go cycling is up for paying the premiums.
torque cyclist is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 07:47 AM   #178
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,703
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
cyclo

Yes your babble about bigots and racism is getting pretty tiresome. That kind of thinking is just a bunch of PC nonsense that most have moved beyond. When riding stop real quick and see if you can fine a bigot or racist hiding behind the tree, since you seem to worry so much about them.

Just because some, basically the 2% you find in any group are snobs doesnt mean they or the people they are snobby to are either bigots or racist.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-15-14 at 12:34 PM.
rydabent is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 10:56 AM   #179
meanwhile
Senior Member
 
meanwhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
I'm also a chiropractor..
..Which isn't technically speaking a crime, but only thanks to well-funded lobbyists
meanwhile is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 11:11 AM   #180
tjkoko
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Okefenokee Swamps.
Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
..Which isn't technically speaking a crime, but only thanks to well-funded lobbyists
AmeriKan MD's are turning more and more to using - however occasionally - alternative medicine. I mean statistics can't explain everything.

tjkoko is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 12:56 PM   #181
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
cyclo

Yes your babble about bigots and racism is getting pretty tiresome. That kind of thinking is just a bunch of PC nonsense that most have moved beyond. When riding stop real quick and see if you can fine a bigot or racist hiding behind the tree, since you seem to worry so much about them.

Just because some, basically the 2% you find in any group are snobs doesnt mean they or the people they are snobby to are either bigots or racist.
I never said the things you are claiming. The people who label an entire group based on the behavior of a tiny minority are exhibiting bigotry...by definition.
Cyclosaurus is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 02:01 PM   #182
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
I never said the things you are claiming. The people who label an entire group based on the behavior of a tiny minority are exhibiting bigotry...by definition.
Actually, it's not bigotry. It's, like we've said before, stereotyping.
Bigotry is a complete intolerance or hatred of other's beliefs, lifestyles, persona, etc. Whereas stereotyping islabeling a group based on actions or characteristics that are common among that group.

I don't hate roadies, I just think a lot of them live up to the stereotype of being "better than you."

Remember, like I said before: stereotypes exist for a reason - it's a highly observable blanket characteristic.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 02:06 PM   #183
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
Actually, it's not bigotry. It's, like we've said before, stereotyping.
Bigotry is a complete intolerance or hatred of other's beliefs, lifestyles, persona, etc. Whereas stereotyping islabeling a group based on actions or characteristics that are common among that group.

I don't hate roadies, I just think a lot of them live up to the stereotype of being "better than you."

Remember, like I said before: stereotypes exist for a reason - it's a highly observable blanket characteristic.
Since you're "the sci guy", I'll ask a relevant question: where's your data to demonstrate that these characteristics are common enough to justify the stereotype? Otherwise it's just anecdotes and bias, neither of which count as actual evidence of anything.
Cyclosaurus is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 02:43 PM   #184
xuwol7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a snob when I ride my road bike, but really a nice muddy guy when I ride my Mountain Bike ;<)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKj4L6GwL5Y
xuwol7 is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 06:58 PM   #185
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Time to close this one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.