Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Gardiner, Maine
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What size trek fx 7.3 ?

    I am 5'11" male 32 inseam, what size Trek FX 7.3 should I be looking at?

  2. #2
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inseam won't get it - you need crotch to floor, in stocking feet. Likely a couple inches longer......

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  3. #3
    Senior Member KungPaoSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ms/Ca, USA,Earth.
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your torsol is longer than your lower half? i am 5' 7'' and my inseam is 33 inches,my bike is 17.5 in size,it fits perfect for me.go try a few and decide.good luck.
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My Bikes
    Specialized sequoia, Specialized Crossroads, Trek 700 multitrack, Electra Townie(Wifes), 2010 Trek 7.3 FX
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 6' and just bought a 7.3 two weeks ago. You need to stand over the top tube and see if the crotch clearance is good. I bought a 22.5 and the clearance is fine. Good luck, it's an awesome bike.

  5. #5
    Papaya King waynesworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
    My Bikes
    2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
    Posts
    1,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    I am 5'11" male 32 inseam, what size Trek FX 7.3 should I be looking at?
    I am also 5 11 with a 32 inch inseam. I bought a 22.5 Trek 7.3 FX last year and it fits me great.

    It's a great bike. I'm sure you'll love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    walk right in and punch the first guy you meet in the head
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Kona Jake, 2009 Felt X City D, 1984 (?) Trek 400, 1995 Trek 850

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Gardiner, Maine
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this on Trek's website: It shows that a 5'11" is a 20" bike, initial starting point.

    It is possible to come up with some rough guidelines based on height, but these are only an initial starting point for a proper fit consultation with your local dealer. Each person’s physical dimensions and attributes (i.e. arm length, torso length, femur length, flexibility, etc.) are slightly different and can lead to different frame size needs even for people of the same height. The chart below can be used to find a starting point for you.

    If you are in between two sizes it is often best to go with the smaller size. It is easier to make a smaller frame fit a little larger then it is to attempt the reverse. Fitting is an important process which directly affects the ride quality and comfort of a bike. Trek dealers are skilled at sizing and can help find the appropriate bike and size to fit each individual’s needs. If you need help finding a dealer in your area try clicking the “Find A Dealer” button on our website’s home page.


    Height
    Mountain/Hybrid Size

    5'2"
    13/14

    5'3"
    13/15

    5'6"
    16/18

    5'9"
    18/19

    5'11"
    19/21

    6'2"
    21/22

    6'3"
    22/25

    6'4"
    25
    Last edited by Hiker; 03-27-10 at 06:10 PM.

  7. #7
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne.
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am 5'6" and just bought a 17.5" Trek 7.5fx and it fits pretty well after a little adjustment to the seat and handlebar.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Gardiner, Maine
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Inseam won't get it - you need crotch to floor, in stocking feet. Likely a couple inches longer......
    Yup, just what you posted, floor to crotch is longer by 2 inches, 34" not 32" - Thanks Wanderer

  9. #9
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " initial starting point." is key here!

    Your real inseam is the thing that matters here --- If you like to ride more stretched out, with maybe a little more lean (more than straight up) you might find the taller (and longer) bike beneficial. If you like to ride more "scrunched up" like the proverbial monkey ********** the football, go with the smaller.

    My advice, ride 'em both, making sure to set both seats the same height, with the same pressure in all tires, and then decide. Even a short parking lot spin will make one of them jump out at you as the most comfortable.

    Buy that one!

    Technically (according to measurements) I shoud be riding a 58. Riding the 58, and the 61, back to back - the difference was dramatic. For me, the 61 was head and shoulders above the 58 in comfort, all the way around. The 58 felt very cramped, even though it was right. I bought the 61, and have been very happy with that decision.

    Ride as many as you can, and buy the one that fits "you" the best - it's not always the one someone tries to direct you to.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  10. #10
    Papaya King waynesworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
    My Bikes
    2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
    Posts
    1,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    " initial starting point." is key here!

    Your real inseam is the thing that matters here --- If you like to ride more stretched out, with maybe a little more lean (more than straight up) you might find the taller (and longer) bike beneficial. If you like to ride more "scrunched up" like the proverbial monkey ********** the football, go with the smaller.

    My advice, ride 'em both, making sure to set both seats the same height, with the same pressure in all tires, and then decide. Even a short parking lot spin will make one of them jump out at you as the most comfortable.

    Buy that one!

    Technically (according to measurements) I shoud be riding a 58. Riding the 58, and the 61, back to back - the difference was dramatic. For me, the 61 was head and shoulders above the 58 in comfort, all the way around. The 58 felt very cramped, even though it was right. I bought the 61, and have been very happy with that decision.

    Ride as many as you can, and buy the one that fits "you" the best - it's not always the one someone tries to direct you to.
    +1
    I bought my 7.3 used. When the guy said it was 22.5, I almost told him I wasn't interested. Then I rode it and it felt great.

    I do not understand bike geometry, and don't pretend to, and I am constantly amazed at how seemingly similar bikes can feel so different.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    walk right in and punch the first guy you meet in the head
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Kona Jake, 2009 Felt X City D, 1984 (?) Trek 400, 1995 Trek 850

  11. #11
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    Found this on Trek's website: It shows that a 5'11" is a 20" bike, initial starting point.
    My LBS initially set me up with 20 inch bike, but I never was happy with it, even after several mods, and now my fleet consists of 22+ inch frames.

    After test riding a 20 inch, also try out a larger 22.5 inch version.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •