Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-07, 04:31 PM   #1
SmokinMiles
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SmokinMiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike Psychos Reports....

Did the 70 (which I think was actually closer to 65) at Bike Psychos today. Fabulous scenery ....beautiful sunshine and well stocked rest stops. There's a link to some pictures I took below. I missed seeing any BFers but had a great day.

Whitesox....I talked to a gal at the Illini Park rest stop that I think might have been you. I kept thinking later, "that gal I talked to looked so familiar" If it was you, I'm gonna be so bummed that we didn't make the connection. Were you the gal who was conferring with a fellow rider, Steve, about getting a head start out of the rest stop to tackle the hill and then were yelling at him since he went the wrong way. You mentioned to me that you were doing the 100. I was wearing blue shorts and had my helmet off (blonde, curly hair)

Crystal


http://picasaweb.google.com/crystal.louden/BikePsychos This album includes my daughter's first day of school picture. Also, feel free to look at any of my other public galleries from Colorado or last weekend's National Criterium Pro Races in Downers Grove

Last edited by SmokinMiles; 08-26-07 at 04:37 PM.
SmokinMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 06:53 PM   #2
KHS_Flite_1000
Senior Member
 
KHS_Flite_1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Shorewood IL
Bikes: KHS Flite 1000
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another great ride. I did the 124 in 6:20. The only bad thing was getting a flat in the loop into Ogelsby. This ride is my favorite ride of the year!
KHS_Flite_1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 07:34 PM   #3
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was the 70 mile route for me. I was actually a bit bummed with the route. It was more of an out and back then anything else. I chalk it up to the rain and flooded out roads that forced them to redo the route just prior to the ride. I just remember last years 100 mile route being most excellent.

Anyway, around mile 40 my legs informed me I should have opted for the 30 mile family option! . I rode the route with Signal11 who should up on his new singlespeed. Despite not riding much lately we both managed a decent ride. Signal11 was blasting up some of those rollers and I am pretty sure he waited on me (for me) a bit at the end.

A great day to be out on the bike and a solid ride.

The Garmin Says.

Later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 04:32 AM   #4
SmokinMiles
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SmokinMiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
It was the 70 mile route for me. I was actually a bit bummed with the route. It was more of an out and back then anything else. I chalk it up to the rain and flooded out roads that forced them to redo the route just prior to the ride. I just remember last years 100 mile route being most excellent.

Anyway, around mile 40 my legs informed me I should have opted for the 30 mile family option! . I rode the route with Signal11 who should up on his new singlespeed. Despite not riding much lately we both managed a decent ride. Signal11 was blasting up some of those rollers and I am pretty sure he waited on me (for me) a bit at the end.

A great day to be out on the bike and a solid ride.

The Garmin Says.

Later.
I should have mentioned that while I wouldn't always want to do an out and back, sometimes I like it. I enjoyed seeing folks coming at me the other direction and was thinking I might see you and signal. I'm sure the rain had affected the routes and since you had done it before, I can understand your disappointment with it. Next year, I'll look forward to the 100. I arrived about 7:05. Probably just missed you guys taking off.
SmokinMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 04:47 AM   #5
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMiles View Post
I should have mentioned that while I wouldn't always want to do an out and back, sometimes I like it. I enjoyed seeing folks coming at me the other direction and was thinking I might see you and signal. I'm sure the rain had affected the routes and since you had done it before, I can understand your disappointment with it. Next year, I'll look forward to the 100. I arrived about 7:05. Probably just missed you guys taking off.
yep, we rolled out at 7:02am. we would have waited but i thought you were departing at 730am .
as for the route i just really liked last years. it was scenic and rolling. still a nice ride though. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 09:20 AM   #6
signal11
Jazzman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 2006 Lemond Sarthe, Lemond Fillmore, Surly Crosscheck
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I joined aham23 on the 70 mile route and had a great time. The last couple of months have just been brutal for me due to business travel, but it was nice to get out on the bike again. The weather was absolutely perfect.

This was the longest ride I'd ever done on my single speed which was an interesting experience---I think aham23 thought I was a little insane with blasting some of the hills and so forth (hey, have to keep that momentum) :-). Put up a pretty decent time of around 4 hours for the route so I'm happy. I am dragging more than usual today though.
signal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 06:33 AM   #7
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal11 View Post
I joined aham23 on the 70 mile route and had a great time. The last couple of months have just been brutal for me due to business travel, but it was nice to get out on the bike again. The weather was absolutely perfect.

This was the longest ride I'd ever done on my single speed which was an interesting experience---I think aham23 thought I was a little insane with blasting some of the hills and so forth (hey, have to keep that momentum) :-). Put up a pretty decent time of around 4 hours for the route so I'm happy. I am dragging more than usual today though.
correct. .
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 11:35 AM   #8
whitesox
Senior Member
 
whitesox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Giant OCR-C3 Composite
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smokinmiles!!, yes that was me!! After I walked away, I thought to myself "is that smokinmiles?"... and I don't know why I didn't go back.... probably because one of my buddy's was such an impatient rest stop rider... he would literally take a pee at the rest stop and go sit back on his bike and say "let's go", arggggggggggh!! LOL!!

but yes that was me!!, I'm sorry we didn't get to chat.

... but I ended up doing the full 124 route, and then some!! Since they rerouted the route a bit, we ended with 130 miles... well actually 129.2 when we pulled into the lot... and we finished the 8/10 in the parking lot, he he

but man that was a long ride!! We ended with an average of 14.1 for the entire ride.... and we were one of the last people to leave the parking lot... but it sure was fun... a bit sore at the end, but fun It took a total of 9hrs, 9min, and 27sec
whitesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 11:40 AM   #9
whitesox
Senior Member
 
whitesox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Giant OCR-C3 Composite
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHS_Flite_1000 View Post
Another great ride. I did the 124 in 6:20. The only bad thing was getting a flat in the loop into Ogelsby. This ride is my favorite ride of the year!
holy cow!!, what did you end up with for an avg speed?

yuk on the flat in Ogelsby... was the sag able to help you there, or did you fix it on your own?
whitesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 02:10 PM   #10
SmokinMiles
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SmokinMiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox View Post
smokinmiles!!, yes that was me!! After I walked away, I thought to myself "is that smokinmiles?"... and I don't know why I didn't go back.... probably because one of my buddy's was such an impatient rest stop rider... he would literally take a pee at the rest stop and go sit back on his bike and say "let's go", arggggggggggh!! LOL!!

but yes that was me!!, I'm sorry we didn't get to chat.

... but I ended up doing the full 124 route, and then some!! Since they rerouted the route a bit, we ended with 130 miles... well actually 129.2 when we pulled into the lot... and we finished the 8/10 in the parking lot, he he

but man that was a long ride!! We ended with an average of 14.1 for the entire ride.... and we were one of the last people to leave the parking lot... but it sure was fun... a bit sore at the end, but fun It took a total of 9hrs, 9min, and 27sec
Wow! What a great day you had! Ok...next time we'll know each other for sure! Crystal
SmokinMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 07:00 PM   #11
KHS_Flite_1000
Senior Member
 
KHS_Flite_1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Shorewood IL
Bikes: KHS Flite 1000
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox View Post
holy cow!!, what did you end up with for an avg speed?

yuk on the flat in Ogelsby... was the sag able to help you there, or did you fix it on your own?
I believe it was something around 19.5 or 19.6. Those few hills tended to slow the average down a bit. I ended up changing the flat myself with the help of another guy following me. Good thing I was with someone else because I messed up my new tube. He ended up giving me his spare tube. There wasn't anyone else that passed us by when we were stopped.
KHS_Flite_1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 PM.