Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-09, 10:13 PM   #1
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The Touring Hybrids?

OK, who else does bike tours on their hybrid? Or am I alone amid the vast membership of the drop-bar brigade?

My hybrid touring list - a couple of times I used a train for part of the day's travel (riding through Camden, NJ, is for the brave.)

October 2007 - overnight from Edison, NJ, to Red Hill and back.

November 2007 - Kimberton, PA to Cherry Hill, NJ and back the next day.

December 2007 - Kimberton to Philadelphia to Doylestown to Bethlehem (on December 24!) and then back to Kimberton.

February 2008 - Edison, NJ to somewhere in Jersey and back the next day.

April 2008 - Kimberton to Green Lane, back the next day.

May - Kimberton to Edison and back - bulk of the trip was by train.

June - Pittsburgh to DC

August - McKees Rocks, PA to DC

November - Kimberton to Elverson, PA and back.

June 2009 - McKees Rocks to DC, then Baltimore to Annapolis, crossing the bay by car, and then through Delmarva up to Wilmington to the PA border.

Me and Roark, my bike, hanging out at Fort Frederick, MD.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 10:30 PM   #2
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mine... all my long rides this year have been done on this bike and it sees some incredible mileage as a commuter / utility bike as well.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 10:40 PM   #3
Sportsman9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a short tour (150 miles) on Long Island, NY on a Trek 7300. Nice ride, but for the future I'm looking at something like a Surly LHT. I think the bike will be more efficient, allowing me more miles in the saddle.
Sportsman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 05:18 AM   #4
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why no bar ends, Neil? It seems like the ability to change hand position would be welcome on long tours.

There is nothing about the white bike that distinguishes it from a very typical touring bike. The frame, the gearing, the brakes, the wheels, everything about it is very similar to what is found on a touring bike. This is a hybrid only in the very broadest sense of the word.
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 06:02 AM   #5
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
Why no bar ends, Neil? It seems like the ability to change hand position would be welcome on long tours.
The Fort Freddy photo was in June 2008. I've since added Ergon grips with small bar ends.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 06:17 AM   #6
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You rode a long way before making that change. It seems like it wasn't really a problem for you. I've been riding without bar ends for a couple of weeks now, I don't like it and my longest trip is 5 miles. I've read too many good things about the Ergons to not get some the next time I buy grips.

I notice you changed saddles a few times. Are you using the Brooks under a gel cover now?
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 06:28 AM   #7
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
You rode a long way before making that change. It seems like it wasn't really a problem for you. I've been riding without bar ends for a couple of weeks now, I don't like it and my longest trip is 5 miles. I've read too many good things about the Ergons to not get some the next time I buy grips.

I notice you changed saddles a few times. Are you using the Brooks under a gel cover now?
Currently I ride a Brooks B-17. No gel cover.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 09:02 AM   #8
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
People have been touring on non-drop bar bikes for as long as there have been non-drop bar bikes.

But what really worries me is that you don't have a talisman mounted on the bike...no stuffed animals, no wizard figurines, no Kilroy action figures, not even the first road kill you came across....you can't be a real tourist without one.

I never tour without Paddington on my rack trunk, watching my back.

chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 09:24 AM   #9
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
People have been touring on non-drop bar bikes for as long as there have been non-drop bar bikes.

But what really worries me is that you don't have a talisman mounted on the bike...no stuffed animals, no wizard figurines, no Kilroy action figures, not even the first road kill you came across....you can't be a real tourist without one.

I never tour without Paddington on my rack trunk, watching my back.

I wear a whistle around my neck. Does that count?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 09:41 AM   #10
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
I wear a whistle around my neck. Does that count?
hmmm....no...but maybe if you paint evil eyeballs on each side of it.
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 03:43 PM   #11
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
There is nothing about the white bike that distinguishes it from a very typical touring bike. The frame, the gearing, the brakes, the wheels, everything about it is very similar to what is found on a touring bike. This is a hybrid only in the very broadest sense of the word.
Oh please. 65er's is just a Trek Hybrid he put drop bars on. If his bike can't be a hybrid, let me ask you: Apart from handlebars, what is the difference between a touring bike and a hybrid?
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 04:10 PM   #12
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To see what serious touring folks are riding, Adventure Cyclist Magazine is a great place to start. And a short answer is - Yes. Hybrids do comprise many people's bike-of-choice for riding through such far-out places as Tibet or the outback of Australia.

It's a matter of personal choice, familiarity, and comfort.
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 05:36 PM   #13
nymtber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY state
Bikes: See Signature...
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I was to do a long trip on bike, I would take my mountain bike. I do love my hybrid (Specialized Sirrus), but my mountain bike has always been comfortable to ride for hours, and I would be doing long distance on the Erie Canal path here in NY, crushed gravel, so MTB tires would be beneficial. Some spots the gravel gets loose in corners!

for a road long trip, yes, the Sirrus, soon as I get Ergon grips/barends for it
nymtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 06:04 PM   #14
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
To see what serious touring folks are riding, Adventure Cyclist Magazine is a great place to start. And a short answer is - Yes. Hybrids do comprise many people's bike-of-choice for riding through such far-out places as Tibet or the outback of Australia.

It's a matter of personal choice, familiarity, and comfort.
AC's John Schubert, in his annual review of bikes, suggests the Trek 7.2 and 7.3 as good 'hybrid' choices for budget tourers. The strong points about those two models are:

- high spoke count wheels;
- steel forks;
- ease of attaching front racks and panniers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 07:56 PM   #15
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup. I'm just waiting for the smallest excuse for getting rid of the carbon-fork that came stock on the 2007 7.5 FX we both have. Then I'll be prowling for a good steel fork.
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 05:18 AM   #16
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshoup View Post
Oh please. 65er's is just a Trek Hybrid he put drop bars on. If his bike can't be a hybrid, let me ask you: Apart from handlebars, what is the difference between a touring bike and a hybrid?
Touring bikes, road bikes and mountain bikes are all hybrids. And apparently, hybrids are touring bikes!

Last edited by qmsdc15; 10-05-09 at 05:27 AM.
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 05:25 AM   #17
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you could use a front rack would you leave the trailer at home for shorter tours?
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 05:58 AM   #18
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
If you could use a front rack would you leave the trailer at home for shorter tours?
Perhaps. A loaded front rack alters the handling of a bike in a way a trailer doesn't. So I'm not sure I would even if I could.

I've done overnight and three day 'credit card' tours without the trailer. High point of one of them was when I checked into the Hotel Bethlehem and the doorman took my bike up to my room as luggage!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 09:11 AM   #19
billallbritten
Senior Member
 
billallbritten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Murray, KY
Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Mine... all my long rides this year have been done on this bike and it sees some incredible mileage as a commuter / utility bike as well.

I really like your conversion, am planning something like that for mine.
__________________
His: Trek 7500FX
Bianchi Veloce
Spouse: Trek 7.5FX
Daughter's: GT Slipstream (nice steel campus bike, step through frame)
billallbritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 11:17 AM   #20
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshoup View Post
Oh please. 65er's is just a Trek Hybrid he put drop bars on. If his bike can't be a hybrid, let me ask you: Apart from handlebars, what is the difference between a touring bike and a hybrid?
This is classic touring geometry... note the slack frame angles, long rear stays, and the fact this bike is steel which is important to most touristas.



My Trek is a commutourer.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 11:37 AM   #21
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heya Sixty_Fiver: On your white Trek convert, what brand of kick-stand do you have there? I'm looking for something similar for my Trek, and I like the stability of a bi-pod that lifts the front-wheel up.

Thanks!
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 11:39 AM   #22
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
Heya Sixty_Fiver: On your white Trek convert, what brand of kick-stand do you have there? I'm looking for something similar for my Trek, and I like the stability of a bi-pod that lifts the front-wheel up.

Thanks!
Pletscher... makes on the road servicing a delight as you raise the rear wheel too.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 07:58 PM   #23
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Pletscher... makes on the road servicing a delight as you raise the rear wheel too.
Great! Thanks - off to hunt now...
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 09:10 AM   #24
gamecock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Bikes: Rivendell--Sam Hilleborne, the only one I need.
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm preparing my '09 Trek 7.2 for touring. I've been away from cycling for about 12 years, am now 58, but the 7.2 that I bought in May is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. First, my '72 Ideale 39 saddle was installed, and a Blackburn rear rack that I had at home. Using a Performance handlebar bag and an old pair of Nashbar panniers, I made a four day, three night 250 miles out and back in September. I tired of waiting on my LBS for "real" panniers, racks, etc. and I ordered Ortliebs and a Tubus Tara yesterday from good old Wayne at thetouringstore.com. I have an old set of Phil Wood hubs somewhere, 40 spokes, I think, and plan to have a pair of wheels, or maybe just the rear, laced up when I start popping spokes on the original equipment.
gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 AM.