Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-10, 09:09 AM   #1
Norboo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Norboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Bikes: Trek 5200 and Trek D.S. 8.6
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Build your Ultimate hybrid

Build your Ultimate hybrid

Let’s dream a little dream and do a little drooling while we’re at it. What would make the ultimate Hybrid for you?
Norboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 09:10 AM   #2
Norboo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Norboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Bikes: Trek 5200 and Trek D.S. 8.6
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine:
Crosstrail frame in steel, light shocks,
Not sure on the gearing and shifters yet.
Light disc brakes
some nice wheels and 35mm tires
Norboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:01 AM   #3
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
STRONG wheels, and 35-40mm tires, capable of 125-140 PSI.

V-Brakes are fine with me - llight and work very well.

OEM, read color matched, fenders (at least as an option.)

9 spd, minimum - with a 30-40-50 chainrings.

Lots of adjustability for seat posts, seat, bars, etc.

More integrated racks, and mount points. Both front, and rear.

More "water bottle type" mount points for everything from pumps to more water bottles (is 3 really enough for a LONG ride?).

More flat, straight, sections on bars for mounting stuff.

Aluminum frames are fine with me, even though there are some real lightweight steel frames available.

Handlebar lockout controls, on bikes with suspensions. For quick and easy changes. And, while there - easily maintainable and rebuildable front suspensions - you really should replace that oil, and put gaitors on the sliders to keep 'em cleaner.

GOOD, performance, flat resistant tires, like Schwalbe Marathon Supremes as OEM.

Integrated kickstand mounts (and, while you are at it - good seatstay and chainstay bridges for mounting fenders) with WIDE stays for any tires.

Pedals with zerks, for regreasing . Should make em last forever.

Better chains, with real "bushings" to cut down on wear. Chains today, are a real joke!

Any bicycle suspension (front, rear, seat, etc) should be able to be totally locked out.




You asked!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:10 AM   #4
nymtber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY state
Bikes: See Signature...
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm...Mine:

-A light steel frame, Reynolds 531
-Cro-Moly/Reynolds fork
-V-brakes..they are light and have a high stopping power for my needs
-Shimano LX crankset with 28/38/48 gears XT rear derailleur, LX front, LX shifters.
-11-28 9spd cassette
-SRAM Chain
-Ultegra hubs laced to Sun CR-18 Or Alex DA28 rims with Wheelsmith double butted spokes (I will handbuild these myself)
-Planet Bike Hardcore Road fenders
-Michelin Krylion 700x25c tires
-Flat bar, round grips, Bar ends, Mirror.
-Clipless pedals...
-Specialized Body Geometry Saddle of some sort, they are awesome!

And, of course, I would do the build work myself, because its fun

My sirrus is going to see some changes this next winter, at least change out cassette and switch to trigger shifters. Maybe go 9spd. It came with an 11-32 cassette, I am thinking of going 11-28 to gain some closer gear ratios in there. I rarely use less than the second biggest cog anyway.
nymtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 11:05 AM   #5
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,645
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
IF I could ever afford it, would be this (ordered with a fairly high spec.); otherwise, I'll stick with my Sirrus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikeravensporttour.jpg (25.8 KB, 38 views)
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 03:15 AM   #6
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Bikes:
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ultimate hybrid is the one that is standing in my garage at the moment:

Aluminium 7005 frame
Suntour Cr9v suspension fork
Suspension seapost & selle royal gel athletic saddle
Blackjack 622 wheelset with Schwalbe CX comp tyres 700x35
Shimano 105 crank 30-42-52
Shimano SLX cassette 11-28 9-speed
Shimano HG73 chain
SRAM attack gripshifts
Shimano R443 front derailleur
Shimano XT M770 rapid rise rear derailleur
Shimano XT M770 brake levers, brakes & cables
FSA XC 180 flatbar
Ritchey 30° stem 80mm
Ritchey pro barends ergo
Ritchey truegrip grips
Profile Design jammer GT aerobar

If I had an unlimited budget I would probably get an ultegra crank, but for it's price, this is the best hybrid I could think of
AdelaaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 09:45 AM   #7
Exocet 98
Senior Member
 
Exocet 98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaaR View Post
My ultimate hybrid is the one that is standing in my garage at the moment:

Aluminium 7005 frame
Suntour Cr9v suspension fork
Suspension seapost & selle royal gel athletic saddle
Blackjack 622 wheelset with Schwalbe CX comp tyres 700x35
Shimano 105 crank 30-42-52
Shimano SLX cassette 11-28 9-speed
Shimano HG73 chain
SRAM attack gripshifts
Shimano R443 front derailleur
Shimano XT M770 rapid rise rear derailleur
Shimano XT M770 brake levers, brakes & cables
FSA XC 180 flatbar
Ritchey 30° stem 80mm
Ritchey pro barends ergo
Ritchey truegrip grips
Profile Design jammer GT aerobar

If I had an unlimited budget I would probably get an ultegra crank, but for it's price, this is the best hybrid I could think of
Average budget build at best, hardly elite.
Exocet 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 02:51 AM   #8
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Bikes:
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet 98 View Post
Average budget build at best, hardly elite.
If you call this average, your view of reality is distorted
I did mention that I took the parameter "price" into the equation.
Doing it full carbon and with an XTR & Dura Ace mix would ofcourse build a more "elite" bike, but it would also triple the price or more while only getting maybe a kilo or two off.
Since weight is -contrary to popular belief- not a very important factor, I don't think anyone who isn't a pro doing high-level races actually needs top-of-the-line components beyond LX or 105.
AdelaaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 07:43 AM   #9
Exocet 98
Senior Member
 
Exocet 98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaaR View Post
If you call this average, your view of reality is distorted
I did mention that I took the parameter "price" into the equation.
Doing it full carbon and with an XTR & Dura Ace mix would ofcourse build a more "elite" bike, but it would also triple the price or more while only getting maybe a kilo or two off.
Since weight is -contrary to popular belief- not a very important factor, I don't think anyone who isn't a pro doing high-level races actually needs top-of-the-line components beyond LX or 105.
As i said these budget restricted components don't not fall into the "ultimate build category".
Exocet 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 08:30 AM   #10
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet 98 View Post
As i said these budget restricted components don't not fall into the "ultimate build category".
I think you missed the point of the OP - which was to "make the ultimate Hybrid FOR YOU!"

Your views may be different, but it hardly qualifies you to decide what someone else considers their ultimate hybrid.

MHO
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.