Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-13, 01:11 PM   #2376
treadtread
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 1,253
Some kind of barrier strung across - not sure.
treadtread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 02:15 PM   #2377
adg4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
I took my new Marin Muirwoods 29er to return 45 pounds worth of paint to my landlord. I could have borrowed my girlfriends car, but I felt up for a challenge. I didn't anticipate an iPhone photo shoot later on during my ride.

This is the terrible job I did trying to secure the paint to my new Topeak rack. I didn't have bungee cords or rope so I used a leather jump rope. About a block from my apartment, it was clear I needed to make some changes to the rack setup.



This picture was taken off of Grand Avenue in Chicago. There is a little park with a Veteran's memorial.



Here you can see my new mounting setup. At the time of taking this picture, the 40 pound, 5 gallon bucket of paint was in the process of stretching out my Jandd Grocery Pannier. My U-lock attached a 1 gallon bucket of paint to the 5 gallon. Other than bending the top of my pannier bag, the setup worked well to get me through the 3 mile ride to my landlord's office.






On the way home, I stopped off at a restaurant on the West side of Chicago called Feed. You can see my BBQ chicken sandwiches (and sides of course) in my pannier bag. In the process of balancing the bike, it fell over on the pannier side. Fear not, the food was relatively unscathed. Once you get a mile or so West of the Chicago River, the area gets relatively industrial and there are some pretty cool pockets to explore. The stock wheels on my Marin worked well enough.






Overall, I'm very happy with my new bike. I put on Shimano PD-M324 hybrid pedals, King Stainless bottle cages, PDW front and rear lights, a Topeak 29er Disk Rack (very solid), and cut down the handlebars a bit and installed Oury locking grips. For now, it's a pretty sweet commuter/apocalypse bike.

I'll take some Chicago skyline glamour shots soon.

Have a great weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0828.jpg (101.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0831.jpg (101.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (100.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0840.jpg (101.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.jpg (101.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0847.jpg (103.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0852.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by adg4; 09-13-13 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Changed out images
adg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 10:45 PM   #2378
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
Posts: 2,923
My hybrid took me out for a 31 mile ride. I'm getting ready for a 100 mile ride (by far my longest ever) in a few weeks and am trying to get on the bike enough to get my rump in shape. Usually during the week a 30 miler is about all I have time for with a longer ride on the weekend.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 12:27 AM   #2379
SHOFINE 
Senior Member
 
SHOFINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gulf Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg4 View Post
I took my new Marin Muirwoods 29er to return 45 pounds worth of paint to my landlord. I could have borrowed my girlfriends car, but I felt up for a challenge. I didn't anticipate an iPhone photo shoot later on during my ride.

This is the terrible job I did trying to secure the paint to my new Topeak rack. I didn't have bungee cords or rope so I used a leather jump rope. About a block from my apartment, it was clear I needed to make some changes to the rack setup.

Nice 29er! I've zipped tied a milk crate to my rack and a 5 gallon bucket fits nicely.
__________________
2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2015 616 Muenzie, 2013 On One Fatty, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2011 Kona Dr. Fine, 1985 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn World Sport

SHOFINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 02:07 AM   #2380
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,533
It took me to work today. Stopped by this nice Machiya wall (merchant house)

giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 03:33 AM   #2381
SHOFINE 
Senior Member
 
SHOFINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gulf Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
Hot! sure looks fast with them little bitty tires. Maybe I've been looking at too much fat lately?
__________________
2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2015 616 Muenzie, 2013 On One Fatty, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2011 Kona Dr. Fine, 1985 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn World Sport

SHOFINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 06:47 AM   #2382
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFINE View Post
.... Maybe I've been looking at too much fat lately?
Nothing wrong with a little fat.
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 06:05 PM   #2383
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
Posts: 2,923
Today I rode to my daughter's double-header fastpitch game then rode back. Total of just over 40 miles. My wife took my gear (I coach) to and from the game. Worked great except that after a double-header off the bike I was a bit tight and it took some stretching and a bit more than normal spinning to get warmed up before pressing.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 09:15 PM   #2384
west coast girl
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: N. of the Emerald City
Bikes: cannondale synapse 6 carbon; trek 7.5 FX WSD
Posts: 42
Morro Bay, California.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.3 KB, 24 views)
west coast girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 04:45 AM   #2385
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,533
Had an incredible ride today on my Hybrid with friends. What was supposed to be a gentle scenic ride, turned into a hard, technically difficult trek. Many hills / mountains, landslides fully blocking the road which we had to climb over, mud and sand, and a tunnel with zero lighting for 3/4 of it. What an experience. My phone's battery shat itself so the attached strava is only to half way. The total details for me were:
4:35.59 travel time
98.61 km covered
21.4 average speed
68.7 km/h max speed.
http://app.strava.com/activities/84288752
These are the pics my friend took for me...







MY PICS...




Last edited by giantcfr1; 09-23-13 at 04:58 AM.
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 07:55 AM   #2386
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
Had an incredible ride today on my Hybrid with friends. What was supposed to be a gentle scenic ride, turned into a hard, technically difficult trek. Many hills / mountains, landslides fully blocking the road which we had to climb over, mud and sand, and a tunnel with zero lighting for 3/4 of it. What an experience. My phone's battery shat itself so the attached strava is only to half way. The total details for me were:
4:35.59 travel time
98.61 km covered
21.4 average speed
68.7 km/h max speed.
Awesome. Is Kyoto a bike-friendly city? I've heard of people "puttering" around in Kyoto, Shiga and Osaka on their bikes.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 02:31 AM   #2387
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
Awesome. Is Kyoto a bike-friendly city? I've heard of people "puttering" around in Kyoto, Shiga and Osaka on their bikes.
Yes, Kyoto is bicycle friendly. It's a major part of our transport system here. We don't have the cycle lanes etc. that you guys have, but the drivers are "bicycle aware" due to the fact most of them, their partners and children ride bicycles.
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 07:49 AM   #2388
TomCat_Ford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
[T]he drivers are "bicycle aware[.]"
That sounds better than having bike lanes--wish more people were like that in my neck of the woods.
TomCat_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 09:43 AM   #2389
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
Yes, Kyoto is bicycle friendly. It's a major part of our transport system here. We don't have the cycle lanes etc. that you guys have, but the drivers are "bicycle aware" due to the fact most of them, their partners and children ride bicycles.
That's great to hear. I know a lot of people ride Dutch-style bikes ("mama-chari") over there. I just wasn't sure if it translated into bicycle friendliness from the recreational/road cyclists' point of view.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:44 PM   #2390
cycles4fun
22-32-42
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Bellingham Bay & Skagit River Waterfront
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bellinghambay.jpg (75.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg skagitriverpark.jpg (68.6 KB, 23 views)
cycles4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 12:03 AM   #2391
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycles4fun View Post
...
MOOSE Bye Bye
giantcfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 12:08 AM   #2392
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycles4fun View Post
Bellingham Bay & Skagit River Waterfront
Very nice! I'd love to ride up there, especially that waterfront!
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 12:55 PM   #2393
Willis24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Polo, MO
Bikes: '02 Jamis Coda, Eighthinch Scrambler V3, On-One Scandal V2
Posts: 51
My hybrid took me on a 20+ mile gravel grind. I hope to get that aluminum fork switched out to carbon or steel very soon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-25_12-43-29_139_1.jpg (80.8 KB, 36 views)
Willis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 03:48 PM   #2394
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis24 View Post
My hybrid took me on a 20+ mile gravel grind. I hope to get that aluminum fork switched out to carbon or steel very soon.
Wow, looks like you live on graph paper, LOL. I went to South Dakota for work a few years ago and everything was completely flat and all roads went north/south and east/west like that. It was very strange to me.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 04:27 PM   #2395
Willis24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Polo, MO
Bikes: '02 Jamis Coda, Eighthinch Scrambler V3, On-One Scandal V2
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Wow, looks like you live on graph paper, LOL.
It would be difficult to get lost around here!
Willis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 06:35 PM   #2396
Mudgut
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10


Bridge over ICW. Emerald Isle NC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1989_zps8852a03d.jpg (93.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1988_zpsa1e61009.jpg (85.7 KB, 18 views)
Mudgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 09:47 AM   #2397
blue_cheese
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 94
Right through the local ditch

This time of year is amazing in the local ravines, tons of salmon jumping up the stream, the fall colors are awesome, even in the forest it is a carpet of red and yellow (looks nice, deadly in case you have to stop fast). Took my time on that one to enjoy the sights and one of the last warm days of the year.

http://www.strava.com/activities/86263634


blue_cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 07:43 AM   #2398
memebag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.0, 2013 Electra Cruiser 1, 2014 Giant Escape City
Posts: 329
My hybrid took me on my first group ride last night. I didn't know what to expect, so I brought the hybrid. Turns out everyone else was on a road bike and wearing bike clothes and shoes. I was the only one in sandals and cargo shorts. Some of them seemed concerned that I was in over my head, and recommended a beginner's ride. They said the slow group rode at 16-18 mph the whole way, but it turns out they average about 14 mph. I had no trouble keeping up with the slow group, and finished with the slightly less slow group.

Everyone was very friendly, and some were impressed that I could hang with them so easily. I'm convinced the difference between my hybrid and a road bike is pretty slim in real world, casual use. With all of the potholes and puddles, I think my hybrid may be better suited to the task.

It was a whole lot of fun.
memebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 07:52 AM   #2399
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
My hybrid took me on my first group ride last night. I didn't know what to expect, so I brought the hybrid. Turns out everyone else was on a road bike and wearing bike clothes and shoes. I was the only one in sandals and cargo shorts. Some of them seemed concerned that I was in over my head, and recommended a beginner's ride. They said the slow group rode at 16-18 mph the whole way, but it turns out they average about 14 mph. I had no trouble keeping up with the slow group, and finished with the slightly less slow group.

Everyone was very friendly, and some were impressed that I could hang with them so easily. I'm convinced the difference between my hybrid and a road bike is pretty slim in real world, casual use. With all of the potholes and puddles, I think my hybrid may be better suited to the task.
Sounds great!

How long was the ride? I don't have experience with road bikes, but I'd be inclined to agree that the differences between a hybrid and a road bike would be minimal on a 10-20 mile ride at an average speed of 14-15 MPH.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 07:57 AM   #2400
memebag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.0, 2013 Electra Cruiser 1, 2014 Giant Escape City
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
Sounds great!

How long was the ride? I don't have experience with road bikes, but I'd be inclined to agree that the differences between a hybrid and a road bike would be minimal on a 10-20 mile ride at an average speed of 14-15 MPH.
The ride was a little over 20 miles. I rode an extra 10 or so getting to the starting point and back home. 30 miles on my Giant Escape City is easy.
memebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 AM.