Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-07, 12:16 AM   #1
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
BFNIC Ride Schedule

This thread is a clearing house of ride information for those in the Northern Illinois / Northwest Indiana / Southern Wisconsin area. Attached is a ride schedule showing rides that many of us on this forum have done and will do again this year.

This file is updated as informaiton changes. I track all of the changes in this firts post and put dates on my notes.

1/21/2008 - Updated file for 2008 rides
2/27/2008 - Updated file again with more 2008 ride info. Pretty finished list at this point. I may be adding some races here or there. Post your plans so I can tag the list.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2008RideSchedule.zip (10.6 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by Psimet2001; 02-27-08 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Update of attached ride schedule
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 05:36 AM   #2
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Great Idea. By the looks of things it appears I am stalking you again this summer. Good Times. Later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 06:51 AM   #3
Hipcycler
OCP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MILWAUKEE
Bikes: The kind with two wheels
Posts: 6,289
Psimet.....you must be a Virgo.
My former producer would always tease me about being so organized and being such a planner.

Greg--"Do you still have that e-mail from the guest for Thursday's show?"
Hip--"Oh no, I clean out all my accounts a couple times a day."
Greg--"Of course you do, you're a Virgo."

Now, being perhaps the most anal planner ever, I'm thinking after seeing your efforts here that it is time to once again try my idea of a summer ride up here. I think I've got one that will work for you guys.

http://whiterivercycleclub.com/festival.html

Sat. Aug. 4th.

I did the 30-mile ride by myself a few years ago. It's very pretty, well-marked, and has rest stops that had great home-made snacks at them.

It's one of those deals where you just show up...check in with them and ride....no mass start or anything like that. We could all meet there...pose...ride...party.

This area is about 15 minutes away from our weekend lake home.
If we have a small enough group, we could gather there after the ride for a little grilling, boating and water frolics. Of course my luck, it'll rain on Aug. 4th.

Thoughts?
Hipcycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:24 AM   #4
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Psimet.....you must be a Virgo.
My former producer would always tease me about being so organized and being such a planner.

Greg--"Do you still have that e-mail from the guest for Thursday's show?"
Hip--"Oh no, I clean out all my accounts a couple times a day."
Greg--"Of course you do, you're a Virgo."

Now, being perhaps the most anal planner ever, I'm thinking after seeing your efforts here that it is time to once again try my idea of a summer ride up here. I think I've got one that will work for you guys.

http://whiterivercycleclub.com/festival.html

Sat. Aug. 4th.

I did the 30-mile ride by myself a few years ago. It's very pretty, well-marked, and has rest stops that had great home-made snacks at them.

It's one of those deals where you just show up...check in with them and ride....no mass start or anything like that. We could all meet there...pose...ride...party.

This area is about 15 minutes away from our weekend lake home.
If we have a small enough group, we could gather there after the ride for a little grilling, boating and water frolics. Of course my luck, it'll rain on Aug. 4th.

Thoughts?
small, hum, where do i RSVP? i must get at least one ride in with the Hip this summer and this weekend looks to be open! later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:33 AM   #5
Hipcycler
OCP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MILWAUKEE
Bikes: The kind with two wheels
Posts: 6,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23
small, hum, where do i RSVP? i must get at least one ride in with the Hip this summer and this weekend looks to be open! later.
You just did!
Now we'll see if this gets on the Psimet MASTER BFNIC LIST....

Small...yeah...you know...like about what we had for the century ride last year or you just-concluded BFNIC ride....something like those numbers will work. It can't be too big...so perhaps we'll see how it goes and take reservations as they come in to keep a count.
Hipcycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:42 AM   #6
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Psimet, the HHH doesn't have a 300k option. You can take out the 187 mile option on that one.

Will get you a PM soon.
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:01 AM   #7
DEK
Senior Member
 
DEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tampa, FL.
Bikes: '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Psimet.....you must be a Virgo.
My former producer would always tease me about being so organized and being such a planner.

Greg--"Do you still have that e-mail from the guest for Thursday's show?"
Hip--"Oh no, I clean out all my accounts a couple times a day."
Greg--"Of course you do, you're a Virgo."
hmmm. I don't know. The Virgos I knew would file all their emails into appropriate folders and then print another copy to keep in a file cabinet.
DEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:03 AM   #8
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Hip's ride is added. Hip also note I have the Cream City Century on there for this year. It was a good ride, and although I know you won't be riding the 100 again I am sure some of us will make it up there for it.

Also note the Kenosha-Racine ride. Starts same location as the Cream City did. You can make that one....

BTW - Sagittarius
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 06:55 PM   #9
Kenal0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Forest IL
Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
You just did!
Now we'll see if this gets on the Psimet MASTER BFNIC LIST....

Small...yeah...you know...like about what we had for the century ride last year or you just-concluded BFNIC ride....something like those numbers will work. It can't be too big...so perhaps we'll see how it goes and take reservations as they come in to keep a count.
I am going to mark this one down as a must as well. I look forward to riding with Hip and the coach again.
Kenal0
Kenal0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:24 PM   #10
dave342
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Felt f65 2006 Group, Felt f55 2007 frame, 2008 Kuota Kebel Dura Ace, Ksyriums
Posts: 276
I will also mark this one down. Will CyLowe 97 bring the Wine again?
dave342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:30 PM   #11
Hipcycler
OCP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MILWAUKEE
Bikes: The kind with two wheels
Posts: 6,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave342
I will also mark this one down. Will CyLowe 97 bring the Wine again?
I hope so....otherwise, there's plenty of spring water from the lake!
Hipcycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:25 PM   #12
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Screwtop, real cork, or synthetic cork?
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:49 PM   #13
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Screwtop, real cork, or synthetic cork?
i am telling you that people in the know say the screwtop is the new cork and forget the synthetic. so i vote screwtop. frogs leap and big house red come to mind. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 09:00 PM   #14
Flywolf
Senior Member
 
Flywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 582
Very nice idea Psimet2001, I will positively try to make few of those rides.
Flywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 06:19 AM   #15
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23
i am telling you that people in the know say the screwtop is the new cork and forget the synthetic. so i vote screwtop. frogs leap and big house red come to mind. later.
Frog's Leap is a bit spendy for my low-budget tastebuds.

Big House Red... from Bonny Doon Vineyards. Now we're in my price range. One of my favorite wines has always been their Sirrah Syrah, which started sporting a screwcap a few years ago. They are an innovative winery and have been touting screwcaps heavily. They point to this site in NZ for more information on why screwcaps are, indeed, the new cork.

And perfect for that after ride spaghetti. No corkscrew accidentally poking through gels in the jersey pockets!
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 07:21 AM   #16
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Frog's Leap is a bit spendy for my low-budget tastebuds.

Big House Red... from Bonny Doon Vineyards. Now we're in my price range. One of my favorite wines has always been their Sirrah Syrah, which started sporting a screwcap a few years ago. They are an innovative winery and have been touting screwcaps heavily. They point to this site in NZ for more information on why screwcaps are, indeed, the new cork.

And perfect for that after ride spaghetti. No corkscrew accidentally poking through gels in the jersey pockets!
"Screwcap wine seals eliminate the threat of 'cork taint' and premature oxidation."

well, we surely don't want any taint issues!

Big House Red is my current favorite. over the winter i was really into Jacobs Creek Shiraz/Cab which is a great wine at a great price. T-Birds in Plainfield stocks Jacobs Creek at $6 per bottle! yep, i said T-Birds . i will have to give the Sirrah Syrah a try. the world of red wines is still a bit new to me. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 08:27 AM   #17
jtm1631
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Highland Park, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23
well, we surely don't want any taint issues!
Nothing worse than taint issues for a cyclist.

Nice ride list Psimet. Looks like I better get my a$$ on the bike and start building up some miles.
jtm1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 08:46 AM   #18
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 8,627
Anyone out here in the sticks want to share gas money to Bike the Drive? I'll do it alone but I am pretty cheap and I would like some company. I just got a Saris off of Craigslist so I can carry 3 in the Honda with no problem.
iab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 09:21 AM   #19
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by iab
Anyone out here in the sticks want to share gas money to Bike the Drive? I'll do it alone but I am pretty cheap and I would like some company. I just got a Saris off of Craigslist so I can carry 3 in the Honda with no problem.
I want to go, but I think it will be one I ride with the whole family. So I'll have trailer, 2 rigs and a whole mess of mommy neccessities (things mommy wants to bring because she thinks we'll need them) .

Might be a possibility for you to hop in (there should be room for 1 more).
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 10:14 AM   #20
Kimbercop
Senior Member
 
Kimbercop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise
Posts: 923
Mrs. Kimbercop and I are planning on bike the drive, and were thinking of getting a room on the drive for the night before. She would rather spend the $$ for that than get up earlier to drive in. I would love to hook up with the group while down there tho and ride. We're already registered so its a go, it just depends on wether we commute or stay there.

Not sure what other rides I'll be able to make as Ive only got weekends off until July 8, and more than likely will be working alot over 4th of July and I'm in Quebec bear hunting in June for 2 weeks and dont get back from Phoenix until April 29th. I'm gonna try for the Udder for sure.

BTW, Sunny, 92 degrees and no wind today in Phoenix. Heading out to play a little golf but not sure where as I'm a guest of someone up in Scottsdale. Can't wait to see my surprise, I'm sure its gonna be a great course and I am a true golf nut.
__________________
and the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Kimbercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 10:22 AM   #21
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 8,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I want to go, but I think it will be one I ride with the whole family. So I'll have trailer, 2 rigs and a whole mess of mommy neccessities (things mommy wants to bring because she thinks we'll need them) .

Might be a possibility for you to hop in (there should be room for 1 more).

Hmmm.... a whole mess of mommy necessities, a baby that poops their pants in a small confined place in which I could be trapped for over an hour, domestic conversations by an old married couple about people and things I know nothing of (again, over two hours for the round trip).... a very generous offer and although it could be considered a carpool of a lifetime, I think I may have to pass at this time. Third wheel - see definition above.

Anyone else?
iab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 10:31 AM   #22
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by iab
Anyone else?
iab, jump on the Metra. $5 for an all weekend pass.

Then you can be the stinky one on the ride back.
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 10:36 AM   #23
Shemp
Senior Member
 
Shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL
Posts: 858
I'd nominate the Old Mill Century in Oregon, IL on August 19th as a ride. I've done it twice in the past, the stops are good and well stocked, roads are well marked, and traffic out this way is non-existent. I plan on riding it again this year. Their website is down for some reason, but it's oldmillcentury.com It's the closest big ride to me.

I also realize this is probably bad form, but dare I mention the Sugar River Bike Tour 15/30/50/100 out of Brodhead, WI is the same day as the 9/29 Psimet invitational? I had that ride on my calendar.

Anyhow, my ride schedule:
  • 5/26 Blackhawk Roads (60)
  • 6/9-10 TOMRV (106/100)
  • 6/16 Carroll County Cycling Event (race) (62)
  • 7/6-7/16 Wife and I are riding from Jasper to Banff to Kananaskis to Calgary
  • 8/4 Hip Invitational
  • 8/19 Old Mill Century (100)
  • 8/26-8/30 Riding the Maah Daah Hey, woo hoo!
  • 9/29 Sugar River Bike tour (100) or BFNIC (100)

Last edited by Shemp; 06-22-07 at 03:03 PM.
Shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 10:47 AM   #24
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by iab
Hmmm.... a whole mess of mommy necessities, a baby that poops their pants in a small confined place in which I could be trapped for over an hour, domestic conversations by an old married couple about people and things I know nothing of (again, over two hours for the round trip).... a very generous offer and although it could be considered a carpool of a lifetime, I think I may have to pass at this time. Third wheel - see definition above.

Anyone else?
Hey now...he only poops once a day...but it is usually first thing in the morning.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 10:56 AM   #25
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 8,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Hey now...he only poops once a day...but it is usually first thing in the morning.
Who said I was talking about your son.
iab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15 PM.