Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-09, 04:16 PM   #1
Fast Cloud
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fast Cloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Masi, anyone?

That Cafe Doppio from their Metro Itallia series is calling my name. I'm loving that dark roast color. A bit pricey, but it looks really tight. Hmmm...
Fast Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 04:31 PM   #2
old and new
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks good, price isn't out of line even comparing to comp. brands w/o Ultegra der. and all. Decent color; the one below it doesn't seem bad either. I like the new FlatBar road bikes.
old and new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 04:36 PM   #3
Fast Cloud
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fast Cloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^ Yeah, I think I like the color on the one below it even better, but no ultegra.
Fast Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 04:44 PM   #4
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm seeing it in Battleship Gray, if I'm looking at the right one. And I like it a lot.
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 04:47 PM   #5
m4ximusprim3
Senior Member
 
m4ximusprim3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9-4
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, the doppio is ****in sick. If someone gave me the option to buy any townie, it would be between that and the district carbon, and I'm pretty sure the doppio would win.
m4ximusprim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 04:51 PM   #6
Fast Cloud
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fast Cloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
I'm seeing it in Battleship Gray, if I'm looking at the right one. And I like it a lot.
You have to download the 2009 catalog and scroll down the pdf, to see it in dark roast.
Fast Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 05:07 PM   #7
old and new
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saw it just now. The Dark is nice too. Their entire line impresses me. I'd no idea they had all those. Can't say if they're better or worse than other brands, it's yet another choice in a bicycle.

They gray's OK, just that I have gray bikes so it has slightly less appeal.
Have a light tan bike but theirs is nice . The dark one, I'll bet, looks better in real life, the photo might not do it justice.
old and new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 06:33 PM   #8
OwnRules
Member
 
OwnRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Island dweller
Bikes:
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That Caffe Racer Doppio in Battle Grey might not be the one you're looking at, but that's one hawt looking bike!
OwnRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 06:35 PM   #9
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnRules View Post
That Caffe Racer Doppio in Battle Grey might not be the one you're looking at, but that's one hawt looking bike!
Agreed!
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 07:38 PM   #10
Fast Cloud
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fast Cloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By the time I'm able to get one, (this spring) I'm sure all the dark roast ones will be gone...that gray looks great as well, though. The LBS can order it whenever I'm ready. He's does biz w/Haro, who I believe owns the Masi line now. Yeah...it's gonna be the doppio, I think.
Fast Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 09:19 PM   #11
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the gray one better anyway. A lot, in fact.
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 04:26 PM   #12
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A really fun bike to ride. I've taken one out for a spin a few times. Nice parts spec. The Kenda tires would be the only thing I'd change.
Saddle Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 11:15 PM   #13
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,652
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
no pic or link? they would run you out of the C&V forum on a rail for a post like this.

1000+ for a hybrid? I would think if you were spending that on a bike you would know whether tou wanted a road, ATB or even a cross bike. IMHO 1000 for bike that in theory was a 'comprise' or 'blending' of mountain bike comfort and road handling and speed seems a bit odd.
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-14-09 at 11:18 PM.
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 09:32 AM   #14
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ah okay then
Saddle Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 09:21 AM   #15
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
1000+ for a hybrid? I would think if you were spending that on a bike you would know whether tou wanted a road, ATB or even a cross bike. IMHO 1000 for bike that in theory was a 'comprise' or 'blending' of mountain bike comfort and road handling and speed seems a bit odd.
Ok,allow me to explain. Hybrids are not always about 'compromise'. I live in the city. I work in the city. It is impossible for me to commute,go for groceries,or go to a club without having to come to a complete stop several times. Ok,maybe if I was traveling at 2 in the morning and blew every light,but during rush hour traffic/lights/routes are not going to allow me to travel for miles non-stop. We also don't have windy conditions all that often,so I really don't have the need to get aero for any length of time. So a hybrid makes perfect sense for the type of riding I do. If the above bike being discussed had a drop bar with brifters,it would either cost hundreds of dollars more,or would have lower end components,and wouldn't offer any real advantages. If you're constantly stopping,you don't need multiple hand positions,and in traffic you need to keep your hands near the brakes,so drop bar vs flat bar is pretty much moot.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 11:09 AM   #16
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have to explain they won't understand.
Saddle Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 12:48 PM   #17
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
1000+ for a hybrid?
There's one on ebay for $549 BIN


http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Masi-C...item1c1678a812
cs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 01:49 PM   #18
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Bikes:
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
1000+ for a hybrid? I would think if you were spending that on a bike you would know whether tou wanted a road, ATB or even a cross bike. IMHO 1000 for bike that in theory was a 'comprise' or 'blending' of mountain bike comfort and road handling and speed seems a bit odd.
Why do people allways think that hybrids are a compromise and not a choice?
Why do people think hybrids are cheap?
You are being a bit ignorant by forcing this narrowminded thinking-pattern upon us.

I do not want a roadbike because I can't do fields and forests with that stuff and my back can't take the hunched over position either.
I do not want a mountainbike because I never ride through actual wet mud or on actual mountains, yet I want to be fast and efficient on roads.
So I carefully weighed all the pros and contras of all the different bikes and their components like drivetrain, wheels, tyres, shifting, brakes, handlebar, .... and after months of tinkering and adjusting the design for my perfect bike ...

***drumroll***
I made myself a hybrid!

It cost me about $1000 and I love it very much.
It is not a compromise at all ... in fact if you would trade me any $4000 roadbike or mountainbike or crossbike for it I would immediately decline (given that I would have to keep driving the new bike and couldn't sell it or buy mine again ofcourse).

So you see: some people are simply not easily put in little boxes and like to think outside of the box.

You do realise that at least half of all the roadies and the mountainbikers never actually need their specific bikes for the riding they do with them, right?
With my bike I average 20mph on roads with max speeds of up to 30mph on the flats.
That is almost as good as many roadbikes.
With my bike I can keep speeds of 20mph on semi-bumpy tracks through fields and forests.
That is almost as good as many mountainbikes.
In fact ... I pass almost all the roadies I ever encounter on roads AND I pass almost all the mountainbikers I ever encounter offroad.

Last edited by AdelaaR; 10-21-10 at 01:58 PM.
AdelaaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 03:01 PM   #19
xoxoxoxoLive
Senior Member
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaaR View Post
Why do people allways think that hybrids are a compromise and not a choice?
Why do people think hybrids are cheap?
You are being a bit ignorant by forcing this narrowminded thinking-pattern upon us.

I do not want a roadbike because I can't do fields and forests with that stuff and my back can't take the hunched over position either.
I do not want a mountainbike because I never ride through actual wet mud or on actual mountains, yet I want to be fast and efficient on roads.
So I carefully weighed all the pros and contras of all the different bikes and their components like drivetrain, wheels, tyres, shifting, brakes, handlebar, .... and after months of tinkering and adjusting the design for my perfect bike ...

***drumroll***
I made myself a hybrid!

It cost me about $1000 and I love it very much.
It is not a compromise at all ... in fact if you would trade me any $4000 roadbike or mountainbike or crossbike for it I would immediately decline (given that I would have to keep driving the new bike and couldn't sell it or buy mine again ofcourse).

So you see: some people are simply not easily put in little boxes and like to think outside of the box.

You do realise that at least half of all the roadies and the mountainbikers never actually need their specific bikes for the riding they do with them, right?
With my bike I average 20mph on roads with max speeds of up to 30mph on the flats.
That is almost as good as many roadbikes.
With my bike I can keep speeds of 20mph on semi-bumpy tracks through fields and forests.
That is almost as good as many mountainbikes.
In fact ... I pass almost all the roadies I ever encounter on roads AND I pass almost all the mountainbikers I ever encounter offroad.
Nice post ! I was guilty of putting ( Hybrids in a little Box ), I choose to ride one, because my riding style,
go out on a road ride, then hit some kind of trail during the ride. But I am not a hard core Mountain Biker,
I guess Timber said it best, you can not really define one. If it does everything you need it to do, then it is a Hybrid. Cross blend multi purpose bike, and that may differ from one rider to another, depending on your
riding style. And for me, it was one that could move down the paved roads, but tackle pretty rough trails
with some mud, sand, rocks, etc.. But if you lived in the city, it might mean smaller tires for speed, gearing,
etc..with enough for groomed trails..And if someone gave me a 4000.00 dollar road bike, I would sell it to
buy a Hybrid, That did what I needed it to do, and I am asking a lot of mine, commuter, light touring, light MTB,
and not being a dog on the road...But am glad I have a back up bike now...Needed one..Richard
xoxoxoxoLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.