Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-10, 09:34 AM   #676
USAF1C1X1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hampton, VA
Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.5FX, 2010 Trek 7.3FX, Nashbar Cyclocross
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive View Post
I think what he was trying to say, ( Politely ), was I lost his draft last half mile back...LOL...to comment on the short and long rides. I
I always go at least 3 1/ 2 round trip, because that is how far the post office is, Laugh, 6 to around 15 miles on working days, and
as far as I can on others, but I do try and have a destination on the long ones, It gives me more insinuate, but have gone on some long ones to no where...Richard
Most of my rides here in South Korea are to nowhere because, well, I can't read the road signs. I have to take pictures of landmarks along my route so I can find my way back. On an unrelated note, my flat bar came in the mail today. It's an Easton EA50 and I got it for super cheap. I can't believe how much more comfortable it is compared to the stock bar on my bike. I had already flipped the stem and that helped a bit, but this handlebar is amazing. Also, for some reason, I don't feel as much vibration with this handlebar as I did with my stock one. Do handlebars really absorb that much vibration from the roads?
USAF1C1X1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 12:51 PM   #677
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF1C1X1 View Post
Most of my rides here in South Korea are to nowhere because, well, I can't read the road signs. I have to take pictures of landmarks along my route so I can find my way back. On an unrelated note, my flat bar came in the mail today. It's an Easton EA50 and I got it for super cheap. I can't believe how much more comfortable it is compared to the stock bar on my bike. I had already flipped the stem and that helped a bit, but this handlebar is amazing. Also, for some reason, I don't feel as much vibration with this handlebar as I did with my stock one. Do handlebars really absorb that much vibration from the roads?
I not sure about the handle bars ? maybe it could be the grips, or the different riding position given you
that extra cushion..On the taking pictures to find your way back, I got lost several times in Peru, LOL,
think God for Nextel and friends that live there..So many streets. pedestrians, cars, motorcyclist, bicycles,
only takes 3 or 4 miles and you can get turn around easy..Richard
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 03:06 PM   #678
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze13 View Post
Have to admit the 3 mile bike ride averaging 20.5 coming back and up hills 15 MPH but to the fact that i have a schwinn tourist with 24 speed 27 pund bike with my
dad having a 42 pound bike and carrying all the bike break down tools


Christopher
That's awesome Chris. Go easy on the old man so he doesn't burn out on biking. A riding partner makes biking a lot more fun and if he's carrying the tools, I'd suggest you quit dropping him!

Stay on the middle ring until you get a couple thousand miles in your legs. You are young and might damage your knees if you ride as hard as you can. Work on spinning and aerobic workout. Don't worry about your speed, Ditch the cycle computer and get a heart rate monitor. Or use both, but work on cardiovascular first, strength later. It sounds like you are already pretty strong. Try to ride for at least 30 minutes at a time.

Welcome to bikeforums. Enjoy the ride!
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 05:24 PM   #679
spaze13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
That's awesome Chris. Go easy on the old man so he doesn't burn out on biking. A riding partner makes biking a lot more fun and if he's carrying the tools, I'd suggest you quit dropping him!

Stay on the middle ring until you get a couple thousand miles in your legs. You are young and might damage your knees if you ride as hard as you can. Work on spinning and aerobic workout. Don't worry about your speed, Ditch the cycle computer and get a heart rate monitor. Or use both, but work on cardiovascular first, strength later. It sounds like you are already pretty strong. Try to ride for at least 30 minutes at a time.

Welcome to bikeforums. Enjoy the ride!
I went on a bike ride with my dad and i drafted him today. It was a longer ride but i did not feel tired at all but it was an enjoyable ride,we did at least 10 to 15 MPH thanks for the advise and i will give my old man a break,

Christopher
spaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 06:02 PM   #680
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I thought I would pull a good one on my son, 10-27-2010 went on a speed ride, him riding the new
Schwinn Tourist, me the new F4. I lead the draft with about a 15 MPH tailwind, ( LOL ..and on the way back
told him I would draft him. ( I,m a cheater Laugh ), he was cranking it out. Very proud of him ! I noticed the
last 500 yards from our driveway he was starting to struggle, made my move, passed him by a few feet,
heard him say OH NO ! Next thing I know he was passing me like nothing, beat me by a 100 yards to the driveway.
( BUT ) our drive is about 1./2 mile long rough gravel road and about 350' descent with a large speed bump about half way down to keep
the cars from going to fast. On the old Trailways I could manage around 15 MPH going down, crashed once though, but on the new F4 probably 25 MPH, caught air on the speed bump, and was at the house half way
through an adult beverage before he skillfully masters his way down it...Hats off to him for owning me on the road ride ! But the few second down hill was AWESOME, and a little scary ! I was flying down the drive..
Christopher and Richard !
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 09:59 AM   #681
JuneHawk
Senior Member
 
JuneHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't take a picture but I had a 17 mile slow ride with 3 other people and all but one of them was a hybrid. We stopped halfway a local park for a snack. Honestly, it was too slow but that's life!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54983519
JuneHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 10:58 AM   #682
Talldog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive View Post
Well I thought I would pull a good one on my son, 10-27-2010 went on a speed ride, him riding the new
Schwinn Tourist, me the new F4. I lead the draft with about a 15 MPH tailwind, ( LOL ..and on the way back
told him I would draft him. ( I,m a cheater Laugh ),
Age & treachery will over come youth and enthusiasm every time ...

Sounds like you guys really had fun. In a nutshell, whether going fast or slow, that is what it is all about.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 11:06 AM   #683
Talldog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneHawk View Post
I didn't take a picture but I had a 17 mile slow ride with 3 other people and all but one of them was a hybrid. We stopped halfway a local park for a snack. Honestly, it was too slow but that's life!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54983519
Sounds like a nice ride. Slow or not, according to your Garmin you had a pretty good workout nonetheless. Beats watching TV, eh ?
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 05:16 PM   #684
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the C-Dales first commute to town, it was a really good trip. I seem to get there much faster, probably
do to the more aggressive riding style, not catching as much wind. But as you can see this is not a very bike
friendly place to ride..
, and the ride home was
so much more hill friendly with the different gearing.
It is a mule for hauling stuff ! and rides great ! , and still seems faster..Richard

Last edited by xoxoxoxoLive; 11-05-10 at 05:18 PM. Reason: double video
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 01:18 AM   #685
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneHawk View Post
I didn't take a picture but I had a 17 mile slow ride with 3 other people and all but one of them was a hybrid. We stopped halfway a local park for a snack. Honestly, it was too slow but that's life!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54983519
Nice informative post ! 17 miles fast or slow, is still a good ride....Richard
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 01:48 AM   #686
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Such a versatile bike... after riding 14 km on the road I had enough of that so decided to make my commute more interesting.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 01:53 AM   #687
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Such a versatile bike... after riding 14 km on the road I had enough of that so decided to make my commute more interesting.

Show off ! Nice looking bike, and you my be able to climb those tough hills. But I will get there...( LOL ) Richard
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 02:11 AM   #688
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive View Post
Show off ! Nice looking bike, and you my be able to climb those tough hills. But I will get there...( LOL ) Richard
What hill ?

It was the getting in and out of here that is the killer... this area sits mid way on what has to be one of the hardest climbs out of the valley and I only have a 44:34 for a low.

It goes up nearly 1000 feet from the valley floor over less than 3000 feet... 300 metres up over less than a km.

Think that puts the grade at over 12%.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 02:24 AM   #689
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
xo

This will give you a good idea of my route... I was coming down the valley and then crossed the river some km down the road and rode up to where you see those buildings on the other side.

The picture I posted previously was taken half way up where there are all kinds of interesting trails and it is a favourite place for me to go and escape the city without leaving the city.



What I really like about the set up on the Moulden is that I can strip the rack and fenders in under 5 minutes as the rear fender is attached to the rack and the front fender unclips.

Then I have a sub 24 pound bike for really rocking the trails.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 11-06-10 at 02:28 AM.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 02:32 AM   #690
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
What hill ?

It was the getting in and out of here that is the killer... this area sits mid way on what has to be one of the hardest climbs out of the valley and I only have a 44:34 for a low.

It goes up nearly 1000 feet from the valley floor over less than 3000 feet... 300 metres up over less than a km.

Think that puts the grade at over 12%.
I was kinda referring to a post you made on another thread also, and I still end up pushing with 22 x 34 ! D$#M ( Laugh ) Richard ( I need a strong
riding partner, my son is going all roadie on me now ! )
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 02:35 AM   #691
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
xo

This will give you a good idea of my route... I was coming down the valley and then crossed the river some km down the road and rode up to where you see those buildings on the other side.

The picture I posted previously was taken half way up where there are all kinds of interesting trails and it is a favourite place for me to go and escape the city without leaving the city.



What I really like about the set up on the Moulden is that I can strip the rack and fenders in under 5 minutes as the rear fender is attached to the rack and the front fender unclips.

Then I have a sub 24 pound bike for really rocking the trails.
Not to beat a dead horse, but that is what I CALL a real Hybrid ! Richard
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 01:23 PM   #692
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Bikes:
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
The picture I posted previously was taken half way up where there are all kinds of interesting trails and it is a favourite place for me to go and escape the city without leaving the city.
Nice trail there and it looks treacherous with all that sand.
You are very lucky to have such a nice surrounding for biking.
As xoxo stated: nice bike! To have those extremely fat tires with the dropbars would make people around here really think you are crazy
AdelaaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 01:45 PM   #693
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaaR View Post
Nice trail there and it looks treacherous with all that sand.
You are very lucky to have such a nice surrounding for biking.
As xoxo stated: nice bike! To have those extremely fat tires with the dropbars would make people around here really think you are crazy
This little trail runs adjacent to the paved path that runs down the north side of the valley... the city thinks that laying down crushed gravel is a good idea and it does make things a little sketchy but running 2.1's makes it less so.

I installed cross levers so I could get farther back on the saddle on these types of descents and and it's like a cross bike on steroids.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 05:45 PM   #694
bjjoondo 
Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Bikes: 1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rode in the Colorado Springs Veterans Day Parade, with the "Veteran Powered Vechical Group"! LOL, all kinds of trick bikes and trikes so we figured we were representing all the "poor" folks who just ride plan hybrids.

__________________
Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
B.J. Ondo
1993 Mongoose Switchback Ridged MTB, converted to a "Rail Trail Bike"! :)
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 08:46 PM   #695
Bendico
Senior Member
 
Bendico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Westmoreland County, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)




GAP in the late fall is awesome rode yesterday it will be the last time this year I get to ride thru the Big Savage tunnel as it will be closing 12/1/10. Will be riding tomorrow somewhere else on the GAP maybe out of Ohiopyle PA.

Last edited by Bendico; 11-13-10 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Linking pic from flickr
Bendico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 12:02 AM   #696
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendico View Post




GAP in the late fall is awesome rode yesterday it will be the last time this year I get to ride thru the Big Savage tunnel as it will be closing 12/1/10. Will be riding tomorrow somewhere else on the GAP maybe out of Ohiopyle PA.
Nice Photo ! Richard : )
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 10:22 AM   #697
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Bikes:
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
Rode in the Colorado Springs Veterans Day Parade, with the "Veteran Powered Vechical Group"! LOL, all kinds of trick bikes and trikes so we figured we were representing all the "poor" folks who just ride plan hybrids.

Two extremely cool bikes there!
The one on the left is about the slowest bike possible and the one on the right is a superspeed aerobike for doing hour records ... amazing picture with such a contrast.
AdelaaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 10:33 AM   #698
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Bikes:
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today my hybrid took me to my driveway and then to my garage.
It was extremely bad weather here today, so I wasn't in for an actual ride but instead I decided to give her a serious cleaning.
First, I hosed her down on the driveway to get rid of all the mud.
Then, I Washed her with soap & sponge.
Finally, I completely re-lubed her with PTFE-spray and silicon spray where needed.
Nothing was left to chance and I took care of bottom bracket bearings, derailleurs, stanchion tubes, brake levers, brake cable housings, brake arm pivot points, hubs, internals of my gripshifts, gear cable housings, chain, chainrings, cassette, hubs on second wheelset, cassette on second wheelset, etc...
I even cleaned the machined braking sections of my rims to get rid of grease and improve braking in the future
AdelaaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 05:45 PM   #699
Scottrod
Junior Member
 
Scottrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Illinois near St Louis MO
Bikes: Giant Sedona DX and a Giant Simple 7 cruiser
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a quick trip through the now empty farm country of Southern Illinois :









Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0093..jpg (97.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0091..jpg (100.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0107..jpg (103.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0095..jpg (100.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Scottrod; 11-15-10 at 10:52 PM. Reason: add pics
Scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 06:02 PM   #700
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same ride different day






qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.