Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today? (http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/574261-where-did-your-hybrid-take-you-today.html)

KShep 09-01-09 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh00k (Post 9594029)
^ wow, that's an awesome average speed! im going to start doing 20 mile trips only to work on my endurance and strength. i would be insanely happy with a 15mph average.

...my loop is flat, faily protected from any wind and I never have to stop pedaling. Thanks for the kind words tho.

sh00k 09-01-09 12:01 PM

gotcha. i hit so much headwind yesterday in manhattan since the path is right next to the water... on one of the lowest gears, it literally felt like i was peddling uphill. and it was like that for miles!

Luddite 09-01-09 07:49 PM

To work and back. Hit 32km/h on a flat section.

gepilling 09-01-09 11:44 PM

Just 8.4 miles in 37 minutes today. 13.6 mph average, which I think is decent considering I had to cross 2 busy roads and had to wait a little while both times so that hurt my average.

KShep 09-02-09 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gepilling (Post 9598681)
Just 8.4 miles in 37 minutes today. 13.6 mph average, which I think is decent considering I had to cross 2 busy roads and had to wait a little while both times so that hurt my average.

Great job considering the traffic....I am fortunate not to have to contend with that distraction/hazard.

8.41 miles today on the 30 minute loop. Saw a college co-ed walking a doggie. Nice doggie...cute gal. Scenery otherwise unchanged.

Luddite 09-02-09 10:17 PM

To work and back, on the way to work I stayed entirely out of granny gears, even on the Hill of Doom I curse at every morning. :)

alienx 09-03-09 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh00k (Post 9595164)
gotcha. i hit so much headwind yesterday in manhattan since the path is right next to the water... on one of the lowest gears, it literally felt like i was peddling uphill. and it was like that for miles!

Yep, the Hudson greenway can be humbling. I hated the wind in the beginning, but now I try to embrace it :rolleyes:. Either way, I think it is kind of like riding hills, you get a kind of workout that you just don't get on flat ground.

Tracon 09-03-09 10:15 AM

Three loops on Sullivans Is. SC. 20.3 miles 15mph avg. felt like I had a head wind the whole way. Great ride today, yesterday not so great my 8 yr old had a crash while we we riding, nothing broken but road rash on elbow and knee. He was showing off his scrapes to the girls in class when I dropped him off at school.

qmsdc15 09-03-09 04:56 PM

Chicks dig scars. I remember when I was that age a girl letting me lick her popsicle once for each boo boo I could show her.

Tracon 09-03-09 07:42 PM

Oh yea! he is milking it for all its worth.

sh00k 09-03-09 08:42 PM

i just took a quick 3 mile spin around time square. this time, i rode from my place to the bike lane that runs down broadway. took it from 57th street to 42nd street. avg speed was 6mph (ROFLMAO!) and top speed was 18mph... i was in jeans and just cruising - stopping at almost every block for a few seconds. love the bike lane - it seems so barren except for when pedi-cabs are in the way, or a double parked car, or traffic making a left turn....

still a fun ride.

Sixty Fiver 09-03-09 10:05 PM

It's a 14 km round trip to the girl's school and I did that twice... it was nice in the am before the temperature got insane but am sure I was sinking into the pavement on my afternoon ride.

It was 33 C / 91 F today... and people say it does not get hot in Canada.

I went over to my shop and fitted a new stem (lower and stiffer) to my bike after my morning coffee and managed to do the 8 km from there to school in 15 minutes in spite of the construction and heat. The physio must be working as I had a little of that old speed.

I hit every light on the way there and probably should have taken it easy as I am still feeling a little fried.

The girls and I take an alternate route as they aren't up to playing in traffic like their dad is.

qmsdc15 09-04-09 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 9611775)
It's a 14 km round trip to the girl's school and I did that twice...

It was 33 C / 91 F today... and people say it does not get hot in Canada.

They let you go home for lunch?

91 F, oh my! You poor thing.

terraskye 09-04-09 04:42 PM

Took the older boy (not mine) to school today...Funny story too: I ride their moms hybrid and halfway home the seat post starts lowering until I'm like a clown riding a kiddy bike.... I was like WTF I dont even have any tools on me...luckily her hybrid has a seat post adjustment thingie (for lack of the proper term) on it so I was able to unlock, loosen and raise up. the 3 year old was laughing so hard

Sixty Fiver 09-04-09 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmsdc15 (Post 9616436)
They let you go home for lunch?

91 F, oh my! You poor thing.

I take the girls to school in the am and then ride to home / my shop and then pick them up in the afternoon after school.

i am pretty proud of them as they racked up over 70km this week with nary a complaint... today was nasty as the the wind is coming out of the west at 18 mph and when I offered them the option of busing they said they wanted to ride.

We usually see quite a few cyclists in the morning but it looks like all the big people chickened out because of a little rain and wind.

(We go straight west in the am and east in the pm.)

The temperature dropped 30 degrees today which was a welcome relief and I figure the girls will want to ride until it snows and my youngest has been asking for studded tyres.

qmsdc15 09-04-09 06:36 PM

I was less than two blocks into a beer run when a lady on a road bike passed me. I chased her and rode
with her and ended up getting my beer a long way from here, at the Town Hall in College Park. I invited her to stop there with the drinks on me, but she declined, so we parted ways at Lake Artemesia. On the way home, I realized I had forgotten my iPod, something I hadn't missed on the way out, flirting with the roadie chick. A long and lonely ride home.

On the way out, I stopped to snap a picture of this guy, then chased back up to my new friend. She suffers stalkers well.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...h/IMG_2934.jpg

She pointed out these deer, which I would not have noticed. Deers, aeroplanes and subway trains at the
longest continuously operating airport in the USA. The Wright brothers used this field.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...h/IMG_2942.jpg

qmsdc15 09-04-09 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 9616703)
I take the girls to school in the am and then ride to home / my shop and then pick them up in the afternoon after school.

i am pretty proud of them as they racked up over 70km this week with nary a complaint... today was nasty as the the wind is coming out of the west at 18 mph and when I offered them the option of busing they said they wanted to ride.

We usually see quite a few cyclists in the morning but it looks like all the big people chickened out because of a little rain and wind.

(We go straight west in the am and east in the pm.)

The temperature dropped 30 degrees today which was a welcome relief and I figure the girls will want to ride until it snows and my youngest has been asking for studded tyres.

I thought you rode to school in the morning, home for lunch, then another roundtrip for the afternoon session. When I was a little guy, grades 1 through 5, I was allowed to go home for lunch.

Sixty Fiver 09-04-09 08:10 PM

I went home for lunch every day until I hit High School but then, I lived in a small town and was never far from home.

The round trip takes the girls 50-60 minutes so they take a lunch and while they study, I do the stuff I need to do.

I had physio today and worked at my shop for a little while cleaning up the bike and making little adjustments as I am going riding on the weekend and want to be ready for what will be 180 km.

qmsdc15 09-04-09 08:29 PM

Going home for lunch rocks! Correction, my small town life ended after fourth grade, not fifth, but yeah, small town life ruled. We had a four digit phone number.

TamaraEden 09-04-09 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmsdc15 (Post 9617727)
Going home for lunch rocks! Correction, my small town life ended after fourth grade, not fifth, but yeah, small town life ruled. We had a four digit phone number.

WOW! 4 numbers. I didn't even know we had that in the states!

Panthers007 09-04-09 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmsdc15 (Post 9617160)
I was less than two blocks into a beer run when a lady on a road bike passed me. I chased her and rode
with her and ended up getting my beer a long way from here, at the Town Hall in College Park. I invited her to stop there with the drinks on me, but she declined, so we parted ways at Lake Artemesia. On the way home, I realized I had forgotten my iPod, something I hadn't missed on the way out, flirting with the roadie chick. A long and lonely ride home.

On the way out, I stopped to snap a picture of this guy, then chased back up to my new friend. She suffers stalkers well.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...h/IMG_2934.jpg

She pointed out these deer, which I would not have noticed. Deers, aeroplanes and subway trains at the
longest continuously operating airport in the USA. The Wright brothers used this field.

Thanks for reminding me - I've yet to go stalk the indigenous Great Blue Herons that inhabit my local estuary. With my camera that is. I reserve my dinner invitations to Ducks & Doves. Love that dark meat! Yum!! Hmm...Duck-Hunting by Hybrid...

MorganRaider 09-04-09 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmsdc15 (Post 9617160)
I was less than two blocks into a beer run when a lady on a road bike passed me. I chased her and rode
with her and ended up getting my beer a long way from here, at the Town Hall in College Park. I invited her to stop there with the drinks on me, but she declined, so we parted ways at Lake Artemesia. On the way home, I realized I had forgotten my iPod, something I hadn't missed on the way out, flirting with the roadie chick. A long and lonely ride home.

On the way out, I stopped to snap a picture of this guy, then chased back up to my new friend. She suffers stalkers well.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...h/IMG_2934.jpg

She pointed out these deer, which I would not have noticed. Deers, aeroplanes and subway trains at the
longest continuously operating airport in the USA. The Wright brothers used this field.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...h/IMG_2942.jpg


Do you think if that big buck on the left side of pic had his bar ends tilted more forward he could run faster into a headwind ??

Just yanking your chain... Beautiful pics, but where is the one of your stalking victim ??

TamaraEden 09-04-09 09:43 PM

Haven't rode the bike in a few weeks. 1 week of really bad air, 1 week in DC, and maybe we rode once the week before...BUT...I did find out that there are 2 other teachers in my small school of about 20 teachers who will also be bike commuting. (basically I work at a large comprehensive high school that is broken into 4 independent programs) Though I know that two of us aren't doing it this next week because of the heat and bad air from the fires. I also know that the financial manager at the school bike commutes. I'll be keeping an eye out for how many others do this. I think it's great! And, one guy will be commuting mostly up hill (downtown LA to Hollywood) and we discovered that one of the small schools has a bathroom with a shower! No idea why there's a shower in there but the AP of the school is going to give him access which is cool.

qmsdc15 09-04-09 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamaraEden (Post 9617905)
WOW! 4 numbers. I didn't even know we had that in the states!

OK, maybe it was five numbers, but I think it was four. I'll ask my mom, maybe she remembers. Calling out of town would require more numbers, for sure, but we lived in a small insular community. I think I was taught a four digit number just in case, but I've never really used the telephone much. My land line has been off the hook for years, but I do have a cell phone now. :)

TamaraEden 09-04-09 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmsdc15 (Post 9618411)
OK, maybe it was five numbers, but I think it was four. I'll ask my mom, maybe she remembers. Calling out of town would require more numbers, for sure, but we lived in a small insular community. I think I was taught a four digit number just in case, but I've never really used the telephone much. My land line has been off the hook for years, but I do have a cell phone now. :)

Thanks..ummm.. for the..ummm..timeline of your phone usage and history:roflmao2:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.