Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Cycling socks (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/962274-cycling-socks.html)

bbbean 07-29-14 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyclingSalmon14 (Post 16984895)
I DONT EVEN... Lol, sock's for cycling...I dont...ahaha Lol, I just wear my normal socks...wash after a long ride, if its just to town and back, wear for rest of the day (Unless its hot then I take them off when not wearing shoes... Special socks for cycling...wow, Who would have thought it. Must be light waight carbon fibre weave, save's you 0.5G and incresses your speed 0.01 MPH....

It's about comfort, support, and padding in the right places. If you haven't tried sock designed for cycling, running, hiking, skiing, or whatever, you're missing out. I used to scoff until my wife gave me a few pair of wicking compression socks. One wearing and I was sold.

FWIW, I'm 50/50 on wicking vs merino wool. I have lots of both, and frequently wear the merino wool socks for every day. Comfort and support go a looooong way towards happy feet.

mrodgers 07-29-14 08:03 AM

I see the benefit of bike shorts. I even see the benefit of a jersey though I can't stand tight fitting clothing so I just wear sports shirts, but socks?

I wash my socks every day. I have about 30 pair of them. I put them on, wear them at work 10 hours or so, swap from my work boots to tennis shoes, and ride after work. When I get home, I'm typically barefoot in the summer so the socks are in the clothes basket with the rest of the laundry.

RPK79 07-29-14 08:10 AM

I wear baggies as liners between my foot and sock so I don't have to wash my socks. Ever.

demoncyclist 07-29-14 08:44 AM

They don't have to be cycling specific, but typical cotton socks are rubbish for cycling (and most things for that matter). They should be wicking fabric of some sort. I actually wear coolmax or some other similar material as everyday wear in the summer, so they can do double duty. I have some cycling specific socks- mostly gifts or prizes on charity rides. In bad weather, I have a couple of pair of shorty wool socks (they stay warm even when they are wet), and I wear wool socks everyday in the winter- warm without being sweaty, and they do wick, so less foot funk.

winston63 07-29-14 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbean (Post 16984980)
It's about comfort, support, and padding in the right places. If you haven't tried sock designed for cycling, running, hiking, skiing, or whatever, you're missing out. I used to scoff until my wife have me a few pair of wicking compression socks. One wearing and I was sold.

FWIW, I'm 50/50 on wicking vs merino wool. I have lots of both, and frequently wear the merino wool socks for every day. Comfort and support go a looooong way towards happy feet.

+1

Cycling specific socks really do make a difference for me. It's got nothing to do with "performance" as such, but everything to do with comfort. And I'm definitely a fan of merino wool socks. I find them awesome in all weather.

bbbean 07-29-14 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winston63 (Post 16985140)
+1

Cycling specific socks really do make a difference for me. It's got nothing to do with "performance" as such, but everything to do with comfort. And I'm definitely a fan of merino wool socks. I find them awesome in all weather.

If my feet are hot/sweaty/hurting, I'm not as focused on winning, and I need to take more breaks on training rides. Happy feet = better performance for me.

Northwestrider 07-29-14 09:19 AM

After every ride they get a wash

danmc 07-29-14 12:39 PM

I bought one of those big industrial fans like they use in Hollywood to simulate a typhoon.

Then, after a ride, I hop straight into the shower wearing all my gear...lather up and clean myself and the clothing.

Jump out of the shower and turn on the fan, dries me and the clothes.

Save money on electricity, water, and towels. It's a win, win, win situation.

joeyduck 07-29-14 01:05 PM

I wear wool DeFeet and they get washed every day I ride. I have two pairs so if I don't wash my ride kit I have a clean pair.

I can get 4-6 months out of one pair, that is wearing them exclusively and then with darning them as necessary another 4-6 months. I will darn them until my wife yells at me to buy new stuff. Thankfully I do laundry and do not let her see them, one pair is a few good beer.

I will wash and hang them if I am camping. Clean socks and underwear are the most important things is what I was always taught.

Fastfingaz 07-29-14 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmc (Post 16986030)
I bought one of those big industrial fans like they use in Hollywood to simulate a typhoon.

Then, after a ride, I hop straight into the shower wearing all my gear...lather up and clean myself and the clothing.

Jump out of the shower and turn on the fan, dries me and the clothes.

Save money on electricity, water, and towels. It's a win, win, win situation.

danmc just want to congratulate you on your frugality,,,you are exceptional and very creative, this is what is missing in our society today,conserving and getting back to basics,,,I congratulate you once more!!!!

Fastfingaz 07-29-14 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyduck (Post 16986117)
I wear wool DeFeet and they get washed every day I ride. I have two pairs so if I don't wash my ride kit I have a clean pair.

I can get 4-6 months out of one pair, that is wearing them exclusively and then with darning them as necessary another 4-6 months. I will darn them until my wife yells at me to buy new stuff. Thankfully I do laundry and do not let her see them, one pair is a few good beer.

I will wash and hang them if I am camping. Clean socks and underwear are the most important things is what I was always taught.

,,,,,,,,,,,you too joeyduck, seems like you're doing your part! I really didn't think that anybody even knew the meaning of the word (Darn) anymore! good job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

winston63 07-29-14 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbean (Post 16985210)
If my feet are hot/sweaty/hurting, I'm not as focused on winning, and I need to take more breaks on training rides. Happy feet = better performance for me.

That makes sense - I don't do any sort of competitive cycling, but I could well imagine any discomfort would distract from competing as well as you can.

winston63 07-29-14 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyduck (Post 16986117)
I wear wool DeFeet and they get washed every day I ride. I have two pairs so if I don't wash my ride kit I have a clean pair.

I can get 4-6 months out of one pair, that is wearing them exclusively and then with darning them as necessary another 4-6 months. I will darn them until my wife yells at me to buy new stuff. Thankfully I do laundry and do not let her see them, one pair is a few good beer.

I've got some wool DeFeet's that are almost four years old and they are still in good condition! But, I have something like 7 or 8 pairs of the things so they get plenty of rotation. And my socks get seasonal use: I use thin Wooleator's for summer and I switch the heavier Woolie Boolie's when the weather gets nasty.

joeyduck 07-29-14 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winston63 (Post 16986745)
I've got some wool DeFeet's that are almost four years old and they are still in good condition! But, I have something like 7 or 8 pairs of the things so they get plenty of rotation. And my socks get seasonal use: I use thin Wooleator's for summer and I switch the heavier Woolie Boolie's when the weather gets nasty.

Yeah I think the daily exclusive use is pretty hard on them. The problem spots I have are the toes, it takes a while for the bottoms to wear out.

I used to do the same seasonal sock choice. I found in the winter here the Woolie Boolies were a bit overkill when I wear my show covers.

imi 08-01-14 02:41 PM

Cycling socks
 
All you need is one pair of socks.
Turn them inside out every day to air the other side.
Never need to wash.
I inherited my pair from my late grandfather.

Fastfingaz 08-01-14 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imi (Post 16996705)
All you need is one pair of socks.
Turn them inside out every day to air the other side.
Never need to wash.
I inherited my pair from my late grandfather.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My! that is taking frugalness to the utmost power! but if it works for you then carry on ,my goodness, have any idea how many miles ol granpa put on them???

Fastfingaz 08-02-14 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linnefaulk (Post 16983614)
My 820 is from 1990. I just resurrected it from a long absence. It is tough as nails and reliable. And wool socks are a lot different than military grade. ;)

linnefaulk,,,, I found this trek 800 at a discount store I paid 12.85 for it was half price that day,everything worked fine except the BB it was shot replaced it for 25,00 now the bike is fine , shifts into everygear no problem, I don't know what year it is or how much it cost I do know it was used by the Baton Rouge police dept . it's got a sticker that says so,

linnefaulk 08-02-14 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz (Post 16999988)
linnefaulk,,,, I found this trek 800 at a discount store I paid 12.85 for it was half price that day,everything worked fine except the BB it was shot replaced it for 25,00 now the bike is fine , shifts into everygear no problem, I don't know what year it is or how much it cost I do know it was used by the Baton Rouge police dept . it's got a sticker that says so,

Wow. Lucky you.
i also had trouble with my bottom bracket. It happened while doing a 400+ mile tour. It was day 6 or 7 and ai took it the mechanic. He replaced it overnight and it only cost me parts.
I must say, I am not too kind to my bikes. But they keep working for me.

JanMM 08-02-14 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's all about aesthetics. I ride fast when I wear these (wicking poly):
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=396970

Goolsbymd 08-03-14 04:37 PM

I don't wear socks when I bike or run. Only to work and when I come home off they go and on go the sandals or barefoot.

Camilo 08-06-14 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imi (Post 16996705)
All you need is one pair of socks.
Turn them inside out every day to air the other side.
Never need to wash.
I inherited my pair from my late grandfather.

Black Socks
Sing as a two-part round, one half singing the "verse" and the other half "not yet, not yet, etc."

Black socks, they never get dirty,
The longer you wear them the stronger they get.
Sometimes I think I should wash them,
But something inside me says No, no, not yet.
Not yet, not yet, not yet...

ofgit 08-06-14 04:57 PM

My favorite cycling socks became my favorite socks for everything. Discovered the Descente Classic sock in the mid '80s when I started using 'cycling' shoes. These are 90% cotton with lycra. They are ribbed on top, padded at the toe/heel and have compression around the instep/metatarsal area and just cover the ankles. The absolute most comfortable sock I ever wore! Used to buy them by the dozen pairs. Can't find them anymore. Tried several very obviously attempted copies that didn't measure up. Have two unused pair left but can't make myself wear them. Guess I'll specify to be buried in them.

Used to hand wash shorts, jersey, gloves and socks after every ride they were used for and let them air dry.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 PM.