Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is there sufficient demand to create a hybrid forum?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 83.19%
  • No

    20 16.81%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 168
  1. #1
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hybrid specific forum: If you've already posted, do come back and vote the poll

    I want to suggest a Hybrid specific forum. Hybrids seem to have a following all there own & have a bit of an alternative lifestyle as far as bicycles are concerned. Because of the unique features of a Hybrid and it ability to morph into many different cultures of biking I believe it warrants a sub forum of its own. The Hybrid has become very popular in many different areas of the bicycle community because it had no specific category and can be customized to what ever the needs of its owner. I think it would be constructive for people that are fans of the Hybrid to have a place where we can share ideas as an alternative bike culture. We purchasing these bikes because of what they are an not because what others think we want.
    Last edited by Timber_8; 08-02-09 at 07:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    I want to suggest a Hybrid specific forum. Hybrids seem to have a following all there own & have a bit of an alternative lifestyle as far as bicycles are concerned.
    Already discussed several times

    http://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=6384200

    and I think there are others.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
    Already discussed several times

    http://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=6384200

    and I think there are others.
    I am sure that it has but this is the proper place to suggest such an option and I see no suggestion here. Hybrid riders can take a bit of a beating by there haters and I have no idea what that is about.

  4. #4
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,467
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree!

    Hybrids are wonderful bikes for those of us who want them. (They are really good do it all bikes, and make great utility bikes.)

    You are correct that many hate us for liking them - and it's their loss. I still don't understand the negativism displayed toward those of us who happen to really like them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member KungPaoSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ms/Ca, USA,Earth.
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes,lets get 2gether and have a Hybrid sub forum,,,we really can use one.
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

  6. #6
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There does seem to be a subforum for just about everything else except hybrids, it would be nice to not be hasseled by those who seem to not understand that the perceived shortfalls of a hybrid are the advantages that we are looking for in a do it all single bike.

    I've had my trek 750 since '95 and I got it because I could customize it the way I wanted at a lower cost. It has since evolved through many stages of road/mtb/tour/cx configurations.

    Hey is that where 29'ers came from?
    "change is the only constant"

  7. #7
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,012
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hybrid= Crossover of features of many styles and types of bikes. Most of the Hybrid stuff is discussed in Family and Recreational or Commuting or Utility. We don't want to fragment the forums too much, though.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  8. #8
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur. A hybrid-specific forum will save us all from the pestiferous "roadies" who firmly believe our hybrids suck - and we all really want a road-bike. This is not a rare instance - this is a continuous barrage. And I, for one, am sick & tired of defending our beliefs from assaults by carboniferous twerps who dress-up to resemble insects.

    Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe the a Hybrid forum would be fragmenting other forums. I personally am a commuter and will always use that forum for what I require out of it. However as you mentioned the Hybrid transcends a multitude of forums on the board. This in itself signifies that the Hybrid has achieved a level of popularity that consideration of a sub forum of its own is in order. I have seen a great deal of ideas displayed on Hybrids that members and lurkers from all interests can relate too. Lets face it the hybrid is the only cross dresser in the bicycle world. You can take options from any other area and apply it to a hybrid and make something different. If you can plant the seed of thought into a group and people view it and say to them selves ("Dam I never thought of that, what a great Idea") It is in the sharing of ideas that make the Hybrid such a unique bicycle & ultimately is the reason for its popularity. These are just some of the reasons that the Hybrid should be brought into the mainstream and given the respect it deserves.
    Last edited by Timber_8; 08-02-09 at 01:12 PM.
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  10. #10
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here, here.

    By following the logic above, there should be no bike specific subforums etc because no one bike is used for only ever one application.

    I personally have 2 fixies (both conversions and one is a touring frame), a carbon and alum race bike, a mtb and a hybrid, all of which I can use for family n recreation and commuting. 2 of which I can used for touring, 2 could be racers and 3 are capable of offroading.

    These different applications of different bikes has me fragmented all over the forums to begin with, and as it has already been stated, the versatilty of the hybrid warrants a subforum of its own.
    "change is the only constant"

  11. #11
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droobieinop View Post
    There does seem to be a subforum for just about everything else except hybrids,
    Bingo, you hit on the problem. IMHO, there are way too many forums already. I see no reason why hybrids need their own forum. I have both a hybrid and a road bike and I am perfectly happy to post on both in General Cycling.

    If you don't want to read the snobbery of the Road Bike Forum, then real simple, don't post there. I doubt you would get the same treatment in General Cycling.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree that there are to many sub categories, that just shows the diversity of the cycling community. The Hybrid has developed into a subculture all its own. For some they are content with 1 or 2 forums to hang around in & that is wonderful, however that is not the reality for others. The Hybrid is what I own, commuting is my sport but it is the Hybrid itself that is my culture in the bicycle world.They are very different! They Hybrid culture overflows into many areas over the board but has no place of its own. The hybrid haters are in every forum and I will never understand what that is all about but what ever. I believe a hybrid sub forum will not only give the culture credibility but create an atmosphere for the culture to grow & flourish.
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  13. #13
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As is, the forums are plenty fragmented.

    Let's think about this.

    Mountain bikes have their own forum. They're frequently used on trails and what not, and much of the discussion is suited around that.

    Road biking has its own forum. They race, and they talk about that.

    BMX, well, BMX duh.

    A hybrid can be used for various reasons. If you're going to put it on some trails, discuss in the MTB forum. Going to race? Discuss in the road biking forums. Going to commute? Commuting forum. Get the idea? Something broke on your hybrid? There's a mechanics forum.

    I can't quite understand what the discussion would revolve around in a hybrid specific forum.

    P.S. I'm no hybrid "hater". My bike is a hybrid.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata Six Ten | 1970 Hercules Three-Two-Speed
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

  14. #14
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the thought here is that there are different areas for the different types of bikes except for the hybrids.

    If you do a forum search with hybrids in the topic you will get threads across the forums, which makes it difficult find and follow threads pertaining to hybrids.

    As stated, other forums exist for other types of bikes and some of us feel that consolidating threads about hybrids would be a good fit to this site.
    "change is the only constant"

  15. #15
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason there is multiple forums is because the bicycle community is very diverse. To be honest the board is very organized. Hybrids are are a large and growing category. I find myself sifting through a lot of categories I have no interest in to find what I am looking for.
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  16. #16
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking about town today as I was mowing down carbon-heads on my vintage PUCH, I took a head-count of hybrids. Fully half the bikes in Burlington (a very progressive city) are hybrids. Should I tell their owners they are but a minor consideration in the grand scheme of things?
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hybrids are a huge segment of the Bicycle population.
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  18. #18
    Senior Member rankin116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Troylet
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    Hybrids are a huge segment of the Bicycle population.
    What do you do with your hybrid?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
    What do you do with your hybrid?
    Commute, Pleasure ride, put money into it
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  20. #20
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    Commute, Pleasure ride, put money into it
    Commute: http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/
    Pleasure Ride: http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-family/

    Put money into it, well that can go just about anywhere.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata Six Ten | 1970 Hercules Three-Two-Speed
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

  21. #21
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there are multiple forums to to post areas of interest, that is not the point. I mostly post in the commuter forum on the subject of commuting and will always use the forum for that purpose. It has to do with posting all over different forums to cover individual subjects to Hybrid issues and then try to remember where you posted. There are certain forums I will just never use because I have no interest in the forum topic.
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  22. #22
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems the "Go away an' buy a road-bike" crew is dictating policy. Boy does this boil my skin!! What is so bloody difficult not to see that a hybrid is a worthy genre of the species 'bicycle?' I'll bet if we said we wanted a Unicycle Forum - we'd have that in a day. But there is some weird phobia saying our hybrids aren't worthy of recognition.

    Even though fully 1/2 of cyclists where I live ride them.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  23. #23
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I have a unicycle and want to learn how to ride it.

    Is there a unicycle forum for me to get into?

    But really, what's up with the anti-hybrid sentiments?
    "change is the only constant"

  24. #24
    Senior Member rankin116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Troylet
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, there is a huge difference between a unicycle and a hybrid, so that's an analogy fail.

    Hybrids by definition are good at multiple things, right? So if you want to discuss those things, go to the forums that are meant for those activities.

    Is there a kind of riding called 'hybriding' that I don't know about? Want to talk about riding on the road? Go into road cycling. It's pretty simple.

    I can't think of anything that would be discussed in a hybrid specific forum that wouldn't be discussed in any of the other forums already on this site.

  25. #25
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if I have a road bike, should I go to the General Cycling Forum? I'm thinking of mounting James Bond buzzing-sawblades from my Hybrid and go hunting carbon...

    So let's see here...If we want a thread to discuss the history and evolution of the Hybrid to todays version, and the commonalities of these, we can go to: Utility Cycling? Or a thread on the best saddles for the fast pace and upright position of the hybrid - post this one in: Single-speed & Fixed Gears? Or the best racks for around town on your Hybrid - it's off to: Living Car Free?

    And we meet another Hybrid owner who doesn't know about this site, but wants to learn about his Hybrid, we should send him to: A Mental Hospital as he'd be schizophrenic from being bounced all over the frickin' map???

    Why are you so against us Hybrid Folks from having the same thing you enjoy in terms of a forum dedicated to your Ride Of Choice (ROC)?? Explain yourself.
    Last edited by Panthers007; 08-05-09 at 10:34 PM.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •