Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-10, 10:21 AM   #1
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys! Anyone own or test ride a Giant Rapid 1 bike or a Norco VFR 1?

I'm looking at a fast road bike. It seems flat bar road bikes are less expensive than drop bar bikes. I'm 6'3" and weigh 185. Its not for commuting, its just to have fun and go fast. Have you guys tried the Giant Rapid 1??? Have you guys tried the Norco VFR 1? Can't decide between the 2 bikes. Thanks. Rich.
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 11:11 AM   #2
Talldog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbloem View Post
I'm looking at a fast road bike. It seems flat bar road bikes are less expensive than drop bar bikes. I'm 6'3" and weigh 185. Its not for commuting, its just to have fun and go fast. Have you guys tried the Giant Rapid 1??? Have you guys tried the Norco VFR 1? Can't decide between the 2 bikes. Thanks. Rich.
Can't speak for the Norco but I have test ridden the Rapid. It is a very, very nice bike and would seem to fit the criteria you have established. I have a Giant FCR1 which the Rapid replaced and am very satisfied. Giant provides very good value and engineer excellent bikes. It is also one of the few hybrids that come standard with so-called compact road gearing. Very fast. It is very much what is referred to as a flat bar road bike as opposed to some other designs. But fit and feel play an important role in bike choice. Have you test rode both ?
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:30 PM   #3
irclean
Born Again Pagan
 
irclean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my Norco! It's not a VFR, but the geometry is similar. Even though it's steel and IGH-equipped (and therefore heavier than the VFR) it feels like a speed demon compared to my other bikes. It seems effortless to get it up to speed and far easier to keep it there. Here's a nice write-up on the VFR 4: http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/node/80269
irclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 01:13 PM   #4
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Can't speak for the Norco but I have test ridden the Rapid. It is a very, very nice bike and would seem to fit the criteria you have established. I have a Giant FCR1 which the Rapid replaced and am very satisfied. Giant provides very good value and engineer excellent bikes. It is also one of the few hybrids that come standard with so-called compact road gearing. Very fast. It is very much what is referred to as a flat bar road bike as opposed to some other designs. But fit and feel play an important role in bike choice. Have you test rode both ?
I test rode a Norco VFR 3. Nice. For the Giant Rapid 1, how are these specs? Is this the same specs as you Giant? Thanks. Rich

frame ALUXX-Grade aluminum
fork Advanced-Grade Composite, alloy OverDrive steerer
handlebar Giant Connect, flat 31.8mm
stem Giant Connect
seatpost Giant Connect SL, composite, 30.9mm
saddle Selle Royal Seta
pedals Shimano M505 clipless
shifter Shimano R440
front derailleur Shimano R440
rear derailleur Shimano 105
brakes Shimano Dual Pivot, Long Reach
brake levers Tektro RS388
cassette Shimano HG50, 12-25T, 9SPD
chain KMC HG73
cranks Shimano Tiagra, compact 34/50T
bb Shimano external
rims Mavic CXP22, [F]:24H, [R]:28H
hubs Formula alloy
spokes Sapim Race, 14g
tires Kenda Kriterium, 700x25c
extras Alloy bar-ends
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 01:57 PM   #5
Talldog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbloem View Post
I test rode a Norco VFR 3. Nice. For the Giant Rapid 1, how are these specs? Is this the same specs as you Giant? Thanks. Rich

frame ALUXX-Grade aluminum
fork Advanced-Grade Composite, alloy OverDrive steerer
handlebar Giant Connect, flat 31.8mm
stem Giant Connect
seatpost Giant Connect SL, composite, 30.9mm
saddle Selle Royal Seta
pedals Shimano M505 clipless
shifter Shimano R440
front derailleur Shimano R440
rear derailleur Shimano 105
brakes Shimano Dual Pivot, Long Reach
brake levers Tektro RS388
cassette Shimano HG50, 12-25T, 9SPD
chain KMC HG73
cranks Shimano Tiagra, compact 34/50T
bb Shimano external
rims Mavic CXP22, [F]:24H, [R]:28H
hubs Formula alloy
spokes Sapim Race, 14g
tires Kenda Kriterium, 700x25c
extras Alloy bar-ends
Similar, but there are some changes. The Rapid has gone back to road type brakes whereas the FCR used V-brakes. Some changes to the rear gear cluster, etc. The frame was redesigned for the Rapids and if anything appears a little more road oriented. The head tubes are slightly shorter as is the wheelbase I think. Best to check on that though. For comparison here are the component specs for the 2009 FCR1.

SIZES XS,S,M,L,XL
COLORS White/Black/Silver
FRAME ALUXX-Grade Aluminum
FORK Advanced-Grade Composite / Alloy Steer
SHOCK N/A
HANDLEBAR Alloy, flat, 25.4mm w/ bar ends
STEM 3D Forged, 25.4mm, 17 deg
SEATPOST Giant Composite, 27.2x370mm
SADDLE Giant Unity Venture
PEDALS Crank Brothers Smarty
SHIFTERS Shimano R440, 9SPD
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano R440
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
BRAKES Tektro alloy, direct-pull
BRAKE LEVERS Tektro alloy, direct-pull
CASSETTE SRAM PG-950, 11-28T, 9SPD
CHAIN Shimano HG-73
CRANKSET Shimano 4550, compact 34/50T
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano, external

RIMS Mavic CXP22, F: 24H/ R: 28H
HUBS Formula, alloy, sealed
SPOKES 14G Sapim Race
TIRES Kenda Kontender, 700x26C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCR-1-700..jpg (59.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Talldog; 09-06-10 at 02:13 PM.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 03:02 PM   #6
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I've test ridden both; as it happens, my choice came down to the Rapid 1 or the Sirrus Comp. I went with the latter simply because I found it very slightly more comfortable, and preferred the v-brakes to road calipers.
In my view, both the bikes you mention are excellent -- but they are a little different. The Norcos are slightly more relaxed in their geometry, whereas the Giant Rapid series really is simply a Giant Defy (road bike) with the top tube slightly lengthened (for a given size) better to suit flat bars. Essentially the same frame/frame material. I prefer the Rapid (to the VFR), but that's just me. I also second Talldog's view: Giants are unbeatable re. value for money.
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 07:01 PM   #7
Dbl E GT
Senior Member
 
Dbl E GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.3
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbloem View Post
I'm looking at a fast road bike. It seems flat bar road bikes are less expensive than drop bar bikes. I'm 6'3" and weigh 185. Its not for commuting, its just to have fun and go fast. Have you guys tried the Giant Rapid 1??? Have you guys tried the Norco VFR 1? Can't decide between the 2 bikes. Thanks. Rich.
Just bought the Rapid 1 .... Here it is. Believe me, I searched long and hard for the perfect bike. Nothing came close in this price range for quality components (Shimano crank, brakes, 105 RD), weight (20.1 lbs), and looks. Plus, take a good look at the frame. There are no stickers that you can feel on the frame. Its all clearcoated over for a smooth finish. Also, remember Giant make all their own stuff at their own factories. How many biclycle manufacterers can say that anymore today?

Just waiting on the bottle cage, bottle, and seatbag......
Dbl E GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 10:41 AM   #8
TomD77
Senior Member
 
TomD77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida Panhandle
Bikes:
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode the offerings from Giant and Trex in the category but I ended up with a Bianchi Camaleonte. I rode the Giant and Bianchi back to back and the handling and ride qualities of the Bianchi were perfect for me. Prices on all three were the same. I hear that Giant makes most of the frames on the market anyway.
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 07:27 PM   #9
Dbl E GT
Senior Member
 
Dbl E GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.3
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By the way, I'm 6' 2", and this bike fits me like a glove. Got the XL size, and so glad I did !!
Also, really love the bar-ends. Allows me to alter my hand position quite nicely. Already have over 100 miles on the bike !! A GREAT PURCHASE !!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...nt/3875/36255/
Dbl E GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 08:58 PM   #10
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys. Its done. I ordered a 2010 Giant Rapid 1 today. Thanks for all the input and advice. Can't wait! Its getting shipped to my local bike shop this week!
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 10:26 PM   #11
irclean
Born Again Pagan
 
irclean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The small, but very passionate & vocal Norco Lover's Group let out a collective wail of despair.

BTW congrats on your new purchase!
irclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 09:05 AM   #12
Dbl E GT
Senior Member
 
Dbl E GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.3
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbloem View Post
Hey guys. Its done. I ordered a 2010 Giant Rapid 1 today. Thanks for all the input and advice. Can't wait! Its getting shipped to my local bike shop this week!
GREAT MOVE ! You'll LOVE it !!
Dbl E GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 09:08 AM   #13
Dbl E GT
Senior Member
 
Dbl E GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.3
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl E GT View Post
GREAT MOVE ! You'll LOVE it !!
Also, one more thing..... I had my LBS switch out the stock hand grips (uncomfortable) with Ergo grips .... what a difference that made.... very nice to grab onto and ergonomically correct !
Dbl E GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 09:54 AM   #14
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice Bike!!!! Make sure you report back after some riding ---- really nicely equiped, and nice lookin!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 10:49 AM   #15
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What type of grips do you have? The kind that is skinny, than gets really wide or flared out for your palms?
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 10:54 AM   #16
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2 year old Norco Mountaineer that I love. I still like Norco, big time. If the Norco was the same price that I got the Rapid for, well than who knows?
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 10:59 AM   #17
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl E GT View Post
Also, one more thing..... I had my LBS switch out the stock hand grips (uncomfortable) with Ergo grips .... what a difference that made.... very nice to grab onto and ergonomically correct !
Just wondering. Does the Rapid 1 have carbon forks. Looking at the specs, it doesn't. Unless I read it wrong.
Also how much does a Rapid 1 weigh anyways. Thanks.
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 11:52 AM   #18
EsoxLucius
Senior Member
 
EsoxLucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western Wisconsin
Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Giant Rapid 1 has a composite fork with an alloy steerer. I am assuming the composite material is carbon fiber.
The Giant Rapid 1 weighs 20.12 lbs.
EsoxLucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 06:29 PM   #19
Dbl E GT
Senior Member
 
Dbl E GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.3
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbloem View Post
What type of grips do you have? The kind that is skinny, than gets really wide or flared out for your palms?
Not sure the brand, but the kind that flare out for your palms, also kind of flatish. A great feel, plus the stock bar ends are a nice standard feature!) really help with hand fatigue that you'll get eventually on any bike. Make sure you adjust the bar ends, though. Mine had to be loosened, then pushed forward for true comfort.

By the way, what price did you get it for?
Dbl E GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 10:41 PM   #20
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl E GT View Post
Not sure the brand, but the kind that flare out for your palms, also kind of flatish. A great feel, plus the stock bar ends are a nice standard feature!) really help with hand fatigue that you'll get eventually on any bike. Make sure you adjust the bar ends, though. Mine had to be loosened, then pushed forward for true comfort.

By the way, what price did you get it for?
Taxed in $1060 Canadian.
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:39 PM   #21
Exit3
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swamps of Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any chance we could see some real world Rapid 1 pics? I hate the generic white backgrounds on the company websites. Their true beauty comes out in real worl pics
Exit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 06:38 PM   #22
Dbl E GT
Senior Member
 
Dbl E GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.3
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit3 View Post
any chance we could see some real world Rapid 1 pics? I hate the generic white backgrounds on the company websites. Their true beauty comes out in real worl pics
Here you go .... took about 3 days ago...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 Giant Rapid 1.jpg (55.8 KB, 57 views)
Dbl E GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 08:00 PM   #23
Exit3
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swamps of Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
now THAT'S a quick response!! Thanks for the pic. I have benn thinking FX or Sirrus but lately I have been digging the Rapid !.

Go Jersey!
Exit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 08:50 PM   #24
rbloem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl E GT View Post
Here you go .... took about 3 days ago...

I just got my bike home today! Pictures don't do this bike justice at all!! Holy sh@t it looks sleek!
Anyways, whats the best way to store this bike in my garage? My Norco mtb hangs upside down "horizontal" with 2 bike hooks - 1 hook for each rim. Should I do this with the rapid? Or is this a bad idea? Thanks.
rbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 07:13 AM   #25
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Store it under your body, preferrably rolling!

Yes, that storage will be fine.

Nice looking bike!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.