Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 302
  1. #151
    Neil_B
    Guest
    For folks with time to kill, here's a set of 1000 photos from my ride on these trails in August 2008:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehist...7607302637009/

    Last edited by Neil_B; 06-03-09 at 09:23 AM.

  2. #152
    Training Wheel Graduate twodeadpoets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Juan/Gulf Islands
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    My mileage has gone up quite a bit in preparation for the trip. This weekend I did a charity ride, a social ride, and a ride on the Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike, all with loaded panniers. It's not the same as pulling a trailer, but it's practice riding with additional weight.
    I'll bring the rope to get a tow from you
    "Ride Like an Orca!" ~tdp
    "People who enjoy waving flags, don't deserve to have one" ~Banksy


  3. #153
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by twodeadpoets View Post
    I'll bring the rope to get a tow from you
    I'm frightened. Many folks on the Touring Forum would find a different use for the rope in my case.

  4. #154
    Training Wheel Graduate twodeadpoets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Juan/Gulf Islands
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I'm frightened. Many folks on the Touring Forum would find a different use for the rope in my case.
    A self proclamation?
    "Ride Like an Orca!" ~tdp
    "People who enjoy waving flags, don't deserve to have one" ~Banksy


  5. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was feeling bad about not getting on the bike for the past week due to the rainy weather and family life, now I feel just awful. I don't have the miles this year that I had hoped, but can't catch up now.

    I have been having some knee pain the past 2 days while riding. No sure if I'm pushing to hard uphill and not spinning enough. It has made me realize that I need to buy a knee brace to bring along just in case this gets worse. Other then that, I'm making my list of items to bring and starting to pile gear in the corner of my room.

    Oh, I have also guaranteed good weather by waterproofing the seams of my tent this past weekend!

    Brian

  6. #156
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR View Post
    Well, I was feeling bad about not getting on the bike for the past week due to the rainy weather and family life, now I feel just awful. I don't have the miles this year that I had hoped, but can't catch up now.

    I have been having some knee pain the past 2 days while riding. No sure if I'm pushing to hard uphill and not spinning enough. It has made me realize that I need to buy a knee brace to bring along just in case this gets worse. Other then that, I'm making my list of items to bring and starting to pile gear in the corner of my room.

    Oh, I have also guaranteed good weather by waterproofing the seams of my tent this past weekend!

    Brian
    I did this same ride last year recovering from a fractured rib. That meant nine weeks of no to little mileage. You can spin to your heart's content on the trails. Nothing more than a two per cent grade uphill, and most of it is less than that. Bring the knee brace if you must, but be prepared to mail it back.

    I field-tested my gear at French Creek State Park last weekend:


  7. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm sorry but i did not read it maybe too long for me. haha! but i'm still writing a comment, i don't nkow why, i think it's because i always want to leave a message.

  8. #158
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR View Post
    Well, I was feeling bad about not getting on the bike for the past week due to the rainy weather and family life, now I feel just awful. I don't have the miles this year that I had hoped, but can't catch up now.

    I have been having some knee pain the past 2 days while riding. No sure if I'm pushing to hard uphill and not spinning enough. It has made me realize that I need to buy a knee brace to bring along just in case this gets worse. Other then that, I'm making my list of items to bring and starting to pile gear in the corner of my room.

    Oh, I have also guaranteed good weather by waterproofing the seams of my tent this past weekend!

    Brian
    Waterproofing isn't a bad idea. Accuweather is predicting some rain the first few days of the tour. While long-range forecasts are often inaccurate, it's good to be prepared.

  9. #159
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Waterproofing isn't a bad idea. Accuweather is predicting some rain the first few days of the tour. While long-range forecasts are often inaccurate, it's good to be prepared.
    I'm glad you posted the bad news. Looks like lots of rain. Hopefully if we get anything, it will either be brief or overnight. I have been watching it for a few days now and it seems to change daily and you are right long term is often inaccurate. I have also found weather.com to be more accurate than accuweather even for near term forecasts.

    The good news is that it does not look like it will be ghastly hot.

    Frankly I don't understand it. The Pittsburgh Arts Festival is next week and everyone knows that is when it rains in June. The festival is shortened this year so maybe Mother Nature did not get the memo. When she does, I'm sure she will want to move some of that rain during our week into next week and we should have all sunny days.
    Last edited by spinnaker; 06-04-09 at 06:43 PM.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  10. #160
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
    I'm glad you posted the bad news. Looks like lots of rain. Hopefully if we get anything, it will either be brief or overnight. I have been watching it for a few days now and it seems to change daily and you are right long term is often inaccurate. I have also found weather.com to be more accurate than accuweather even for near term forecasts.

    The good news is that it does not look like it will be ghastly hot.

    Frankly I don't understand it. The Pittsburgh Arts Festival is next week and everyone knows that is when it rains in June. The festival is shortened this year so maybe Mother Nature did not get the memo. When she does, I'm sure she will want to move some of that rain during our week into next week and we should have all sunny days.
    The GAP and the Montour should drain relatively quickly. The C & O is going to be more of a problem.

    Anyway, bring rain gear, folks!

  11. #161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 5.9
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great ride guys!

    I've been following this thread for about the last 6 weeks or so. I am just getting interested in touring. I would have loved to have joined you, but it just isn't in the cards this year. Maybe this can become an annual event... (Hint Hint spinnaker).

  12. #162
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The GAP and the Montour should drain relatively quickly. The C & O is going to be more of a problem.

    Anyway, bring rain gear, folks!
    I think we might want to consider Plan B if it keeps raining. I really don't like the idea of slogging through mud for a couple of hundred miles.

    How long does it need to be dry for the C&O to be half way decent. Anyone know?
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  13. #163
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Accuweather and weather.com are predicting rain for the days before we arrive on the C&O.

    This is not looking good. At this rate, it looks like it is going to rain the whole month of June. This is unbelievable.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  14. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just mounted up the knobbie tires I brought for this trip, and it looks as though I'll be thankful I have them. I've taken a couple rides (40 miles) and I notice that they kick up any small sand/gravel that is on the road. So now, given that and the weather I need to mount up some kind of splashguard on the downtube to keep the mud somewhat off me.

    Well, if the weather is cool, as least the beer won't get warm!

    Brian

  15. #165
    Training Wheel Graduate twodeadpoets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Juan/Gulf Islands
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR View Post
    Well, if the weather is cool, as least the beer won't get warm!

    Brian
    Your my kind of guy Brian, I appreciate the optimism.
    "Ride Like an Orca!" ~tdp
    "People who enjoy waving flags, don't deserve to have one" ~Banksy


  16. #166
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
    Both Accuweather and weather.com are predicting rain for the days before we arrive on the C&O.

    This is not looking good. At this rate, it looks like it is going to rain the whole month of June. This is unbelievable.
    Accuweather is predicting a mostly dry week when we are on the C & O. There are paved alternates to the C & O in many places, and parts of the C & O are drier than you think. Spin, with all due respect, go relax and ride your bike.

  17. #167
    Neil_B
    Guest
    A few day riders will probably be joining us. Leaving aside names for some of them:

    June 13 and 14 - I expect Spinnaker has some folks joining us on the first two days while we are close to Pittsburgh. Also, JAGraham will be around with her van to both ride with us and possibly assist with SAG.
    June 15 - we have someone riding with us from Connellsville to Rockwood, or at least part way.
    June 18 - Village Idiot will meet us on the trail south of Williamsport and ride with us to Shepardstown.
    June 19 - Scrap Metal will meet us somewhere south of Harper's Ferry and ride with us. Also, a couple of other folks have expressed an interest.

    Anyone else? Please contact me via PM.

  18. #168
    Training Wheel Graduate twodeadpoets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Juan/Gulf Islands
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a LOT going on and am screaming crazy busy trying to get all my ducks in a row that said I'm almost ready to roll!
    Last edited by twodeadpoets; 06-06-09 at 12:06 AM.
    "Ride Like an Orca!" ~tdp
    "People who enjoy waving flags, don't deserve to have one" ~Banksy


  19. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all this talk of rain for days, I was looking over the lodging. Seems the campgrounds will be fine to camp since that most likely have some kind of shelter to gather in, but the YMCA in Cumberland ( a field) may be a little much in heavy rain. Just did some checking and there is a Red Roof & Motel 8 in La Vale, about 2 miles before Cumberland.

    I don't think I'm going to make any reservation yet, but if after a couple of days in the rain, I'd be willing to pay the YMCA, but stay in a dry room. I'll have my GPS with me, so we'll have ready access to this info. I was very surprise at the lack of lodgin in Cumberland, it appeared to be a good size city, yet not much there.

    Well, I'm off now on a 50 mile shake down ride,

    Brian

  20. #170
    Senior Moment Member jagraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Westsylvania
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    A few day riders will probably be joining us. Leaving aside names for some of them:

    June 13 and 14 - I expect Spinnaker has some folks joining us on the first two days while we are close to Pittsburgh. Also, JAGraham will be around with her van to both ride with us and possibly assist with SAG.
    Will be with you guys at least to Cumberland. Can't pass up the opportunity to do the Glide. Oh, and I'll have the Escort wagon - Jeff needs the Suburban for a couple of *** shows.

    Judy

  21. #171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    upper devonian
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Spiking spinnaker's stress-o-meter.

    I just got off the C&O on Thursday, and thinking you guys were leaving today PM'd spinnaker my concerns about current conditions. I just now realized you're not leaving until next week, and it looks like things should clear up by the time you reach Cumberland. I'm sure I added to spinnaker's planning anxiety, so apologize for any extra stress. Go ride your bike is the best advice, especially figuring out those Montour detours. Be real glad you've got a native guide through those, I spent much time navigating (lost) through those suckers.

    The best part of the ride was the people I met on the way, the smaller the city, the simpler the establishment, the better the experience. I came to dread having to deal with "organization" people when small places weren't available. It's a fabulous trip, enjoy the whole thing.

  22. #172
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jagraham View Post
    Will be with you guys at least to Cumberland. Can't pass up the opportunity to do the Glide. Oh, and I'll have the Escort wagon - Jeff needs the Suburban for a couple of *** shows.

    Judy
    If you are doing the Glide, how are you getting back to the car? I guess you are doing the Climb as well? The WMSR doesn't run on Tuesdays.

    The Glide and the Climb are the 2 per cent grade between Frostburg and Cumberland. From Frostburg it's 16 miles straight downhill to the outskirts of Cumberland. I maintained 18 MPH for most of it in August without needing to pedal.

  23. #173
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR View Post
    After all this talk of rain for days, I was looking over the lodging. Seems the campgrounds will be fine to camp since that most likely have some kind of shelter to gather in, but the YMCA in Cumberland ( a field) may be a little much in heavy rain. Just did some checking and there is a Red Roof & Motel 8 in La Vale, about 2 miles before Cumberland.

    I don't think I'm going to make any reservation yet, but if after a couple of days in the rain, I'd be willing to pay the YMCA, but stay in a dry room. I'll have my GPS with me, so we'll have ready access to this info. I was very surprise at the lack of lodgin in Cumberland, it appeared to be a good size city, yet not much there.

    Well, I'm off now on a 50 mile shake down ride,

    Brian
    ? There's a Holiday Inn across from the trailhead. Also lots of B & Bs, some of which offer shuttle service. Spinnaker might like The Bruce House.

    In August I stayed at a Great Western that shuttled me to and from town. Also, the first hiker/biker site is five miles down the towpath, and it has tree cover.

    I really think all this talk about heavy rain is excessive. Shame on me for bringing it up.

  24. #174
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR View Post
    I just mounted up the knobbie tires I brought for this trip, and it looks as though I'll be thankful I have them. I've taken a couple rides (40 miles) and I notice that they kick up any small sand/gravel that is on the road. So now, given that and the weather I need to mount up some kind of splashguard on the downtube to keep the mud somewhat off me.

    Well, if the weather is cool, as least the beer won't get warm!

    Brian
    I just got cross tires myself - 34s - and I'm testing them out tomorrow.

  25. #175
    Senior Moment Member jagraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Westsylvania
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is the way it's playing out for me right now...

    I've got to take Libby to Racoon Creek State Park on Friday (mid-day) for a weekend gathering. I'll probably get a campsite there for the evening instead of running all the way home to Ligonier -- unless there's a wild party at Spinnaker's. (How far away are you from the park?). I'll be available if anyone needs help getting to their destination. Perhaps we should exchange cell phone numbers?

    What time will you be starting Saturday? Which trailhead? Most important - what brand beer to bring?

    Judy

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •