Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-09, 08:45 PM   #1
Tome
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Washington state
Bikes: A Jamis Coda Comp hybrid, a Breeze Twiste mountain bike and a Greenspeed recumbent.r
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Info on the Trek FX 7.9

Contrary to a number of opinions in this forum:
1. The Carbon Fiber frame on the 7.9 has the same warranty as does the aluminium framed bikes. Break it and we'll replace it. Not for five years, forever.
2. My new 7.9 weighs three pounds less than my wife's 7.5.
I was looking for a 7.9 or a 7.7. The shop where I bought the bike here in Washington charged me only about $300 more for the 7.9 which they happened to have in the shop.
It rides just like my wife's bike except it accelerates faster and handles a little better because of the slightly lower center of gravity.
I discussed the possibility of "hybridizing" a Madone 4.5 but two of the techs in the shop said that's definitely not the thing to do and gave me a number of reasons why, all of which made sense.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 09:13 PM   #2
common man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome View Post
handles a little better because of the slightly lower center of gravity.
i don't understand, please elaborate.

edit: of course i understand center of gravity but why would a 7.5 to a 7.7 improve handling when both bikes have same geometry? perhaps your bike is smaller and that's why it has lower c-o-g?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome View Post
"hybridizing" a Madone 4.5 but two of the techs in the shop said that's definitely not the thing to do and gave me a number of reasons why, all of which made sense.
what were they? for my next bike (i'm a newbie), i am considering a road bike with a riser stem as an option. what's wrong with that? i would like to know for my own education.

Last edited by common man; 09-19-09 at 02:02 PM.
common man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 11:37 AM   #3
sh00k
Senior Member
 
sh00k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
congrats on your 7.9. we needs pics!
sh00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 11:47 AM   #4
Tome
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Washington state
Bikes: A Jamis Coda Comp hybrid, a Breeze Twiste mountain bike and a Greenspeed recumbent.r
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trek 7.9

The center of gravity is slightly lower because all the upper components are carbon fiber as opposed to aluminum on other bikes. The crankset and bottom bracket are metal so the lighter components and frame will cause the COG to drop down a little.

The techs at Gregg's in Seattle asked me about my riding history and simply told me since I've ridden both conventional road bikes and hybrids and prefer hybrids that the difference in layout of the frames will cause me annoyance. If I like the feel of a hybrid stick with a hybrid. You really can't make a road bike into a hybrid by using a taller adjustable stem.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 12:47 PM   #5
common man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome View Post
The center of gravity is slightly lower because all the upper components are carbon fiber as opposed to aluminum on other bikes. The crankset and bottom bracket are metal so the lighter components and frame will cause the COG to drop down a little.
If you like it then that's all that matters. I, however, imagine that a few grams of drop in weight for components is going to minimally lower the C-O-G. There's a drop, for sure, but I don't know if the C-O-G lowers like it would from a 19" hybrid to a 17" hybrid (noticeable difference). That's just me. You're happy - that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome View Post
The techs at Gregg's in Seattle asked me about my riding history and simply told me since I've ridden both conventional road bikes and hybrids and prefer hybrids that the difference in layout of the frames will cause me annoyance. If I like the feel of a hybrid stick with a hybrid. You really can't make a road bike into a hybrid by using a taller adjustable stem.
Yep, make sense, I figured this would be the answer.
common man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 03:51 PM   #6
Riverside_Guy
Senior Member
 
Riverside_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC-UWS
Bikes: Trek 750
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally took a look at several road bike's gearing. With stock components, it seems like 7.6, 7.7, and 7.9s have pretty much the exact same gearing... am I missing something?

Congrats on the new ride!
Riverside_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 05:22 PM   #7
meanwhile
Senior Member
 
meanwhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome View Post
Contrary to a number of opinions in this forum:
1. The Carbon Fiber frame on the 7.9 has the same warranty as does the aluminium framed bikes. Break it and we'll replace it. Not for five years, forever.
No, not really. From the Trek warranty:

Quote:
The bicycle frame, except the fork and the Session model, for the lifetime of original owner... This warranty does not cover:

* Normal wear and tear
...
* Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
So -

1. This doesn't help at all with the big reason why an informed purchaser wouldn't buy a carbon hybrid - their much higher vulnerability to moderate speed crash damage. If your bike hits a pot hole and the frame PINGS! that's an accident and you're not covered by the warranty. (Do get your CF frame inspected after even a minor crash - damage can be hard to see but "activate" catastrophically later while you are on a CF bike. If you do need a new frame then Trek should provide one very cheaply.)

2. Any "lifetime warranty" that doesn't cover "normal wear and tear" isn't a lifetime warranty for any bike that isn't keep in a display case. It's a get out clause so vast as to render the whole warranty worthless.

But I'm glad you like your bike.

Last edited by meanwhile; 09-21-09 at 05:39 PM.
meanwhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 05:28 PM   #8
meanwhile
Senior Member
 
meanwhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by common man View Post
If you like it then that's all that matters. I, however, imagine that a few grams of drop in weight for components is going to minimally lower the C-O-G. There's a drop, for sure, but I don't know if the C-O-G lowers like it would from a 19" hybrid to a 17" hybrid (noticeable difference). That's just me. You're happy - that's all that matters.
It's the power of the placebo effect - Secrets Of Marketing 101: "Customer pays more for bike; customer convinces himself there is a difference." In fact, the vehicle's centre of gravity has probably moved up - because the vehicle is the bike plus the rider, and now the bike's COG, which is the lower of the two, contributes slightly less to the weight average... So gosh, it'll have moved by several millimeters.
meanwhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:48 AM   #9
Alky
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
It's the power of the placebo effect - Secrets Of Marketing 101: "Customer pays more for bike; customer convinces himself there is a difference." In fact, the vehicle's centre of gravity has probably moved up - because the vehicle is the bike plus the rider, and now the bike's COG, which is the lower of the two, contributes slightly less to the weight average... So gosh, it'll have moved by several millimeters.
this
Alky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 08:26 AM   #10
Riverside_Guy
Senior Member
 
Riverside_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC-UWS
Bikes: Trek 750
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the issue is that some folks have been given info, maybe from a LBS, that the carbon framed Trek's are covered differently than ALU frames. I read the printed catalog warranty and it sure seems they are equally covered.

ALL warranties have exclusions of varying nature, the point being carbon is not an exclusion.

I have read that some have found out there's a "replacement at cost" should Trek claim an exclusion.
Riverside_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 10:49 AM   #11
WCoastPeddler
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
It's the power of the placebo effect - Secrets Of Marketing 101: "Customer pays more for bike; customer convinces himself there is a difference."
BS. Your statement is such a generalization that it can't be taken seriously. As much as you'd like to think that everyone is not intelligent, you're wrong. Many things that cost more are better -- in the bike world, this is particularly true.

Last edited by WCoastPeddler; 09-22-09 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
WCoastPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 11:48 AM   #12
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome View Post
The center of gravity is slightly lower because all the upper components are carbon fiber as opposed to aluminum on other bikes. The crankset and bottom bracket are metal so the lighter components and frame will cause the COG to drop down a little.
Considering your frame is lighter overall, the COG will actually have shifted higher.

You've got a frame which sits mostly below the rider. As is, the COG is fairly high - the rider considerably outweighs the frame. Decrease the weight below the rider (such as by introducing a carbon fiber frame), the COG actually shifts higher.

Now yes, the COG of the bicycle alone - with no rider - probably is lowered, but this isn't the COG you care about.

Handling has probably improved due to other factors.
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 02:22 PM   #13
meanwhile
Senior Member
 
meanwhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post
I think the issue is that some folks have been given info, maybe from a LBS, that the carbon framed Trek's are covered differently than ALU frames. I read the printed catalog warranty and it sure seems they are equally covered.

ALL warranties have exclusions of varying nature, the point being carbon is not an exclusion.
It's very hard try to prove that ANY damage to a CF frame isn't "accident damage". Just ask about this on the racing bike forums - the guy whose racer fell broke in two when he rode over a minor dent in the road was given this line. Probably if the tubes fail at the glued joints you'd be ok (which I've never heard of) but if they delaminate or crack then you'd have a hell of fight. Especially as the bike will crash if this happens while you are riding.

The good thing is that such damage *is* rare.

Quote:
I have read that some have found out there's a "replacement at cost" should Trek claim an exclusion.
Trek have generally provided replacement CF frames at a discounted price, yes.

Last edited by meanwhile; 09-22-09 at 02:30 PM.
meanwhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:50 AM   #14
Tome
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Washington state
Bikes: A Jamis Coda Comp hybrid, a Breeze Twiste mountain bike and a Greenspeed recumbent.r
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trek 7.9

Placebo effect!! Try the ride before you comment! My 7.9 is a lot lighter than my Jamis Coda Comp. 21 pounds verses 24. It's far more comfortable to ride. I can feel the weight difference very clearly between the wheels from my wife's 7.5 and my 7.9.
We went north to a little town of Winthrop, WA for the weekend. Winthrop is a tourist town and is always full of cyclists. There are a number of roads for roadies and Hybrid riders to ride loops on as well as a multitude of Mt. Bike trails. We took two rides which totaled about 40-50 miles. My 7.9 is far faster thn my Comp over the road. I haven't got my computer mounted yet because I need longer ty-raps.
My wife rode my 7.9 so now we have one on order for her, to arrive in the next week to ten days so now we have two bikes for sale, my Jamis and her 7.5.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:52 AM   #15
Tome
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Washington state
Bikes: A Jamis Coda Comp hybrid, a Breeze Twiste mountain bike and a Greenspeed recumbent.r
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks

Thank you West Coast Peddler! Finally somebody who values actuality over opinion. You know what they say about opinions!!
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 03:26 PM   #16
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
1. This doesn't help at all with the big reason why an informed purchaser wouldn't buy a carbon hybrid - their much higher vulnerability to moderate speed crash damage. If your bike hits a pot hole and the frame PINGS! that's an accident and you're not covered by the warranty. (Do get your CF frame inspected after even a minor crash - damage can be hard to see but "activate" catastrophically later while you are on a CF bike. If you do need a new frame then Trek should provide one very cheaply.)

2. Any "lifetime warranty" that doesn't cover "normal wear and tear" isn't a lifetime warranty for any bike that isn't keep in a display case. It's a get out clause so vast as to render the whole warranty worthless.
I work at a (new) Trek store. So far, we've replaced three Madones under warranty, no questions asked from Trek, other than they wanted the frames shipped back to them for inspection. We're also on our third aluminum frame. The only frame they wouldn't deal with was a Klein with obvious crash damage -- bent rear derailleur hanger.

Personal experience: Trek covers warranty issues very well, regardless of the legalese they could use to get out of it. Oh, and they would not cover my son's frame when it got bent because my (ex-)wife backed over it with her car. This was a warrantied frame from when my son busted a canti boss off his old bike.

Who's got stories of Trek not covering a pretty straightforward warranty issue?
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 05:11 PM   #17
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This helps explain why Trek is considered to have the best warranty for their bikes. Cradle to grave pretty much. I don't ever recall anyone who had a complaint about Trek. Some bike-shops, though, have been reluctant to help a customer who bought a Trek. Often wrongly telling the customer that Trek won't take back their frame, and yadda yadda, and having the customer have to force the shop into starting the ball rolling. This was all in another thread around here somewhere. In the outcome, Trek did take the frame back without question and the customer got a brand new frame from Trek.

The customer also found a new bike-shop to patronize.
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 PM.