I've searched and read the few Haleakala threads on this forum, however I'd like to find out more info and not threadjack.
I'll be in Maui for a few days next month and plan on riding the downhill portion only from 10,023 feet (catching a ride up to the top with the wife), and wanted to know some info from the other road bikers who've done the downhill to see if I'm in over my head or not (I would prefer to not have to go with one of the tour groups if possible). I'm pretty confident in my biking skills but just have never done a huge descent like this one before.
Been biking for ~2 years in the Seattle area, mostly on the BG/lake Sammamish trail, with some urban/city thrown in every once in a while, averaging 30-40 miles/week for commuting and 20-30 miles on weekends; I've also done organized centuries like the RSVP and STP.
1. How much experience did you have before you went, are you a racer, have you done centuries, weekend warrior, etc?
2. What's the avg speed coming down the mountain?
3. I worry about how my rental road bike brakes will fare - any issues here or am i being a worrybug?
4. I know there are always associated risks with any biking activity especially one like this, so what's the biggest risk factor here? I would guess it's a combo of rider inexperience, inattentive drivers, and just the general speed of travel.
5. What was your overall experience of the ride down?
I apologize for the detailed-ness of my questions, I tend to be a worrier and analytical in nature so I hope ya'll understand
Thanks in advance!