Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-17, 06:16 PM   #1
one4smoke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Narrowed Down To These 3

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-1-disc-2018

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...s-sport/115229

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../1327610-2018/

Which has the most bang for the buck?
one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 07:06 PM   #2
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: 8
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
In terms of the spec sheet, they're all truly about the same. They all use 9-speed Alivio drivetrains. The Trek and Giant are 3x9 and the Specialized is 2x9. Personally, I'd prefer the 3x9 myself, meaning either the Giant or the Trek. If I'm going to have a front derailleur, I'd rather have the greater range of a triple compared with a double.

The Giant and Trek are near identical. The Giant is 89 dollars cheaper, and uses an Altus front derailleur vs. Trek's Acera (Acera is slightly better, but this is splitting hairs) and the Giant uses hydraulic Tektro vs. Trek's hydraulic Shimano. The Shimano is better (Giant fits their more expensive FastRoad models with Shimano brakes), but again, this is probably splitting hairs. Trek uses Bontrager tubeless-ready rims (if that's important to you); Giant doesn't say either way. Between the Giant and Trek, I'd consider it about a wash.

Price is generally the lowest concern of mine, though (when comparing multiple bikes in the same market class like these). Which bike fits the best? Which bike offers the color scheme that I like the best? Which one has grips and saddle that are comfortable to me? Which bike shop offers me the best customer service? All of these bikes are within 89 dollars of each other. That 89 dollars won't mean anything years down the road when you're still riding the best bike for you. If you buy a bike that ends up not being The One, it may cost you a lot more than the initial difference to what what you really want. Let your heart decide when you see them in person. If that means trying alternative bike shops or driving to one across town, then I would do that.

If the Giant is The One, then you've just saved 89 bucks that you can spend on accessories or something else. If you like the Trek better, but buy the Giant anyway, you'll spend the rest of your ownership with it wondering if you should have just come off the money in the first place.

Let your purchase be an emotional response. These are all nearly the same bike with nearly the same asking price. Walk in and when you see The One, buy it and enjoy it, regardless of which one it is!
hokiefyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 07:38 PM   #3
Waltsmith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Having test ridden both Recently, I will say, feature wise, they are a toss up. Giant does their own frames and carbon forks. Trek uses " shared resources" the actual frames are made in China, but by different people.

My impression. To me, the Trek felt smaller. In fact I asked the sales person twice if she was sure the Treck was a "large". The other difference I felt was The harshness of the ride. They both have carbon forks and alum frames. But on a fast pass down the sidewalks (that have a join about every 4' and often the next section is not on the exact same level. To me, the Trek felt more harsh. So "smaller" and more harsh, made the difference to me. Now I should mention that I'm not your typical bike rider. I'm 6' and 265. (Well used to be 265 I at 258 yesterday and today). But at any rate "boiler room" is very important to me.

Which is a very long way of saying, you have to take each for a rest ride! If you can find a section of sidewalk made fron equal blocks rather then poured concrete, test them back and forth over the sidewalk. I know it's a good chance you won't find them at the same dealer, but you should be able to find a similar surface.

So my vote is for the Giant, but that's for ME ridding it, not you. I'm sure you could care less, but after I decided on the Giant, I got a good bit of saddle time on a Cannondale Quick 4. I don't think there is any major difference in actual weight, but the 'Dale fit me the best, and felt the lightest. The down side is that I ended up getting the 'Dale from my Uncles favorite shop, which is an hour and a half drive in each direction.

Last edited by Waltsmith; 07-31-17 at 07:42 PM.
Waltsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 08:19 PM   #4
one4smoke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
In terms of the spec sheet, they're all truly about the same. They all use 9-speed Alivio drivetrains. The Trek and Giant are 3x9 and the Specialized is 2x9. Personally, I'd prefer the 3x9 myself, meaning either the Giant or the Trek. If I'm going to have a front derailleur, I'd rather have the greater range of a triple compared with a double.

The Giant and Trek are near identical. The Giant is 89 dollars cheaper, and uses an Altus front derailleur vs. Trek's Acera (Acera is slightly better, but this is splitting hairs) and the Giant uses hydraulic Tektro vs. Trek's hydraulic Shimano. The Shimano is better (Giant fits their more expensive FastRoad models with Shimano brakes), but again, this is probably splitting hairs. Trek uses Bontrager tubeless-ready rims (if that's important to you); Giant doesn't say either way. Between the Giant and Trek, I'd consider it about a wash.

Price is generally the lowest concern of mine, though (when comparing multiple bikes in the same market class like these). Which bike fits the best? Which bike offers the color scheme that I like the best? Which one has grips and saddle that are comfortable to me? Which bike shop offers me the best customer service? All of these bikes are within 89 dollars of each other. That 89 dollars won't mean anything years down the road when you're still riding the best bike for you. If you buy a bike that ends up not being The One, it may cost you a lot more than the initial difference to what what you really want. Let your heart decide when you see them in person. If that means trying alternative bike shops or driving to one across town, then I would do that.

If the Giant is The One, then you've just saved 89 bucks that you can spend on accessories or something else. If you like the Trek better, but buy the Giant anyway, you'll spend the rest of your ownership with it wondering if you should have just come off the money in the first place.

Let your purchase be an emotional response. These are all nearly the same bike with nearly the same asking price. Walk in and when you see The One, buy it and enjoy it, regardless of which one it is!
Hey guy, thanks for your input. Takes time to give a thoughtful response like that, and I appreciate you taking the time.

The LBS that carries the Specialized and Trek have great customer service. Might have something to do with me buying a $2000 Specialized Roubaix there though. Nevertheless, they will order you whatever you want without any down payment or any strings attached. They offered to order both the Specialized and Trek in my size (XL) for me to try both out. Doesn't matter if I buy one or not. The other shops around here won't even consider such a thing.

I'm partial to Giant and Specialized since I own one of each. But honestly, the Sirrus is my least favorite of the 3. I like the Escape and FX3 fairly equally, with a slight nod to the Trek. The Giant does have internal cables which I like. Although the paint schemes are similar, and I favor the colors, the Trek is a tad less flashy, which I like.

I could go either way on those two, depending on whatever day it is.
one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 06:15 AM   #5
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: 8
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
I could go either way on those two, depending on whatever day it is.
Cool. In that case, I would take the Trek for a test ride, since the Trek shop will order it for you. If you love it, buy it. If you don't, I would try to look hard for a Giant dealer who has an Escape in your size. Really, any 2018 Escape would do (it doesn't have to be the disc model). Just try it for size. The brakes won't (or shouldn't) make any difference to how the bike feels and fits. If you love it, buy it if it's the disc model that you want, or have them order the disc model in that same frame size. You'll then be confident that the bike they ordered will fit you just right.
hokiefyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 07:17 AM   #6
andrei_r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada/ Brasilia, Brazil (currently)
Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
One more plus for the Trek is the front thru axle. Nowadays, it should be a must when a bike features disc brakes. I'm surprised so many bikes still have discs and cheap quick release skewers.
andrei_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 06:09 AM   #7
one4smoke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei_r View Post
One more plus for the Trek is the front thru axle. Nowadays, it should be a must when a bike features disc brakes. I'm surprised so many bikes still have discs and cheap quick release skewers.
Can you elaborate a bit more on that?
one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 07:04 AM   #8
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: 8
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
I think it's two-fold:

(1) A disc brake is usually very sensitive to pad/rotor alignment, and QR skewers are not, and don't guarantee that the wheel is "seated" in the dropouts exactly the same each time. This can cause mis-alignment with the disc brake.

(2) Disc brakes impart an incredible forward and downward force on the hub, trying to eject the wheel out of the dropouts. Reportedly, it can loosen even a properly-installed QR skewer. A through-axle is much stronger, and immune to this. It also mitigates problem #1 because the wheel is installed exactly the same way, every time.

There was a massive recall of QR skewers with front disc brakes a year or two back, but this was only indirectly related to retention. Some QR skewers, when worked open by the torque of the disc brake, could be "over rotated" such that the lever would stick into the disc rotor area and catch on the rotor as it turned. More on all of that here:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/qr-disk-brake.html

Last edited by hokiefyd; 08-02-17 at 07:10 AM.
hokiefyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 09:37 AM   #9
andrei_r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada/ Brasilia, Brazil (currently)
Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
I think it's two-fold:

(1) A disc brake is usually very sensitive to pad/rotor alignment, and QR skewers are not, and don't guarantee that the wheel is "seated" in the dropouts exactly the same each time. This can cause mis-alignment with the disc brake.

(2) Disc brakes impart an incredible forward and downward force on the hub, trying to eject the wheel out of the dropouts. Reportedly, it can loosen even a properly-installed QR skewer. A through-axle is much stronger, and immune to this. It also mitigates problem #1 because the wheel is installed exactly the same way, every time.

There was a massive recall of QR skewers with front disc brakes a year or two back, but this was only indirectly related to retention. Some QR skewers, when worked open by the torque of the disc brake, could be "over rotated" such that the lever would stick into the disc rotor area and catch on the rotor as it turned. More on all of that here:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/qr-disk-brake.html
^^ What he said .

Thanks @hokiefyd, I'm not nearly as well articulated as you are.

Here's a link to a good article on the matter: https://cyclingtips.com/2015/10/road...axels-but-why/
andrei_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 11:41 AM   #10
Scooty Puff Jr
Senior Member
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
I was seriously looking at the 2018 Trek FX3, to replace my +1 Fuji Crosstown, and I wasn't overly impressed, it rode fine, but I thought the cable routing looked sloppy, and I've never been a fan of riveted cranksets. Internal cable routing just looks so much cleaner, and though its not a deal breaker for me, it just seems that by now all new $700 range bikes should have it. Just my 2
Scooty Puff Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 11:56 AM   #11
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: 8
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei_r View Post
Here's a link to a good article on the matter: https://cyclingtips.com/2015/10/road...axels-but-why/
GREAT article. Thank you for posting it!
hokiefyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 05:39 AM   #12
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: 8
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Related to that article, I saw my first bike with a RIGHT SIDE disc brake on the fork, and it was mounted to the FRONT of the fork blade Family was at Target last night, so I was, of course, hanging out with the bikes. There was a Schwinn model similar to an FX or an Escape that had this style of fork that I'd never seen before. I remember from the article linked above:

Quote:
Interestingly, Annan’s simplest remedy — re-positioning the brake caliper in front of the fork leg—was ignored by the industry, however some fork manufacturers have re-oriented the dropouts to reduce Annan’s risk (Figure 4).
More on that here

Good on Schwinn, maybe. It'll be interesting to see if this gains traction, so to speak.
hokiefyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 08:01 AM   #13
1911bg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Fork was probably assembled backwards.
1911bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 09:56 AM   #14
Scooty Puff Jr
Senior Member
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911bg View Post
Fork was probably assembled backwards.
Possible, but I'm going to give hokiefyd the benefit of doubt, he is pretty well schooled on bicycles and I'm sure he could tell if the fork was on backwards.
Scooty Puff Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 11:33 AM   #15
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: 8
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr View Post
Possible, but I'm going to give hokiefyd the benefit of doubt, he is pretty well schooled on bicycles and I'm sure he could tell if the fork was on backwards.
Don't bet on it -- this was just a passing observation, and it was in a long line of bikes on a Target bike rack, so it was all a blur! I DID notice that I like the feel of the Shimano SL-EF500 shifters -- they have a really smooth action for being inexpensive shifters. Much better than my SL-EF51s.

Now I need to go back to that store and check it out. Indeed, I cannot find any other examples of right-mounted brake calipers on the internet. And it was on the front of the fork blade, so that would correlate with the fork being reversed. I'll admit to not having looked at the fork crown to be sure of the orientation.
hokiefyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 01:57 PM   #16
andrei_r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada/ Brasilia, Brazil (currently)
Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
This is hilarious....
andrei_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 06:45 PM   #17
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: 8
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911bg View Post
Fork was probably assembled backwards.
We were at Target again tonight, and indeed, the fork on this particular bike was assembled backwards! I'm quite embarrassed to not have picked up on it -- all the clues were there. Cable housing wrapped around the rear of the fork crown. Directional tire tread pattern on bike backwards. QR on right side (same as caliper). None of this is necessarily out of the ordinary for big box bikes (stuff assembled wrong), but I should have picked up on it when seeing it all in aggregate.
hokiefyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION