Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-07, 11:00 PM   #1
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti
Thread Starter
 
voldemort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial
Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Bike shop in St. Charles

Across from Blue Goose on Illinois near bike path. Stopped in Sat., asked how long they'd been open. "About 7 1/2 hours". I had to get a closer peek at some jerseys I saw through the window. Very nice. They have about a half dozen different jersey prints (custom made) of old cycling posters. You may have noticed I'm kind of into unusual (some would say weird, many would say ugly, I like to think unique) jerseys. Still a kind of empty store at present. Only carrying some Schwinns at the moment.
voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 11:36 PM   #2
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Throw a link to a map location. I am commuting tomorrow and maybe I can check it out.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 08:22 AM   #3
nietsmas
samoots
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: nw suburbs, IL
Bikes: Moots Vamoots
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm no expert, but it seems like horrible timing to open a bike shop in illinois. seems to be about 6 months too late.
nietsmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 07:58 PM   #4
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser
 
BetweenRides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Lemond 853; Merlin Cyrene; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Jake the Snake Cross, Trek 8000 MTB
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your got a name for this place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietsmas View Post
i'm no expert, but it seems like horrible timing to open a bike shop in illinois. seems to be about 6 months too late.
You are correct - especially since 3 other new shops have opened in the tri-cities area in 2007, including 2 in St. Charles within a 1/2 mile of the Blue Goose.
BetweenRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 08:26 PM   #5
Kimbercop
Senior Member
 
Kimbercop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen the new store while at work. Havent stopped in yet because they havent looked open. They are in the Eric & Me strip mall (Fox Island Square) where Ragamuffin used to be. Its called the bike shop or something catchy like that but it is at the corner of Illinois and the river ist building west of the river, south side. I thought I saw a specialized sign in there but like I said, I havent been in yet. I guess I have a mission tommorrow while on duty, stop in and say hi. That makes 4 stores in St. Chuck now, Bike Rack, Bike Heaven, Sammy's (bling) and this new one. As many riders as I see every day while on duty, there no way this town can sustain 4 stores. One has got to go. Plus theres 2 in Geneva just down the trail. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Bike rack is safe, they sell Trek. I hope Sammy can hang in there with all the fine Italian pieces of art he has stocked.
__________________
and the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Kimbercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 10:46 PM   #6
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti
Thread Starter
 
voldemort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial
Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
Throw a link to a map location. I am commuting tomorrow and maybe I can check it out.
Pretty basic. Ride south on Fox River trail into St. Charles. Immediately after you cross Illinois Street, turn right and cross the bridge. Kimbercop had it right, the name is The Bike Shop. Even my 13-year old made a crack about what a clever name it was (he's learning the fine art of sarcasm from his Dad). It's the very first building on your left after you get across the river.
voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 09:04 AM   #7
atomship47
the actual el guapo
 
atomship47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest
Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercop View Post
I've seen the new store while at work. Havent stopped in yet because they havent looked open. They are in the Eric & Me strip mall (Fox Island Square) where Ragamuffin used to be. Its called the bike shop or something catchy like that but it is at the corner of Illinois and the river ist building west of the river, south side. I thought I saw a specialized sign in there but like I said, I havent been in yet. I guess I have a mission tommorrow while on duty, stop in and say hi. That makes 4 stores in St. Chuck now, Bike Rack, Bike Heaven, Sammy's (bling) and this new one. As many riders as I see every day while on duty, there no way this town can sustain 4 stores. One has got to go. Plus theres 2 in Geneva just down the trail. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Bike rack is safe, they sell Trek. I hope Sammy can hang in there with all the fine Italian pieces of art he has stocked.
ara seems like a really nice guy. however, i've noticed his shop closed quite a bit when i drive by. hope that's not a sign of things to come.

sammy, well, hopefully the brands he has in inventory will save him. otherwise, he'll have to rely on bmx and the skate shop he said he's going to open.

stopped by the bike rack on my last ride. the owner seems nice enough. he took the time to talk with me about steel bikes and recumbents. i may stop by another day to ride a co-motion steel he had.
atomship47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 11:55 AM   #8
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser
 
BetweenRides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Lemond 853; Merlin Cyrene; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Jake the Snake Cross, Trek 8000 MTB
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't forget the new Trek dealer in Batavia, second location for Prairie Path Cycles in Winfield and only 5-6 miles from the Bike Rack. Surprising to hear the new shop will stock Specialized, as Mill Race in Geneva is a Specialized dealer, and there is another in North Aurora and one up in South Elgin. I hope you're right about Sammy's. He's a good guy that I've known for years, and it's great to have a bling-bling road shop in town. His BMX shop is about finished and stocked up.

I stopped in Bicycle Heaven last night, and he's moving to a new location on Rt 64 around 5th St, where the old clock shop used to be. Better location, plus it has windows and a larger show room area.

Bike Rack is a good, reliable shop and I've known the family for years. They do mostly family type comfort bikes but have a fair selection of Trek, Gary Fisher, Lemond and are also dealers for Serrota, Lynskey Co_Motion and Merlin. Plus they have a very nice Performance Center for winter training and the whole recumbent/Creative Mobility niche.

Way too many shops for the area, though, so I expect to see some fall out next season.
BetweenRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 12:30 PM   #9
atomship47
the actual el guapo
 
atomship47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest
Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetweenRides View Post
Don't forget the new Trek dealer in Batavia, second location for Prairie Path Cycles in Winfield and only 5-6 miles from the Bike Rack. Surprising to hear the new shop will stock Specialized, as Mill Race in Geneva is a Specialized dealer, and there is another in North Aurora and one up in South Elgin. I hope you're right about Sammy's. He's a good guy that I've known for years, and it's great to have a bling-bling road shop in town. His BMX shop is about finished and stocked up.

I stopped in Bicycle Heaven last night, and he's moving to a new location on Rt 64 around 5th St, where the old clock shop used to be. Better location, plus it has windows and a larger show room area.

Bike Rack is a good, reliable shop and I've known the family for years. They do mostly family type comfort bikes but have a fair selection of Trek, Gary Fisher, Lemond and are also dealers for Serrota, Lynskey Co_Motion and Merlin. Plus they have a very nice Performance Center for winter training and the whole recumbent/Creative Mobility niche.

Way too many shops for the area, though, so I expect to see some fall out next season.
mission bay in elgin is moving to arlington heights in 3 weeks.
atomship47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 02:10 PM   #10
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomship47 View Post
mission bay in elgin is moving to arlington heights in 3 weeks.
Say it ain't so! That sucks. I'm not driving to Arlington heights to shop there. Since they were around the block I would pick stuff up there, but I guess that's over.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 06:34 PM   #11
atomship47
the actual el guapo
 
atomship47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest
Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yup. i believe the official move date is 12/2.

they ordered a new saddle from felt for me. i need to get up there to pick it up before they move....it already takes me 45 minutes to get there.
atomship47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 06:42 PM   #12
Kimbercop
Senior Member
 
Kimbercop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stopped in the "Bike Shop" today and said hi. Not quite sure if it was the owner or manager or who it was I was speaking with. Was on the luke warm side. Not outwardly friendly but I'm sure he's busy so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, when the cops show up, people tend to change their demeanors ever so slightly.

Said he's gonna stock the following: Schwinn, Felt, Scott, Orbea and Willier. Was unpacking a few Orbea's while I was there. Nice location, shop is very warm feeling, stone walls, wood floors etc. Overlooks the river. Saw that Bike Heaven was for sale. Glad to hear he's gonna move, but still think he'll be the odd man out due to location, but I wish him the best cause he seems like a nice guy.

Stopped over at Sammy's and had a hard time getting out of there. Guy is super friendly and man does he have some eye candy in there. He's got the skate shop opened on the other side of the building and might do well with that too. Havent stopped in the Bike Rack in a while. Nothing against them or Trek but when I needed a seat post collar, he ordered me a Bontrager for my Pinarello. Just couldnt bring myself to put it on so its a spare now. Lance has always been nice to me and my department so much props to him for that.

The way I see it, the more the merrier, especially with all that eye candy available and me working days next year. I see myself spending lots of time ($$ too) around town next year. Even more so if Mission Bay leaves Elgin.
__________________
and the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Kimbercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 06:49 PM   #13
atomship47
the actual el guapo
 
atomship47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest
Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cool. i hope he stocks a few williers. the shop in glen ellyn carries them. however, the last time i was there, they only had one and it wasn't my size.
atomship47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 06:51 PM   #14
atomship47
the actual el guapo
 
atomship47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest
Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sammy is the guy who tried to sell me a 90's ritchey steel cx with older d/a and mavic components/wheelsets for $1900. and he seemed pretty pissed that i passed.
atomship47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 08:55 PM   #15
Kimbercop
Senior Member
 
Kimbercop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgot that the Bike Shop in St. Chuck will be stocking and selling BMC also. Not sure how that one coulda slipped my mind.
__________________
and the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Kimbercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 10:10 PM   #16
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercop View Post
Forgot that the Bike Shop in St. Chuck will be stocking and selling BMC also. Not sure how that one coulda slipped my mind.
Wow. BMC bikes are a thing of beauty. Can't afford one, but nice to look at.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 06:11 PM   #17
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser
 
BetweenRides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Lemond 853; Merlin Cyrene; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Jake the Snake Cross, Trek 8000 MTB
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped by on Saturday - The Bike Shop's grand opening. Turns out the head wrench is John, formerly of the Bike Rack. He's a great guy and a good mechanic. Nice selection of Scott, Orbea and Felt with a few Schwinn's on the low end. It is a nice building and good location, except parking will be tight when Erik & Me reopens. They have some very nice Pactimo jerseys.
BetweenRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 08:47 PM   #18
Kimbercop
Senior Member
 
Kimbercop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Didnt know Eric and Me was planning on re-opening. Used to love it there. Was very suprised to hear they closed. Not as suprised as the employees who showed up one day to work to find the doors locked with a note from the owners on the door saying they were closed and they were all now ex-employees. Class act. Whats even funnier is they had us stand by when the employees showed up toprevent trouble. Like I said, class act..
__________________
and the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Kimbercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 03:00 PM   #19
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser
 
BetweenRides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Lemond 853; Merlin Cyrene; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Jake the Snake Cross, Trek 8000 MTB
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to the Bike Shop's owner, Erik & Me is being re-opened by the original owner who had sold the restaurant. He said it was amazing that someone could take a $2million dollar profitable business and run it into the ground in 13 short months. My wife and I used to love dining there until they changed hands, then service, food and general cleanliness dropped off, so we quit going. Looking forward to the original opening back up.

BTW, assuming you are on the St. Charles force, do you know an Officer Ferguson? Dad of a good friend.
BetweenRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 03:22 PM   #20
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetweenRides View Post
According to the Bike Shop's owner, Erik & Me is being re-opened by the original owner who had sold the restaurant. He said it was amazing that someone could take a $2million dollar profitable business and run it into the ground in 13 short months. My wife and I used to love dining there until they changed hands, then service, food and general cleanliness dropped off, so we quit going. Looking forward to the original opening back up.

BTW, assuming you are on the St. Charles force, do you know an Officer Ferguson? Dad of a good friend.
No...actually he's just a fan of Tazers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUTkmYUDAP4
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 06:36 PM   #21
Kimbercop
Senior Member
 
Kimbercop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Psimet, you're just not gonna let me forget that are you?? I just certified all the officers in SC and got some good video of them too. Only 1/4 of them "Rode the lightning" tho. Man is the younger generation getting soft (smart??).

Betweenrides- Didnt know about the changing of the guard at Erik and me. Good to hear about the plans to reopen. Thats one of those well kept secret type of places. I'm sure that mess of downtown couldnt really help the new owners much. Yes I know retired (********) Ofc. Ferguson very well, his wife is on my shift and is a hoot. We rode in together a few times last year.
__________________
and the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Kimbercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 AM.