Accessorizing 7.7 FX
Just bought a new 2010 7.7 FX - need help accessorizing it (quality, price doesn't really matter much).
1. Want a comfy seat but still look sleak with this bike. I've read from here that the Fly Tri Gel Saddle by Terry is nice?
2. Wireless computer. Should I get a Bontrager Computer because there is an area in the fork to hook it up?
3. Combo pedal, because, sometimes I'll ride in areas with a lot of stop signs and lights, so I'd like to stay with a platform for that. But I want the ability to clip in when I can get out on the open road, or paved trails. Any suggestions? Not afraid to pay for quality.
4. 2 bottle cages. I bought the Bontrager Race Lite Cage for my down tube. I want another cage for my seat tube. From what I can tell, I don't think the Bontrager Race Lite Cage will fit on the seat tube with a cage on the down tube. My bike is 22.5 frame. Has anyone tried using 2 bike cages on this bike? What fits?
just pokin' along
1. Whatever feels good to you.
2. The recessed cutout for the speedtrap sensor is a selling point for a [supposedly] cleaner look. But I believe you'll need to purchase both the sensor and the computer separately, which does add up. For less than half the price, you can go with a cateye strada wireless and have a very reliable unit that is simple to install and setup and still looks sharp, despite Trek's weak stab at cable ties.
3. Clipping in/out at stops isn't difficult, especially with SPDs. One good SPD/platform combo pedal is the Shimano A530, though.
4. Two cages will fit fine.
5. Consider dropping a few more dollars for some Ergon GC2 (or similar) grips if you ride enough miles. Not cheap, but money well spent.
1. Stick with the stock saddle for a few rides...it may work for you. Comfort is the critical thing here.
2. Cateye V2c or Garmin Edge 500. I have both. What I really like is that there is a single chainstay unit that measures both speed and cadence. Personally I prefer the Garmin because you can upload everything to Garmin Connect or other software. But the Cateye is dead simple to use. Forget about the Bontrager "speedtrap".
3. Shimano just put out the A600 pedal. It is a combo. Appears similar to the A530 but about half the weight. If price is no object, this one is top-of-the-line. Look for it online at Universal Cycles (one of my favorite places to buy components).
Congrats on your 7.7FX!!
just pokin' along
The A600 does not have a platform side. It's an upgraded version of the A520...not A530.
Bought a Cateye Strada double wireless computer.
I'm thinking of getting the Ergon grips. What's the difference between the GC2, GC3, GR2? Which should I get?