Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-08, 12:17 PM   #1451
tzracer
Senior Member
 
tzracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waterford,WI
Bikes:
Posts: 281
4/20 - 38 miles, longest of year, mostly hills, including The Wall near Alpine Valley.

4/21 - 10 miles on Rockhopper towing daughter on her trailer bike. She told me I was riding "super slow". She wanted to go "super fast".

4/22 - best ride of the year, 17.75 miles in 1 hour. Turned around early because of rain.
tzracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 02:53 PM   #1452
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzracer View Post
4/20 - 38 miles, longest of year, mostly hills, including The Wall near Alpine Valley.

4/21 - 10 miles on Rockhopper towing daughter on her trailer bike. She told me I was riding "super slow". She wanted to go "super fast".

4/22 - best ride of the year, 17.75 miles in 1 hour. Turned around early because of rain
.
Oh....the things I would say if I were in your place.....the things I would say...
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 03:16 PM   #1453
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti
 
voldemort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial
Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
I finally got out for my first ride of the season yesterday: a couple of laps totalling 16 miles around Stoney Creek Metropark (Rochester, MI). Hey -- it's the first time out since last November, and I'm coming off of a running-related hamstring injury that's had me sidelined since January. Here's the course as recorded by my Forerunner:



It's 6 miles around the lake on the park road, and the northern spur adds another 3+ miles. It's a great place for hammering down, with lots of bikes there in the evenings and on weekends. There's a path alongside the route for runners and recreational bikers, but the roadies stick to the main road. Rolling elevation changes, and the spur is like a biker's speedway.

The only drawback is that it's also famous for wind that tends to circle in both directions at once, so no matter if you ride clockwise or counter-clockwise, you're going into the wind all the way around.
Are the blue spots on the map missile strikes?
voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 03:43 PM   #1454
garysol1 
Senior Member
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,120
4-22 34 miles on Lake rd. nice breeze and lots of sun. The last 5 or so miles was into a STRONG southerly wind.....
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles

Last edited by garysol1; 04-22-08 at 06:01 PM.
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 05:58 PM   #1455
wireless
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 193
4/22 - yeah! no rain today - and another 16 miles.
wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 06:45 PM   #1456
jbernaeyge
Senior Member
 
jbernaeyge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hampshire, illinois
Bikes: jamis
Posts: 169
4-22 did three loops through raceway woods on the mtb
__________________
http://www.a51tattoos.net/
(815)4551199
http://www.e-rudy.com
http://www.villagepedaler.com
09 Specialized Roubaix
09 Specialized Stump jumper 29er single speed
jbernaeyge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 07:52 PM   #1457
dannwilliams 
It's as easy as riding a
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: '14 Salsa Colossal, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
Posts: 772
4/22 31 miles from Hudson,WI
Total Time (h:m:s) 2:00:51 3:55 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 1:55:13 3:44 pace
Distance (mi ) 30.78
Moving Speed (mph) 16.0 avg. 30.1 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +1,484 / -1,489

Avg. Heart Rate 139 bpm Zone 3.5
__________________
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."
dannwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 08:54 PM   #1458
Scummer
Genetics have failed me
 
Scummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zorneding, Germany
Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Trek Madone 5.9, Old MTB and lots of spare parts
Posts: 2,986
Tuesday night races. About 1.5 hours of racing divided into 3 races. My legs are cooked.
2nd race I wanted to have some fun and after about 3 or 4 laps I was maybe in 5th or 6th and the pack was moving kinda slow at 23 mph and right before the turn I let loose. Put a nice gap on the pack but then completely popped after about a 1/4 lap and let myself fall back into the pack. It was fun tho I probably made somewhat close to over 100 Watts during that break-away j/k as there are a few stronger riders in the B group.
__________________
Gelato aficionado.
Scummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 05:25 AM   #1459
whitesox
Senior Member
 
whitesox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Giant OCR-C3 Composite
Posts: 272
4-22 Did not ride, ran 6.5 miles.
whitesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 05:27 AM   #1460
whitesox
Senior Member
 
whitesox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Giant OCR-C3 Composite
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
Tuesday night races. About 1.5 hours of racing divided into 3 races. My legs are cooked.
2nd race I wanted to have some fun and after about 3 or 4 laps I was maybe in 5th or 6th and the pack was moving kinda slow at 23 mph and right before the turn I let loose. Put a nice gap on the pack but then completely popped after about a 1/4 lap and let myself fall back into the pack. It was fun tho I probably made somewhat close to over 100 Watts during that break-away j/k as there are a few stronger riders in the B group.
nice riding scummer!
whitesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 06:39 AM   #1461
Scummer
Genetics have failed me
 
Scummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zorneding, Germany
Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Trek Madone 5.9, Old MTB and lots of spare parts
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox View Post
nice riding scummer!
Thanks! There were not alot of XXX guys here this time. Maybe one or two, while last week it was like XXX and then the rest
__________________
Gelato aficionado.
Scummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 07:37 AM   #1462
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
I like to refer to those guys with the same phrase I reserved for my favorite eatery at school - "Tri Chi"


4/22 - Tuesday night "Group Ride" out of Penny Road Pub in Barrington. I say "Group" because the group consisted of one regular, CyLowe, and myself. We held on for a while, but when the rollers came you know my butt was off the back. I get sick of that sometimes.

Back is killing me from the effort in the TT on Sunday. My position wasn't right for that and I put a lot of strain on my back with the huge effort. I have a back defect that actually made me quite other sports and take up cycling back in the 80's that is usually OK, but I messed it up early this year and have been having to temper my activity to keep from completely taking me out of commission.

I remember thinking - there's no way I am commuting tomorrow - I need a day off.

So this morning I commuted in. Felt awesome and destroyed my best time in this year for sure and maybe even the best since I began commuting. (Yes, I had a bit of a tailwind).

This is even on the commuter corss bike with the knobbies.

My name is Psimet....and I AM awesomized.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:21 AM   #1463
aham23
grilled cheesus
Thread Starter
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
I like to refer to those guys with the same phrase I reserved for my favorite eatery at school - "Tri Chi"


4/22 - Tuesday night "Group Ride" out of Penny Road Pub in Barrington. I say "Group" because the group consisted of one regular, CyLowe, and myself. We held on for a while, but when the rollers came you know my butt was off the back. I get sick of that sometimes.

Back is killing me from the effort in the TT on Sunday. My position wasn't right for that and I put a lot of strain on my back with the huge effort. I have a back defect that actually made me quite other sports and take up cycling back in the 80's that is usually OK, but I messed it up early this year and have been having to temper my activity to keep from completely taking me out of commission.

I remember thinking - there's no way I am commuting tomorrow - I need a day off.

So this morning I commuted in. Felt awesome and destroyed my best time in this year for sure and maybe even the best since I began commuting. (Yes, I had a bit of a tailwind).

This is even on the commuter corss bike with the knobbies.

My name is Psimet....and I AM awesomized.
this is an entire new level for pre ride sandbagging / banter.

first, you do what we do, lay out the reasons why you will NOT have a successful ride this weekend. however, then you go against rule number 7 of the BFNIC by stating the legs feel good and ready. ready to crush souls maybe?

hey, im not saying. im just saying.

later.

edit: crap, it appears under rule 13 of the BFNIC your actions are allowed as you did not post this in the actual ride thread. but, i am on to you later (again)
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:51 AM   #1464
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
this is an entire new level for pre ride sandbagging / banter.

first, you do what we do, lay out the reasons why you will NOT have a successful ride this weekend. however, then you go against rule number 7 of the BFNIC by stating the legs feel good and ready. ready to crush souls maybe?

hey, im not saying. im just saying.

later.

edit: crap, it appears under rule 13 of the BFNIC your actions are allowed as you did not post this in the actual ride thread. but, i am on to you later (again)
Ahh...you forgot the special proxy provision pertaining to the seating president. I reserve the right to blame:

1. Equipment
2. Inadequate training
3. Personal injury
4. Mechanical failure

in instances where poor performance is witnessed.

Considering I am a wussy and racing on Saturday I feel I will have the need to invoke this right.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:53 AM   #1465
jbernaeyge
Senior Member
 
jbernaeyge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hampshire, illinois
Bikes: jamis
Posts: 169
4-23 did a little riding on my lunch break
__________________
http://www.a51tattoos.net/
(815)4551199
http://www.e-rudy.com
http://www.villagepedaler.com
09 Specialized Roubaix
09 Specialized Stump jumper 29er single speed
jbernaeyge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 11:08 AM   #1466
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
Ahh...you forgot the special proxy provision pertaining to the seating president. I reserve the right to blame:

1. Equipment
2. Inadequate training
3. Personal injury
4. Mechanical failure

in instances where poor performance is witnessed.

Considering I am a wussy and racing on Saturday I feel I will have the need to invoke this right.
Should we have the WHAAAAmbulance on standby for you on Sunday? Or should I just can a few answers for you now?
  • "I raced for 30 minutes yesterday, so I'm tired!"
  • "I raced for 30 minutes and my back hurts because my back is all defective and stuff."
  • "My full DA componentry is just too tempermental"
  • "I'm treating New Glarus as a recovery ride"
  • "I'm hungover."
  • "I'm not hungover, I'm still drunk."

CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 11:37 AM   #1467
aham23
grilled cheesus
Thread Starter
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
Ahh...you forgot the special proxy provision pertaining to the seating president. I reserve the right to blame:

1. Equipment
2. Inadequate training
3. Personal injury
4. Mechanical failure

in instances where poor performance is witnessed.

Considering I am a wussy and racing on Saturday I feel I will have the need to invoke this right.

consider it noted and invoked. i mean, you are the el presidente'.

later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 12:40 PM   #1468
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
Should we have the WHAAAAmbulance on standby for you on Sunday?
Definitely. Consider yourselves forewarned.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 06:26 PM   #1469
dannwilliams 
It's as easy as riding a
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: '14 Salsa Colossal, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
Posts: 772
4/23 Yes. First WED nite ride from Hoffman Park this year. LARGE group, split into two AND I HUNG WITH THE "A" GROUP!!!! Lotta hills, same basic route I did last week only in reverse. I am learning to not fear the hills, ATTACK. Once I win mentally I can see my avg speed leaping up dramatically. The stats:
Total Time (h:m:s) 2:15:58 4:49 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 1:47:18 3:48 pace
Distance (mi ) 28.16
Moving Speed (mph) 15.7 avg. 38.0 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +1,785 / -1,799

Avg. Heart Rate 127 bpm Zone 2.8
__________________
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."
dannwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 06:32 PM   #1470
dannwilliams 
It's as easy as riding a
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: '14 Salsa Colossal, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannwilliams View Post
Elevation Gain (ft) +1,785 / -1,799
Question: Why does Motionbased elevation differ from that downloaded into Ascent and Training Center?
Ascent +1318.9 / -1334.1
Garmin Training Center +1434 / -1450
Which one would be the correct one?
__________________
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."
dannwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 06:40 PM   #1471
wireless
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 193
4/23 - late at work today , but I did squeeze 10 miles in before dark - much better than not riding!
wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 06:52 PM   #1472
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
Posts: 8,850
I "raced" yesterday. My legs felt great, so I was off the front twice in the first two laps, but I've been sick, and add Bondo inhalation to that and my lungs were hurting so badly. I dropped out on the third lap.

I skipped my group ride tonight and worked at the bike shop instead. Tomorrow I'm taking the day off of school to get away from the Bondo dust and try to heal my lungs a little bit, and my PowerTap is supposedly going to arrive tomorrow.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 07:07 PM   #1473
aham23
grilled cheesus
Thread Starter
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannwilliams View Post
Question: Why does Motionbased elevation differ from that downloaded into Ascent and Training Center?
Ascent +1318.9 / -1334.1
Garmin Training Center +1434 / -1450
Which one would be the correct one?
MB is its own program that takes the pure data from the Edge and interpruts it in its own way. it should be more accurate, but that is questionable. MB tries to correct any errors it sees in how the data was recorded. TC is just showing exactly what was recorded. use the one that is higher. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 07:20 PM   #1474
Scummer
Genetics have failed me
 
Scummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zorneding, Germany
Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Trek Madone 5.9, Old MTB and lots of spare parts
Posts: 2,986
Towed my daughter around for about 45 min. More like a recovery ride from yesterday training races.
__________________
Gelato aficionado.
Scummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 08:12 PM   #1475
dannwilliams 
It's as easy as riding a
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: '14 Salsa Colossal, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
use the one that is higher. later.
I always do
__________________
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."
dannwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.