Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Got Hills, I do! "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    My Bikes
    Guru Photon 11 lbs - Niner Jet Nine RDO 21 lbs - Cannondale Super X 15 lbs
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Michigan's version of the HHH/Dairyland Dare

    I plan on putting together an organized event in the spring of 2010 That will be similar to the HHH. It will have a metric, regular century, and double metric options. I have been studying topo maps and have the routes all set up. I have rode the metric and the 28 mile loop that will be added to the century for the double and they are tough. I have yet to ride the 100 mile route on a bike and need to ride it to get a graph and elevation data so I can start to promote it next spring.

    Next Sunday Sept 7th Will be the first time to ride the 100 mile route and all BF members are welcome to join in on some good suffering. I will provide maps and Cue sheets if anyone would like them (you must Inform me ahead of time). This will be a unsupported ride at no charge There will be plenty of areas to stop and refuel.

    So far the numbers are very close to the numbers I have from the double metric on the HHH from this spring, a little shy but close. My wife has the laptop, and my numbers from the metric. I will post the graph and numbers later today so you can see what you are in for.

    I have had troubles rounding up BF'ers for the NWMBFC before so lets see if these hills will help out.



    Time and location

    Sunday September 7th 2008
    Downtown Bellaire, MI http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...78906&t=p&z=10
    10:00 AM



    So far
    "Fred"
    Ryanf
    road fan

  2. #2
    grilled cheesus aham23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    8675309
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Posts
    6,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 hours from chicago.....i am calling the tower now!!

    seriously, sounds like a great time. put me down as a strong maybe for 2010. i am sure i could drag the family up there for a weekend and they could find something to do.

    later.

  3. #3
    Got Hills, I do! "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    My Bikes
    Guru Photon 11 lbs - Niner Jet Nine RDO 21 lbs - Cannondale Super X 15 lbs
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As promised here is the hill profile for the metric. The metric covers the same route as the 100 it is just cut short. It does however miss the biggest climb. On the metric I got 22 hills that hit at least a 10% grade with the max of 18% which is the "THE WALL" a three mile climb that starts mild and gradually steepens to the 18% final climb (mile 54-57).




  4. #4
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,758
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    As promised here is the hill profile for the metric. The metric covers the same route as the 100 it is just cut short. It does however miss the biggest climb. On the metric I got 22 hills that hit at least a 10% grade with the max of 18% which is the "THE WALL" a three mile climb that starts mild and gradually steepens to the 18% final climb (mile 54-57).



    Wow, Fred, some profile! Where is that wall?

    I wish I lived closer and was ready to do a hard century- I'd love to test it with y'all!

  5. #5
    Got Hills, I do! "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    My Bikes
    Guru Photon 11 lbs - Niner Jet Nine RDO 21 lbs - Cannondale Super X 15 lbs
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Wow, Fred, some profile! Where is that wall?

    I wish I lived closer and was ready to do a hard century- I'd love to test it with y'all!
    If you can make it up you could do a 40 mile route with us. You be alone the last 14 miles, but I would give you a map and Que sheet.

    The wall is on a road between East Jordan and Boyne City. It is about 4 miles from the end of the metric and century routes. It is a very popular or should I say unpopular part of some local rides.

  6. #6
    Member gr8lksrungal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MI
    My Bikes
    Giant Rincon MB
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
    5 hours from chicago.....i am calling the tower now!!

    seriously, sounds like a great time. put me down as a strong maybe for 2010. i am sure i could drag the family up there for a weekend and they could find something to do.

    later.
    Michiganders will show you and the fam a great time.

    I'm in like Flynn.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,758
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    If you can make it up you could do a 40 mile route with us. You be alone the last 14 miles, but I would give you a map and Que sheet.

    The wall is on a road between East Jordan and Boyne City. It is about 4 miles from the end of the metric and century routes. It is a very popular or should I say unpopular part of some local rides.
    50 would work, and I don't mind being alone if I have directions.

    Lemme talk to Mrs Road Fan and PM you, Fred.

    Road Fan

  8. #8
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,758
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    50 would work, and I don't mind being alone if I have directions.

    Lemme talk to Mrs Road Fan and PM you, Fred.

    Road Fan
    I think I'm on for the 40 miler or other short one - got a 55?

    Where would you suggest getting a hotel for Saturday night?

    Feel free to PM me, Fred,

    Road Fan

  9. #9
    Got Hills, I do! "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    My Bikes
    Guru Photon 11 lbs - Niner Jet Nine RDO 21 lbs - Cannondale Super X 15 lbs
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I think I'm on for the 40 miler or other short one - got a 55?

    Where would you suggest getting a hotel for Saturday night?

    Feel free to PM me, Fred,

    Road Fan

    PM sent!

  10. #10
    Got Hills, I do! "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    My Bikes
    Guru Photon 11 lbs - Niner Jet Nine RDO 21 lbs - Cannondale Super X 15 lbs
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like "Fred", Road Fan, and Ryanf so far. There is still time to get a map made if you want to show up. I will even customize routes if you want to do different mileage.

    I know there are some BF'ers from Traverse City that read these post. You can do Hills so lets show up and make the NWMBFC proud.

  11. #11
    The Truth Ih8lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami
    My Bikes
    Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.
    Posts
    2,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to do this ride, but it is my weekend to work. Damn I would do this .
    Sean Kelly is a god, sure a god that I can't understand a word he is saying, but a god nonetheless.

  12. #12
    lowracer ninja master lowracer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, I'd do it, but I just got done doing the Wall last week on Dalmac's quad century. With the additional mileage I ended up doing by missing turn upon turn for 4 days, I ended up with 467 total miles in 4 days, so nope, my legs are still tired.
    chris@promocycle.net

  13. #13
    Got Hills, I do! "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    My Bikes
    Guru Photon 11 lbs - Niner Jet Nine RDO 21 lbs - Cannondale Super X 15 lbs
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowracer1 View Post
    Dang, I'd do it, but I just got done doing the Wall last week on Dalmac's quad century. With the additional mileage I ended up doing by missing turn upon turn for 4 days, I ended up with 467 total miles in 4 days, so nope, my legs are still tired.

    Did you do the wall on a recumbent?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,758
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred and all,

    Sorry to say I will not be able to come up to Bellaire for this, after all! My wife has come down with an abdominal issue, and I need to be available to help her work through that. I truly appreciate that you have made up a special route for me, and maybe I can try it out in a week or two.

    Thanks, and have fun on the hills!

    Road Fan

  15. #15
    lowracer ninja master lowracer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    Did you do the wall on a recumbent?

    Yeah, I do the wall every year on a recumbent. Very soon I 'll be going down to the Hilly Hundred to do all those hills too!

    this year did it on this bike.....



    <a href="http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/lowracervk2/?action=view&current=newbikepics029.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/lowracervk2/newbikepics029.jpg" border="0" alt="nocom and mach1"></a>
    chris@promocycle.net

  16. #16
    Got Hills, I do! "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    My Bikes
    Guru Photon 11 lbs - Niner Jet Nine RDO 21 lbs - Cannondale Super X 15 lbs
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road fan, sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she feels better soon.

    When you get a chance to ride the route or part of it let me know what you think.



    lowracer1, WOW! I know quite a few bents and none of them can do the wall. The lack of getting out of the saddle mixed with very low speeds and keeping it on the wheels. Granted there bike doesn't look like yours.
    Did you do the Black bear race out of Grayling? I passed a bike that looked like yours and wonder if it was you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •