Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-11, 05:45 PM   #1
danielle.
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 2011 Trek 820 on Craigslist

I'm a college student looking to upgrade my bike. I've been saving for a Trek 7.2 FX WSD. (Mostly because it looks just like the purple Trek I had when I was a kid... ) I checked with my my local bike shop and it'll be a bit over $580 with taxes. I'm a bit hesitant to spend almost $600 on a bike so I've been checking Craigslist.

Someone is currently selling a women's 2011 Trek 820 (16") that is practically brand new. "Rode up and down the road twice. Never seen dirt." They are asking $225 for it. Is this a reasonable price? They state that it is negotiable. What would be a good price to pay?

I realize it is technically a mountain bike, but I'll be using whichever bike I ultimately by for trails and riding to class.

I'm not really sure if this is the type of bike I need. So I come to you, BikeForums. If you have any other suggestions on bikes at a reasonable price, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for any help!
danielle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 06:04 PM   #2
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds fair, but I wouldn't pay more than 60% of original retail price for used sports equipment, as a matter of principle. Offer $200 cash.
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 06:39 PM   #3
Triode
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dunno.

I'm real new at this.

So, I asked my buddy that rides road bikes, has four or five bikes, and rides 100 miles or so a week.

Among other things, he said " I can't stress to you the importance of buying close to home" you're going to take it in for adjustments.

I bought a Trek FX 7.3

Three rides ( about 75 miles total ) has equaled three trips to the dealer for minor adjustments, which the dealer readily took care of with a smile and while I waited. Actually, they were so good about it, eager to help, that I have been somewhat surprised.

My point is - ridden twice, it's going to need breaking in, adjusting.

Besides, on Craig'slist, everybody prices it high - usually knowing they will come down.

Way to do it, IMO - go over with $150 cash - don't take more with you in case you weaken.

Say, I dunno, I;m not sure - it may need breaking in, adjustments, etc. offer them $ 150 and don't pay more.

Hey, an full tuneup is supposed to run about $70.

You don't want to pay a fair price, you want to pay a price where you know you won't be hurt.

If they don't want to take it, look elsewhere.

JMO. since you asked

Do _not_ offer a check.

Take cash - when you make the offer, take the cash out and hold the money in your hand - leave it out there where then can see it - keep holding it, kind of wave and gesture with it - you would be surprised how often the actual sight of cash will do the deal.

Won't work with a dealer, and won't work all the time - but you would be surprised - if you just keep talking, in general or about the bike, and repeat that's all you've got, while leaving it in full view - hehe, often works

Last edited by Triode; 07-18-11 at 07:25 PM.
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 07:28 PM   #4
danielle.
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I dunno.

I'm real new at this.

So, I asked my buddy that rides road bikes, has four or five bikes, and rides 100 miles or so a week.

Among other things, he said " I can't stress to you the importance of buying close to home" you're going to take it in for adjustments.

I bought a Trek FX 7.3

Three rides ( about 75 miles total ) has equaled three trips to the dealer for minor adjustments, which the dealer readily took care of with a smile and while I waited. Actually, they were so good about it, eager to help, that I have been somewhat surprised.

My point is - ridden twice, it's going to need breaking in, adjusting.

Besides, on Craig'slist, everybody prices it high - usually knowing they will come down.

Way to do it, IMO - go over with $150 cash - don't take more with you in case you weaken.

Say, I dunno, I;m not sure - it may need breaking in, adjustments, etc. offer them $ 150 and don't pay more.

Hey, an full tuneup is supposed to run about $70.

You don't want to pay a fair price, you want to pay a price where you know you won't be hurt.

If they don't want to take it, look elsewhere.

JMO. since you asked

Do _not_ offer a check.

Take cash - when you make the offer, take the cash out and hold the money in your hand - leave it out there where then can see it - keep holding it, kind of wave and gesture with it - you would be surprised how often the actual sight of cash will do the deal.

Won't work with a dealer, and won't work all the time - but you would be surprised - if you just keep talking, in general or about the bike, and repeat that's all you've got, while leaving it in full view - hehe, often works
Ugh, this is where I'm pretty torn. Currently, I'm living 150+ miles from my apartment in the city where my "local" bike shop is. They only have one Trek 7.2 in the color and size I want left at the shop. Then, apparently the 2012 models are coming out. (I wouldn't be totally heartbroken if I had to buy a 2012, but I prefer the 2011.) Anyway, I talked to them and I can purchase the last 2011 right now through their website and it'll be ready when I get back into the city next month. Great, if I had the $580+ in my Bike Fund. I can also put down a deposit but I don't know how I feel about mailing money.

I am definitely thinking of just waiting until I have the money to buy a 7.2. (DREAM bike ) If I get the 2011, awesome! If not, I'll certainly be just as excited about the 2012. And as you stated, it's important to buy close to home. And I'll be close to my bike shop when I need anything as it's literally right down the street.

I'm just not sure if the 7.2 is "too much" bike for me. I don't ride 100+ miles a week like many people on this forum do. I'll probably still ride my current bike to class in case my bike gets stolen. I also don't want a new and expensive bike sitting in the rain and snow. Basically, I don't know how many miles I'll be putting on the 7.2. I'm a (crazy) science major and don't have free time during the semester to just go out and ride.

Also, the 820 seems like it'll be better in all the snow we get during the winter. And it's low price is extremely attractive. I'd love to only pay $150 for the bike. I think I may offer the $150 cash and if they don't take it, I'll move on.

Thank you for all the help. I didn't think of how I'd need to pay for a tune up. I don't want to put tons of money into the bike when I could have just used it to buy a 7.2.

Sorry for the novel, just kind of thinking out loud here.
danielle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 08:35 PM   #5
Triode
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle. View Post
I think I may offer the $150 cash and if they don't take it, I'll move on.
Sounds good to me.

You want to buy it at a price that if disappointed, problems with the bike, or stolen - you're not out much, and it doesn't hurt your feelings.

Buyers and sellers come in all sizes, shapes and personalities.

Craigslist sellers in my experience, generally either want more than the item is worth, or just want to get rid of it and get some cash, and while they would like to get a certain number - if the cash is in front of them they will often take noticeably less.

You never know till you try, and it doesn't cost much effort to try.

I garage my bike, so never think much about it being stolen. If theft is a potential major issue for a college student, probably better to wait till you are out of school to get your dream bike, lest your dream bike be stolen.
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 07:34 AM   #6
princealyy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would watch CL for a 7.2 FX ... you would be surprised, my wife just recently wanted a trek... I couldnt get her the 7.2FX, but did get her a 2011 7.1FX w/ lights, helmet, lock for 285$ ... and I think that was a great deal... and the bike was basically new, no need for adjustment, just a lube & clean and ready to roll ...
princealyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 09:29 AM   #7
KungPaoSchwinn
Senior Member
 
KungPaoSchwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ms/Ca, USA,Earth.
Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mind to show the link to Craigslist?
KungPaoSchwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 10:55 AM   #8
danielle.
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by princealyy View Post
I would watch CL for a 7.2 FX ... you would be surprised, my wife just recently wanted a trek... I couldnt get her the 7.2FX, but did get her a 2011 7.1FX w/ lights, helmet, lock for 285$ ... and I think that was a great deal... and the bike was basically new, no need for adjustment, just a lube & clean and ready to roll ...
What a deal! It seems like the Craigslist area by my school has some good prices on some nice bikes so it's definitely probable that I could find a 7.2FX at some point. To be honest, I didn't even think to check there. Thanks
danielle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 10:58 AM   #9
danielle.
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoSchwinn View Post
Mind to show the link to Craigslist?
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bik/2500996352.html
danielle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 07:15 PM   #10
Triode
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would go try them both and ride the men's too.

My daughter-in-law rides a mens. She says it fits her better.

She's hard to keep up with on it.
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 PM.