Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-14, 08:08 PM   #5601
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My first post in the Hybrid Forum. I've been on BF since 2007, but on the C&V Forum, as that's the era of my obsession. But I like and enjoy bikes of all kinds. Just a matter of affording them.

Recently, I serendipitously came upon a relatively modern Specialized hybrid for a good price.
I had no idea what model it was until it was delivered. A 2010 Sirrus Sport.
I love my C&V, but I had to bow down to modernity with this all-rounder.
I had a wonderful riding 94 Schwinn Crosscut drop bar conversion. I would've been happy to own and ride that one till I dropped. But it was stolen.

And appropriate, since I had a 1989 Sirrus road bike that was one of my casualties of my old collection (stolen too). Funny how karma works out.

Some great rigs on this forum! I plan to do a big bike tour on my Sirrus. Looking forward to picking up advice on these modern rides.

Before:


Specializing my Specialized par WNG555, sur Flickr

After, converted to a drop bar. My tourer/gravel grinder/randonneuse/CX bike...


Specializing My Specialized par WNG555, sur Flickr

I will add a rack after test riding and set it up as a tourer.

Last edited by WNG; 07-02-14 at 10:13 AM.
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 09:21 PM   #5602
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)
Posts: 6,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Any fit problems now that you're having to reach farther to the hoods vs. the flat bars before?
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 11:39 PM   #5603
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Any fit problems now that you're having to reach farther to the hoods vs. the flat bars before?
I compensated by switching out the stock Specialized stem. I installed a shorter one and the reach is now similar to my road bikes.
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 11:41 PM   #5604
SpinThrift
Senior Member
 
SpinThrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I show off my hybrid too? It's a 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc that I've only had for a few months. I'm recovering from a nasty little heart attack so my riding is somewhat limited for now. This picture was taken today and I managed 20 miles!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0005.jpg (99.7 KB, 160 views)
SpinThrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 07:24 AM   #5605
rise000
litrenka
 
rise000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Europe, Croatia
Bikes: Kona Dew Plus
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After 4 years and 3 different Seek models it was time to move on something more off road oriented...
I swap the Seek frame for Talon and move the components...for now it's still rolling on rigid fork. I quess it's bye-bye hiybrid forum and hello MTB



rise000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 10:00 AM   #5606
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNG View Post
After, converted to a drop bar. My tourer/gravel grinder/randonneuse/CX bike...


Specializing My Specialized par WNG555, sur Flickr

I will add a rack after test riding and set it up as a tourer.
Such a classic, beautiful and simplified paint scheme, something so many bikes lack and suffer from today.
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 10:27 AM   #5607
SLazz
Senior Member
 
SLazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So Cal
Bikes: Diamondback Trace
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rise000 View Post
After 4 years and 3 different Seek models it was time to move on something more off road oriented...
I swap the Seek frame for Talon and move the components...for now it's still rolling on rigid fork. I quess it's bye-bye hiybrid forum and hello MTB




Just curious....why go to all that trouble changing out components when you can just buy a new Talon? That way you can have two bikes: the Seek w/ street tires for around town and the Talon for the dirt.
SLazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 08:29 PM   #5608
simplybao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
'14 Escape 1 with a few upgrades.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC81C29B-DFD6-409C-A83E-DF8840AF2545_zpsxqtqsc0h.jpg (90.4 KB, 94 views)
simplybao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 11:09 PM   #5609
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Such a classic, beautiful and simplified paint scheme, something so many bikes lack and suffer from today.
Can't agree with you more. I'm overjoyed that it doesn't have 'Specialized' or their 'S' plastered all over every square-inch!
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 02:52 AM   #5610
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rise000 View Post
After 4 years and 3 different Seek models it was time to move on something more off road oriented...
I swap the Seek frame for Talon and move the components...for now it's still rolling on rigid fork. I quess it's bye-bye hiybrid forum and hello MTB :

Looks hot...good choice
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 03:05 AM   #5611
rise000
litrenka
 
rise000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Europe, Croatia
Bikes: Kona Dew Plus
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLazz View Post
Just curious....why go to all that trouble changing out components when you can just buy a new Talon? That way you can have two bikes: the Seek w/ street tires for around town and the Talon for the dirt.
dont need/want two bikes i do have spare set of slick tires if needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
Looks hot...good choice
thanks! fork will be painted/replaced with white one ofcourse
rise000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 12:25 PM   #5612
beachcire
Junior Member
 
beachcire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Tampa
Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.2 FX
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my wife's 2015 Trek 7.3 FX. It's hard to tell but the color is a very metallic (sparkly according to her) black. She really likes the purple accent color as well.


This is my Trek 7.2. I changed out the stock saddle for a Serfas MH-RX Performance RX saddle, which is definitely worth it in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WifeTrek7.3.jpg (103.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg MyTrek7.2.jpg (104.1 KB, 115 views)
beachcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 04:23 PM   #5613
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcire View Post
This is my wife's 2015 Trek 7.3 FX. It's hard to tell but the color is a very metallic (sparkly according to her) black. She really likes the purple accent color as well...
I know what she means...my Black Cannondale also has coloured metal flake.
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 10:38 AM   #5614
Ralar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I picked up my new bike yesterday: Trek 7.2 FX WSD. I'm only 5'2" so a women's specific bike was important to me. I haven't ridden in a long, long time. My last bike was a Schwinn single speed with coaster brakes, a banana seat, and streamers on the handle bars.



It is hard to tell from the picture, but the purple is very sparkly

The fitter who I worked with when I ordered the bike was not working yesterday and the kid who was helping me was not very good, so I'll take the bike back for some minor adjustments next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.6 KB, 60 views)
Ralar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 02:15 PM   #5615
camjr
Senior Member
 
camjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralar View Post
I picked up my new bike yesterday: Trek 7.2 FX WSD. I'm only 5'2" so a women's specific bike was important to me. I haven't ridden in a long, long time. My last bike was a Schwinn single speed with coaster brakes, a banana seat, and streamers on the handle bars.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but the purple is very sparkly

The fitter who I worked with when I ordered the bike was not working yesterday and the kid who was helping me was not very good, so I'll take the bike back for some minor adjustments next week.
Nice looking bike. Ride the heck out of it!
camjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 03:03 PM   #5616
RaikageZero
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinThrift View Post
Can I show off my hybrid too? It's a 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc that I've only had for a few months. I'm recovering from a nasty little heart attack so my riding is somewhat limited for now. This picture was taken today and I managed 20 miles!
That's great amount of distance for someone who is just recovering from a heart attack. The bike looks like it's weighed down a lot with all of that gear on it though. If you could lighten it up, you could go farther or cover 20 miles with much less effort. If you ask me, you'd only need that much gear if you're trekking really far distances with no plan of coming home the same day.

Or are the stuff inside for your medical emergencies?
RaikageZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 08:05 PM   #5617
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinThrift View Post
Can I show off my hybrid too? It's a 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc that I've only had for a few months. I'm recovering from a nasty little heart attack so my riding is somewhat limited for now. This picture was taken today and I managed 20 miles!
What brand of fender do you have on your bike?
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:21 PM   #5618
SpinThrift
Senior Member
 
SpinThrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaikageZero View Post
That's great amount of distance for someone who is just recovering from a heart attack. The bike looks like it's weighed down a lot with all of that gear on it though. If you could lighten it up, you could go farther or cover 20 miles with much less effort. If you ask me, you'd only need that much gear if you're trekking really far distances with no plan of coming home the same day.

Or are the stuff inside for your medical emergencies?
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The handlebar bag and rear rack bag carry tools, rain gear and a cell phone in case I have to call 911 again. It's all new to me so I'm experimenting with gear and bags.

At this point I'm overjoyed to be able to ride a single mile. My heart attack left me in the ICU for 10 days followed by another 12 days in a regular recovery room. It was assumed by all that I would go home in a box. It was a 5 hour ordeal from the onset of symptoms to the emergency room. I live on an island and the only hospital that could give me a chance is on the mainland. It was a harrowing ride in the ambulance which included a ride on a ferry on which I was the sole passenger - they held up all traffic waiting to load just to get me to the hospital.

For now, I'm just trying to get thru my days.
SpinThrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:28 PM   #5619
SpinThrift
Senior Member
 
SpinThrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
What brand of fender do you have on your bike?
The fenders are by Planet Bike. I had them installed at the bike shop when I bought the bike (Half Link bike shop on Whidbey Island, WA). They fit really nicely and the tires are 35mm so it's a close fit.

BTW - I also like my disc brakes. Awesome stopping ability with great feedback thru the brake levers.
SpinThrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-14, 06:50 AM   #5620
RaikageZero
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinThrift View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The handlebar bag and rear rack bag carry tools, rain gear and a cell phone in case I have to call 911 again. It's all new to me so I'm experimenting with gear and bags.

At this point I'm overjoyed to be able to ride a single mile. My heart attack left me in the ICU for 10 days followed by another 12 days in a regular recovery room. It was assumed by all that I would go home in a box. It was a 5 hour ordeal from the onset of symptoms to the emergency room. I live on an island and the only hospital that could give me a chance is on the mainland. It was a harrowing ride in the ambulance which included a ride on a ferry on which I was the sole passenger - they held up all traffic waiting to load just to get me to the hospital.

For now, I'm just trying to get thru my days.
Glad to hear that you're recovering and that your heart is keeping up with ya . That's a pretty interesting ambulance ride though. The only remarkable things that happened in my ambulance ride were that a) The paramedics told me they were gonna give me a shot, they noticed that I turned pale instantly, and b) They thought I had an unusually low heartbeat rate considering I just got into an accident... they asked if I do an endurance sport and biking explained why I had low heartbeat rate.

In my case, I had a car accident. My mustang flipped upside down and the passenger side was smashed flat. I got lucky I had headspace, but 2 of my spinal discs were diagnosed to be herniated. I was only able to bike 6 miles the 2nd month after my accident during winter before my back started aching. Eventually, I built up to 27 miles going around from NJ to NYC.

And oh, you wouldn't know how much easier it is to ride long distances with lighter weight until you try it. Try to get a smaller multi-tool, drop the rain gear if the forecast doesn't say that it's not gonna rain and keep the cellphone.
RaikageZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 11:43 AM   #5621
Anthony.L
New to Cycling
 
Anthony.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Federal Way, WA
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Comp Carbon
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2014 Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disk



Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 12:53 PM   #5622
camjr
Senior Member
 
camjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
2014 Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disk



VERY sweet ride, Anthony.L!
camjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 09:44 PM   #5623
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
2014 Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disk

That is an exceptional photo, it really highlights how attractive a bike, that model is.

I don't think I have ever seen it looking so good.
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 10:55 PM   #5624
Anthony.L
New to Cycling
 
Anthony.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Federal Way, WA
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Comp Carbon
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys for the compliments. I picked the Sirrus Comp Carbon because it met my list of "wants". However I must admit I also fell in love with the looks. The bike also gets lots of compliments while out riding.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 05:43 AM   #5625
Jaeger99
Senior Member
 
Jaeger99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love that Sirrus.

A few upgrades and I have this thing right where I want it:

Jaeger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.