Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Thisguy
Have any of you guys put on smaller tires on your fx to pick up speed? If you have... how did it perform, and what size? I will be getting one soon and am thinking of putting on 28c tires. Good Idea or bad?
1. You can make a meaningful comparison
if, and only if
, you are talking about two otherwise identical tires (same mfg/model/construction) differing only by width.
2. If (1) is the case, then you will not be 'faster' in any real
sense with 28s as opposed to 32s, subject to the following qualifications.
3. You will 'feel' faster if, as you should, you run the 28s at slightly higher pressure, simply because you'll feel every imperfection in the road surface that little bit more (the 'go kart' effect -- 30 real mph 'feels' way faster in a kart than in, say, a Lexus).
4. You may, or may not, notice a very slight increase in acceleration; by definition the rotating mass of a 28 is slightly less than that of its otherwise identical 32 counterpart.
5. You may, depending on the road surfaces you ride, find the (properly inflated) 28 is actually
slightly slower (more rolling resistance) over uneven surfaces than its 32 counterpart.
6. Of course, you may be capable of riding for sustained periods at speeds usually only attained by pros and elite/Cat 1 riders
In that case, the tiny
'aero' advantage of 28s (over 32s) may have enormous significance for you, and be worth the slightly increased rolling resistance and slightly rougher ride.