Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-17, 12:12 PM   #151
cycling705
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Tiger View Post
Yes, that is her only bike, and it performs just fine on those trails. Like you, those are not our primary type of riding, so it's not like we're on them all the time. I should also add that I have lower back problems sometimes, so that was a factor in my choosing a front suspension. And like I said earlier in the thread, I went with a mountain bike with a better suspension than you'll find on a hybrid. Honestly, between the Roam and the ATX Lite, I'd probably go with the ATX Lite. But the Roam is a good bike -- I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with either one.
Thanks. That helps a lot.

I already was leaning toward the ATX Lite. Your comments just nudged me even further.

Last edited by cycling705; 06-17-17 at 07:43 PM.
cycling705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 07:11 PM   #152
cycling705
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Colonel, regarding the link that you posted below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
...is this the stem that you have on your ToughRoad?

I found a bike shop that has nearly all of the bikes I have been contemplating over the last few weeks.

After an afternoon of test rides, I've narrowed my list down to two...

- Giant ToughRoad SLR2
- Specialized Crossroads Sport

The Giant ATX Lite and Roam 3 were really nice bikes, but they just didn't "fit" right overall.

The Crossroads Sport was very comfortable, but the ToughRoad SLR2 frame/ride was fantastic, especially with those 50mm tires. The only issue was that my body position felt a little too forward/aggressive. If I can get a 40-degree stem, it might be perfect. Is that what you have on yours?

Thanks.

Last edited by cycling705; 06-17-17 at 07:43 PM.
cycling705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-17, 03:43 AM   #153
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycling705 View Post
Colonel, regarding the link that you posted below...



...is this the stem that you have on your ToughRoad?

I found a bike shop that has nearly all of the bikes I have been contemplating over the last few weeks.

After an afternoon of test rides, I've narrowed my list down to two...

- Giant ToughRoad SLR2
- Specialized Crossroads Sport

The Giant ATX Lite and Roam 3 were really nice bikes, but they just didn't "fit" right overall.

The Crossroads Sport was very comfortable, but the ToughRoad SLR2 frame/ride was fantastic, especially with those 50mm tires. The only issue was that my body position felt a little too forward/aggressive. If I can get a 40-degree stem, it might be perfect. Is that what you have on yours?

Thanks.
Yes the 40 Degree Stem(130mm length) is what I put on my Toughroad and it has worked out very well for me.

Part of the problem I had with getting the bike to fit me properly was finding a saddle that didn't rip me up in the perineum area, so I figured that raising the handlebars would help there and it did.

If I had found my current saddle(Specialized's The Cup) earlier, perhaps I wouldn't have felt the need to raise my handlebars to such an extent.

BTW, one thing that you might prefer on the Toughroad to the Specialized Crossroads is the size of the second chainring on the cranks.

With the Toughroad's crank being 44/32/22, I find I don't ever move out of the 2nd chainring for when I am tackling hills, as 32/34 and 32/30 enables me to take the hills I can take.

The Specialized Crossroads crank is 48/38/28 and the biggest cog in their cassette is 32, compared to the Toughroad's 34, so with the Specialized Crossroads, in the second chainring, your lowest gear would be based off 38/32.

Last edited by ColonelSanders; 06-18-17 at 03:48 AM.
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 07:33 AM   #154
cycling705
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Yes the 40 Degree Stem(130mm length) is what I put on my Toughroad and it has worked out very well for me.

Part of the problem I had with getting the bike to fit me properly was finding a saddle that didn't rip me up in the perineum area, so I figured that raising the handlebars would help there and it did.

If I had found my current saddle(Specialized's The Cup) earlier, perhaps I wouldn't have felt the need to raise my handlebars to such an extent.
One thing I did like about the Crossroads Sport over the ToughRoad was the ride comfort (i.e. body position).

Is it realistic to think that I can make some adjustments to the ToughRoad (e.g. 40-degree stem, riser handlebar, etc.) to get a more comfortable position, or will that cause unforeseen problems?

For example, when you put on your 40-degree stem, was there enough length in the cables, or did it require you to recable everything (brakes, shifters, etc.)?

Thanks.

Last edited by cycling705; 06-19-17 at 07:50 AM.
cycling705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 08:17 AM   #155
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycling705 View Post
One thing I did like about the Crossroads Sport over the ToughRoad was the ride comfort (i.e. body position).

.
The relaxed seat angle on the Crossroads (71 degrees) will cost you if you have any hills to climb. Makes it harder to climb any hills. The Toughroad is 73 degrees.
prj71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 08:48 AM   #156
cycling705
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
The relaxed seat angle on the Crossroads (71 degrees) will cost you if you have any hills to climb. Makes it harder to climb any hills. The Toughroad is 73 degrees.
Thanks.

If I alter the stem/handlebars on the ToughRoad to create a slightly more comfortable ride, how will that affect hill climbing (if I ever need to)?
cycling705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 04:47 PM   #157
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycling705 View Post
One thing I did like about the Crossroads Sport over the ToughRoad was the ride comfort (i.e. body position).

Is it realistic to think that I can make some adjustments to the ToughRoad (e.g. 40-degree stem, riser handlebar, etc.) to get a more comfortable position, or will that cause unforeseen problems?

For example, when you put on your 40-degree stem, was there enough length in the cables, or did it require you to recable everything (brakes, shifters, etc.)?

Thanks.
I was able to fit the 40 degree stem without any re-cabling, but I don't think there is much slack left now, I think the default Giant handlebar is a 20 mm riser at best, maybe even 10 or 15mm, so I am not sure if I would be able to fit a 40mm riser handlebar.

It might fit, but I would be concerned that it is a step too far.
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION