Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 220 of 227 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 5669
  1. #5476
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    My Bikes
    Surly Ogre, Transit Rock Creek
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
    I think 38mm is the largest size they recommend for your fenders.

    Do you have a view on how well your fenders would likely work on say a 40mm wide tyre?
    So I measured the fender with a caliper. The overall outside width is 45.72mm. The edge lip is 1.9mm thick meaning the the inner width of the fender is about 41.91mm. If you tire truly measures 40mm wide at its widest you should be fine. What tire are you running?

  2. #5477
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a little "Bling" today...Anodized KCNC chain-ring bolts.
    So this is my "Hybrid" as of now...
    Bolts: ( whoops didn't wipe the grease off)




    Daytime:

    Night time:


    Last edited by giantcfr1; 04-10-14 at 03:07 AM.
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er

  3. #5478
    Senior Member ColonelSanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 830 + New Hybrid arriving in late 2014
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhog View Post
    So I measured the fender with a caliper. The overall outside width is 45.72mm. The edge lip is 1.9mm thick meaning the the inner width of the fender is about 41.91mm. If you tire truly measures 40mm wide at its widest you should be fine. What tire are you running?
    I'm not running an tyre at the moment, as I am planning my great Hybrid Purchase in the later half of this year.

    I'm likely to start off with a 38mm sized tyre, but want the option to explore larger sizes to see if they work better for me.

    Having said that, with the information you have provided, I could probably quite easily live with 40mm tyres and then be able to run that beautiful fender.
    You can have my Disc Brakes, when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

  4. #5479
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Alamitos, Calif.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My Trek 7.4fx

    Trek 7.4.jpg

    I just flipped the stem today and I can't believe how much more comfortable the ride is. Next swap-out will be the red pedals for either a set of Shimano Saints or Crank Bros 5050 //2. Once I wear out the stock 32mm tires I will be moving to a 28mm width. Other than that... maybe a little bling here and there but nothing major. The bike rides great, why change what works?

  5. #5480
    Senior Member ColonelSanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 830 + New Hybrid arriving in late 2014
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
    Trek 7.4.jpg

    I just flipped the stem today and I can't believe how much more comfortable the ride is.
    Could you please expand on the difference between the new and old stem.

    Is it just a matter of different lengths, or is the angle dramatically different between the two of them?
    You can have my Disc Brakes, when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

  6. #5481
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
    Could you please expand on the difference between the new and old stem.

    Is it just a matter of different lengths, or is the angle dramatically different between the two of them?
    Flipping the stem means exactly that. He flipped it over. Many stems are designed that way ...two angles and ever so slight difference in length.
    Notice his stem is close enough to level, whereas before it would have been angled up a little , maybe 10 deg (?)
    You can also often change the height by moving spacers. If you buy a hybrid with the old style quill type stem, you pretty well have to buy a new stem.
    Last edited by giantcfr1; 04-12-14 at 02:02 AM.
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er

  7. #5482
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Alamitos, Calif.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ what giantcfr1 said ^^

    In this case flipping the stem (very easy and you only need a hex key) moved me a little lower (up front) and just slightly more forward. This shifted my balance on the bike enough to make a huge difference in my riding comfort. Actually more of a difference than I was expecting. It also changed my position on my saddle. I was having some problems with my saddle and wasn't sure if I was going to have to swap saddles or possibly buy a new seatpost that was micro adjustable. This simple adjustment (and I might add is reversible if you don't like it) really helped. I feel much more balanced on the bike.

    I have about 20mm of shims that I can remove in case I want to experiment with going lower.

  8. #5483
    Senior Member ColonelSanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 830 + New Hybrid arriving in late 2014
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
    Flipping the stem means exactly that. He flipped it over. Many stems are designed that way ...two angles and ever so slight difference in length.
    Notice his stem is close enough to level, whereas before it would have been angled up a little , maybe 10 deg (?)
    You can also often change the height by moving spacers. If you buy a hybrid with the old style quill type stem, you pretty well have to buy a new stem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
    ^^ what giantcfr1 said ^^

    In this case flipping the stem (very easy and you only need a hex key) moved me a little lower (up front) and just slightly more forward. This shifted my balance on the bike enough to make a huge difference in my riding comfort. Actually more of a difference than I was expecting. It also changed my position on my saddle. I was having some problems with my saddle and wasn't sure if I was going to have to swap saddles or possibly buy a new seatpost that was micro adjustable. This simple adjustment (and I might add is reversible if you don't like it) really helped. I feel much more balanced on the bike.

    I have about 20mm of shims that I can remove in case I want to experiment with going lower.

    Ahhhh okay. Thanks for the feedback.

    I've considered the possibility that one might change a stem, but never thought before about flipping one over. That certainly could make a big difference.
    You can have my Disc Brakes, when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

  9. #5484
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    My Bikes
    2009 Felt QX75
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
    I love it. Makes me happy to see members' bikes evolving.

    My hybrid's next 'evolution' will be drop bar conversion. Still contemplating though.

  10. #5485
    Senior Member cbr9927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my in city Hybrid for riding around Downtown and very crowded areas. Its is sooooo much fun in that environment.




    Last edited by cbr9927; 04-14-14 at 10:47 AM.
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

  11. #5486
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    My Bikes
    2009 Felt QX75
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr9927 View Post
    Here is my in city Hybrid for riding around Downtown and very crowded areas. Its is sooooo much fun in that environment.





    Wow.. What an interesting bike!! I have never seen them in person. As a matter of fact, there are many other bikes that I have never seen in person anyway ^^", but surely this is one of the most unique. Anyway, how much does it weigh? Top speed? Thanks for sharing.

  12. #5487
    Senior Member cbr9927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It weighs about 25 pds and I don't know the top speed since I don't have a bike computer on it.
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

  13. #5488
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Defy 1, 1996 Trek 730
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  14. #5489
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry for the bad quality pic... here's my expert carbon upside down hanging in the garage and daughter's trailer underneath.
    expert carbon.jpg

  15. #5490
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sirrus comp disc 2014.jpg

    Sirrus comp disc 2014 just got it haven't had time to ride it much though.
    Last edited by evan998; 04-17-14 at 07:08 AM. Reason: none

  16. #5491
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 99 Silk Path 06 Touring
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1999 Cannondale Silk Path - before purchase and as it sits now. Yes, I know I need to clean that garage door.





    SP1000_before_purchase_600x450.jpgDirtRoadSP1000.jpg
    Last edited by Dirt Road; 04-28-14 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Improve images

  17. #5492
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    My Bikes
    2014 Sirrus Comp Carbon, 2013 Fatboy, 1993 RockHopper
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new commuter bike is a 2014 Sirrus Comp Carbon. I've had it for about a month and I'm really enjoying it. I have to carry my bike up a couple of flights of stairs at both ends of my commute and it's so much easier to do than with my old 93 Giant Rincon-based commuter.

    DSC_2185.jpg

  18. #5493
    Newbie santeetraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Santee, CA
    My Bikes
    1998(?) Trek 730 Multitrack, Gravity FSX 27.5
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up this beauty on craigslist for $80. I think it's a 1998(?) Trek 730 Multitrack, I had to replace seatpost ( the one on did not fit, too small), seat, and seatpost skewer. After the first ride, I replaced the bottom bracket, crankset, chain, and rear tire, I also put on a rear rack. I am in love with this bike, ride's really smooth, fast, nimble.






    before:





    After:

  19. #5494
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first bike in almost two decades. Starting to think about what are the most haves for accessories. My immediate thoughts are lights, a top tube bag, bottle.holder, patch kit and pump etc.


  20. #5495
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    Lotus Competition, Lotus Unique, Trek 790, Schwinn Racer
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trek 790 Multitrack

    This is my Trek 790 Multitrack. I wanted to maintain the character of the bike, so chose to make small changes based on function. The bike was purchased via craigslist from a seller in Milwaukee, WI. There are some small details that make believe this bike was an early production model. The published stats for this model (1990) list Shimano Deore DX hubs. This bike has Shimano 600 hubs (7s). Also, this bike does not have rack mounts on the fork-every other 790 I've seen pictured has these mounts. Maybe someone knows more about these variations.

    I live Chicago, which is essentially flat, so I lowered the gearing to match the topography. I took cues from the 600 hubs and changed out the Deore DX rear derailleur with a short cage 600EX derailleur. For now, I'm keeping the Deore front derailleur, but may find 600EX for the front too. I ditched the third chainring and replaced the original cassette with a lower geared (13-23) Hyperglide cassette. A new Hyperglide chain makes the drivetrain function perfectly. New Soma tires (32mm), cork grips and a pair of Deore pedals to replace the original SR pedals. Oh yeah, new brake pads and lots of fresh grease.

    When I purchased the bike, it wouldn't shift onto the large chainring, the brakes barely functioned, and it was covered with a layer of grime. Now, it functions perfectly, it rides smooth and swift, and manages big city potholes. No regrets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #5496
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is beautiful mate
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er

  22. #5497
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
    My first bike in almost two decades. Starting to think about what are the most haves for accessories. My immediate thoughts are lights, a top tube bag, bottle.holder, patch kit and pump etc.
    Bar ends are a must have. I use them far more than holding on the grips. Enjoy, I only have 140 miles so far on my Escape and love it.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  23. #5498
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    Bar ends are a must have. I use them far more than holding on the grips. Enjoy, I only have 140 miles so far on my Escape and love it.
    Thanks for the ideas. I took care of some of the obvious stuff today. Patch kit and pump. Bottle and holder. Some blackburn design flea usb rechargable lights for front and back. I want to find a top tube bag but see most in the liter range. That seems like a lot of bag for just my daily carry items.

  24. #5499
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I took care of some of the obvious stuff today. Patch kit and pump. Bottle and holder. Some blackburn design flea usb rechargable lights for front and back. I want to find a top tube bag but see most in the liter range. That seems like a lot of bag for just my daily carry items.
    Top tube bag, I didn't think of that. My birthday is next week and my wife has told everyone, Amazon gift cards. I still have everything but a bottle cage and bar ends to buy. I need a way to easily carry my camera, which isn't pocket size, but not as bit as a dSLR, and perhaps a top tube bag would be a great way to carry it along with my phone and wallet. I just looked and it looks like there are top tube bags that have a cell holder on top to keep it visible. It may be nice to go this route since I use my phone to track my rides.

    An under the saddle mount bag would probably be the best way to carry the on-ride repair stuff. I have a whole list of stuff in my Amazon wishlist waiting for my birthday.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  25. #5500
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    Top tube bag, I didn't think of that. My birthday is next week and my wife has told everyone, Amazon gift cards. I still have everything but a bottle cage and bar ends to buy. I need a way to easily carry my camera, which isn't pocket size, but not as bit as a dSLR, and perhaps a top tube bag would be a great way to carry it along with my phone and wallet. I just looked and it looks like there are top tube bags that have a cell holder on top to keep it visible. It may be nice to go this route since I use my phone to track my rides.

    An under the saddle mount bag would probably be the best way to carry the on-ride repair stuff. I have a whole list of stuff in my Amazon wishlist waiting for my birthday.
    Picked up two of the timbuk2 goody bags today for my and the gfs bikes. They look like they are going to work very well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •