Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best Toe Clips & Straps Make and Model?

    Looking to replace standard flat pedals with Toe Clip & Strap pedals for a little more pedaling efficiency when commuting and fun riding - can anyone recommend a quality make and model? How much do they run?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,345
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Senior Member danadear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sin City, Nevada
    My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mini toe clips - easier to get in and out of

    I actually prefer strapless mini toe clips for all my bikes and trikes. You can use any shoe with them and they do exactly what you are looking for - position your foot on the pedal. If you ever read a recumbent trike blog you will see endless blather about needing clipless pedals and special shoes to keep your foot from slipping off the pedal and breaking your ankle or lower leg. I've used toe clips for over a decade and many thousand miles without a problem. Cost is less than $10 at - Search Results for "strapless toe clips" The two brands I currently am using, Avenir and XLC are both out of stock. You should be able to find similar ones at most online bike shops if your LBS doesn't sell them.

  5. #5
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,801
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I like getting old stuff.

    Suntour Cyclone pedals are cheap and good.


    Christophe steel clips and leather straps are nice and cheap.

    I'm not sure where to go for new straps. I tried some Soma leather straps but they got floppy pretty quickly it seemed.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  6. #6
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,801
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I love DA/600/105 three bolt pedals but the clips are getting difficult to come by.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,421
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MKS pedals and clips
    Zefal Leather Toe Straps

  8. #8
    Caveman Cyclist rebelbuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding comments above on "floppy" leather straps, have any of you tried Power Grips. I took the toe clips off of the metal pedal, added the Power Grip, and it has remained solid and springy. I have never accepted so called (misnamed) "clipless" pedals and either used the old toe clips or Power Grips. The Power Grips have never caused me to fall because the first instinct is to kick your foot out when falling. The set up for Power Grips allows the heel to move laterally and the toe slides out without effort. I have fallen with the toe "cages". I obtained a set of free Look-style pedals taken from my wife's bike, therefore, I have to admit that I am studying the benefits of purchasing cycling shoes. The only motivation for me to go that route is the claim that they reduce knee inflamation during long rides.
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,394
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best? Campagnolo made leather straps & toe clips for their pedals


    few are left .. 30 years ago I had more choices .. *

    My DIY for the cheap, but sold everywhere, Floppy Nylon straps, was saturate them in tool handle coating .. Plastidip .

    then they're stiffened to stay open.

    * Steel cage Campagnolo record pedals ,..... Gary Fisher .. doubled, stainless, cross style toe clips ..

    neither made now , so Auction sales now determines the price ..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 08-28-14 at 01:16 PM.

  10. #10
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Best? Campagnolo made leather straps & toe clips for their pedals
    The nice thing about the Campy toeclips was the shoe guide tab that prevented the toe of your shoe from snagging on the front cage plate. I wonder why nobody's copied that? I've never tried Campy's straps, but the laminated Alfredo Binda straps have served me well for several decades.


  11. #11
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,394
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I faked it with a tab made out of another SS toe clip, on my modified old Campag road pedals..

    think I have a M Campag pair in a bin somewhere.. M too short

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
    MKS pedals and clips
    Zefal Leather Toe Straps
    Thanks do you you use the MKS Steel or Deep Steel clips, and can you use them just as well with straps?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasTriker View Post
    I actually prefer strapless mini toe clips for all my bikes and trikes. You can use any shoe with them and they do exactly what you are looking for - position your foot on the pedal. If you ever read a recumbent trike blog you will see endless blather about needing clipless pedals and special shoes to keep your foot from slipping off the pedal and breaking your ankle or lower leg. I've used toe clips for over a decade and many thousand miles without a problem. Cost is less than $10 at - Search Results for "strapless toe clips" The two brands I currently am using, Avenir and XLC are both out of stock. You should be able to find similar ones at most online bike shops if your LBS doesn't sell them.
    Thanks, which Avenir and XLC models do you use? Would you go with nylon and steel? Afraid the nylon might break too easily. Also do you use them with nylon and leather straps or are they just as good without them?

  14. #14
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,394
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shims between the pedal and the Toe clip makes it longer . (except the Campag ones JDT shows)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    shims between the pedal and the Toe clip makes it longer . (except the Campag ones JDT shows)
    Which is good or bad?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,421
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainwalker View Post
    Thanks do you you use the MKS Steel or Deep Steel clips, and can you use them just as well with straps?
    Mine are still Christophe, L size, now made by Zefal , not deep style.

  17. #17
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,394
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are what they are , and long ago discontinued..

    the little tab is on the inside of the pedal, its cut out of the toe clip itself ,, note the triangular hole.

    If you dont have them. its not your problem

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
    Mine are still Christophe, L size, now made by Zefal , not deep style.
    Then why the recommendation for MKS toe clips above, and not the Zefal Christophe?

  19. #19
    Senior Member cyclist2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up
    My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Posts
    2,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

    I still have a couple sets of the Campy toe clips and Alfredo Binda straps.

    good stuff lasts a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    The nice thing about the Campy toeclips was the shoe guide tab that prevented the toe of your shoe from snagging on the front cage plate. I wonder why nobody's copied that? I've never tried Campy's straps, but the laminated Alfredo Binda straps have served me well for several decades.

    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

  20. #20
    DryChain spinlisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Bel Air (1984 MTB), Raleigh M►30 (1989 MTB), fixie
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelbuc View Post
    ... took the toe clips off of the metal pedal, added the Power Grip, and it has remained solid and springy. I have never accepted so called (misnamed) "clipless" pedals and either used the old toe clips or Power Grips. The Power Grips have never caused me to fall because the first instinct is to kick your foot out when falling. The set up for Power Grips allows the heel to move laterally and the toe slides out without effort.
    Ditto. I've loved Power Grips for years/"centuries" in my youth. Now that they're a bit beyond my means, I've resorted to Zefal "Cristophe" Mountain Bicycle Half Toe Clips.41DO+JbpwVL._SY100_.jpgon casual rides, and Zefal MTB Bicycle Toe Clips with Straps otherwise. 41pTMx4jnuL._SL500_SR100,100_.jpg
    Last edited by spinlisted; 09-01-14 at 06:31 PM. Reason: forgot quote back.
    Help, I've been brandwashed, and I can't MUFON!

  21. #21
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,422
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a utility standpoint, it's hard to beat nylon MTB style cages, because their wider, taller toe box accommodates a wider variety of shoe types, and they're impervious to nearly all types of abuse (same to be said for nylon straps vs. leather).

    For style points, King Cage toe clips are pretty sweet, made in high-quality stainless, and utilize more of an MTB toe box than the very old school metal types pictured upthread, which are also, in my experience, not very rigid, slippery, and not well suited to cleat-less or multi-modal (i.e. various shoe types) use.

    King Cages:



    I've not used the Kings, so I'm not sure, but I can say that I've liked the upper stay flexibility of nylon cages for cinching the cage securely to shoes of different types.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SD
    My Bikes
    60cm critical cycles with carbon fiber stem and bullhorns
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danadear View Post
    I love my Power Grips.

    Robot Check

    I also have the powergrips, and at first i didnt like them. but once i adjusted the strap, i really fell inlove with them.

  23. #23
    Senor Puppet ofgit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NELA
    My Bikes
    Mostly '80s MIJ steel.
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only complaint about the PowerGrips is that the need to change the adjustment to use a different shoe is a bit of a chore. Have tried setting them up for 'street' shoes but then they are loose with cycling/MTB shoes used for more agressive rides.

    Instead I now use mini clips or full clips with loose or no straps. Tried 'clipless' in the mid '80s (Look) and again in the mid '90s (SPD) and didn't like it for my riding style.
    Old Fat Guy In Tights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •