Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-11, 04:13 PM   #1
Adam Hicks
Member
Thread Starter
 
Adam Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flat Bar Brakes and Shifters on Drops?

Has this ever been done? Is it even possible and what concerns would the group have about converting? I'd love to have a couple more positions available and this seems like a very low cost way to achieve that. If anyone has any pics I would greatly appreciate it!!
Adam Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 05:13 PM   #2
RollCNY
Speechless
 
RollCNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central NY
Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,
Posts: 8,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Google drop bar ends. You can add these to make flats like drops. Flat bars are a different dia than drops, so interchange can be Kloodgy
RollCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 05:44 PM   #3
tom d
Junior Member
 
tom d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought some drop bar ends for my flat bar. Very comfy. See this thread for a pic of my bike.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...zed-Crosstrail
Nashbar does sell brake levers for the application, cheap price too. If you chose to buy a drop handlebar for your neck/stem clamp that fits and you buy the cheap brake levers, your shifters will not make it around the drop bar curves, they will snap. Also you may need to buy longer brake cables as the levers will be further away from the original spot on your flat bar.
So either do it like me and buy the 20.00 drop bar ends on ebay and that's it. Or buy the brake levers as well as the drop bar ends and thats it, (now you are up to around 60.00) or buy a new drop bar and also spend at least 100.00+ on a pair of brake/shifter combos. Now your into a little money.
Me? I bought the drop bar ends and thats it. Aside from a rigid fork swap, I will save the rest of the money for a real road bike if I choose to.

Good luck!!
tom d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 05:47 PM   #4
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you want more positions, get a copy of the Kama Sutra.
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 05:55 AM   #5
tchen510
Senior Member
 
tchen510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a conversion, for $50. The bars, i got used at a recycle store, and were $15. I got brakes also used, for $20, although i could have gotten new on amazon for $25. I had to buy new cables for the brakes, which were ~$10. To attach my shifters, I first tried bench grinding the bars, to no avail. I also tried prying the shifters open, but the problem is the difference in diameters. In the end I used a piece of metal, that fit in the bars, and shimmed it so it was large enough for the shifters.

It works surprisingly well, and is much cheaper that the other conversions.
However, the drop bar clip-ons will also work.
Good Luck!
tchen510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:13 AM   #6
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aero road brake levers do not pull enough cable to work well with V-brakes.
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:15 AM   #7
tchen510
Senior Member
 
tchen510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
Aero road brake levers do not pull enough cable to work well with V-brakes.
Generally, they don't, unless they are specifically designed for V brakes. Tektro and Cane Creek make a model that can be used for both.
tchen510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:33 AM   #8
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,692
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
stem shifters are available for cheap or some people just move their trigger shifters out next to the brake hoods and just do that. brifters are not necessary.
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 08:48 AM   #9
Adam Hicks
Member
Thread Starter
 
Adam Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am most interested in just leaving the shifters and brakes on the flats of the drop bars similar to where they would be on flat bars. Am I understanding this is not practical because of the diameter of the bars? Thanks!
Adam Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 09:20 AM   #10
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just use flat bar ends set up like bull horns. it's not quite as good as drops but much easier and cheaper


Last edited by frantik; 09-17-11 at 09:24 AM.
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 09:49 AM   #11
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
If you want more positions, get a copy of the Kama Sutra.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If I was drinking anything, I would have spit it out on my keyboard.
AlphaDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 11:32 AM   #12
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
You don't have to convert to drops to gain more hand positions. Though the drop bar ends have been mentioned already, I'd go a slightly different route- I'd get something like these. Of course, getting a Nashbar Trekking bar would give you about as many hand positions as you'd ever really need...
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 05:05 PM   #13
Talldog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom d View Post
I bought some drop bar ends for my flat bar. Very comfy. See this thread for a pic of my bike.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...zed-Crosstrail
Nashbar does sell brake levers for the application, cheap price too. If you chose to buy a drop handlebar for your neck/stem clamp that fits and you buy the cheap brake levers, your shifters will not make it around the drop bar curves, they will snap. Also you may need to buy longer brake cables as the levers will be further away from the original spot on your flat bar.
So either do it like me and buy the 20.00 drop bar ends on ebay and that's it. Or buy the brake levers as well as the drop bar ends and thats it, (now you are up to around 60.00) or buy a new drop bar and also spend at least 100.00+ on a pair of brake/shifter combos. Now your into a little money.
Me? I bought the drop bar ends and thats it. Aside from a rigid fork swap, I will save the rest of the money for a real road bike if I choose to.

Good luck!!
Do you actually ride around in the drop bar position much ?? Those drop bar end things are cheesy. And, what is a "real" road bike ? Give me a break ...
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 05:38 PM   #14
Adam Hicks
Member
Thread Starter
 
Adam Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a pic of that Nashbar Trekking Bar installed? Looks wild!
Adam Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:16 PM   #15
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hicks View Post
Does anyone have a pic of that Nashbar Trekking Bar installed? Looks wild!
There's plenty around here, but it may easier to view the Novara Safari from REI, as it comes stock with bars that are really, really close....
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:52 PM   #16
tom d
Junior Member
 
tom d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Do you actually ride around in the drop bar position much ?? Those drop bar end things are cheesy. And, what is a "real" road bike ? Give me a break ...
They are not cheesey actually, Very comfy and I use them often now that i have them on. What I meant by a real road bike is one that has road bike geometry, better components, lighter overal, shifters and brakes on the bars ect ect .
Do all of you canadiens behave like this? Funny on a different thread I got warm welcome to this site. I guess you were not one of them.
Amazing when folks are not in front of you what they will say.

Last edited by CbadRider; 09-18-11 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment.
tom d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:39 PM   #17
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hicks View Post
Does anyone have a pic of that Nashbar Trekking Bar installed? Looks wild!
Pulled this off of google images...

AlphaDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:58 PM   #18
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,692
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Pulled this off of google images...

I wonder if putting normal mtb brake levers on the part nearest the seat and then cyclocross style interrupter levers up at the most aero position would work to give two different braking positions. It seems where the shift levers are in that picture would give most accessibility for those.
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 10:17 PM   #19
Talldog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom d View Post
They are not cheesey actually, Very comfy and I use them often now that i have them on. What I meant by a real road bike is one that has road bike geometry, better components, lighter overal, shifters and brakes on the bars ect ect .
Do all of you canadiens behave like this? Funny on a different thread I got warm welcome to this site. I guess you were not one of them.
Amazing when folks are not in front of you what they will say.
Comments like what ??? I gave my opinion on drop bar ends. They are cheesy IMO but so what, it's just my opinion on an accessory. Didn't mention anything personal about you at all. BTW, personal attacks and the threat of physical violence are not allowed here ...... zero tolerance, IIRC.

Last edited by CbadRider; 09-18-11 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:11 AM   #20
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had to clean up the thread a bit. Time to take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard for a while.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:15 AM   #21
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Easy there Tom d. Throwing stones at Talldog's "aggressive reply" is unwise for some one who writes "...happy to give you my address tough guy and i will be happy to give you a break." I'm happy that you're happy and I know Talldog is happy. The hybrids forum is a big happy family and we don't rat each other out to Moderators for perceived threats of violence unless we believe there is a chance the threat may be carried out. I know you were angry and didn't mean what you wrote.

On the other hand such veiled threats are taken very seriously by the moderators and you can get banned, temporarily unless a repeat offender such as myself who is one infraction from permanent banishment. I don't remember what I said to get my most recent infraction but it was much less overt than what you have written.

So take it light. Talldog is a mean old dog, but his bark is worse than his bite.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 09-18-11 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Oops, too late.
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 10:09 AM   #22
tom d
Junior Member
 
tom d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
Easy there Tom d. Throwing stones at Talldog's "aggressive reply" is unwise for some one who writes "...happy to give you my address tough guy and i will be happy to give you a break." I'm happy that you're happy and I know Talldog is happy. The hybrids forum is a big happy family and we don't rat each other out to Moderators for perceived threats of violence unless we believe there is a chance the threat may be carried out. I know you were angry and didn't mean what you wrote.

On the other hand such veiled threats are taken very seriously by the moderators and you can get banned, temporarily unless a repeat offender such as myself who is one infraction from permanent banishment. I don't remember what I said to get my most recent infraction but it was much less overt than what you have written.

So take it light. Talldog is a mean old dog, but his bark is worse than his bite.

Thanks for your post. QMSD

To the Super Moderator. you have my apologies for my post, I myself just would never write what he wrote without expecting some sort of negative response. When someone says to me "give me a break" It's a complete bark against my post and I was merely writing back how I felt he treated my post, as I was responding to a post and I had information which I thought would help the initial poster. So I publicly retract my statement in my post if anyone felt they were in a hostile thread. Guess he barked at the wrong dog. I Just think people would behave differently in the same room rather than another country away. That's why I get irritated. Plus he has a Y. Bera quote in his sig. which would lead to me to believe that he could be a Yankees fan from Canada, which means I have to hate him.....sry Taldog just the way it is over here in Boston.


Tom

Last edited by tom d; 09-18-11 at 10:13 AM.
tom d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 11:58 AM   #23
RollCNY
Speechless
 
RollCNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central NY
Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,
Posts: 8,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Once Boston produces someone worth quoting, I'm sure you'll see fewer other quotes
RollCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 04:53 PM   #24
Talldog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Several
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom d View Post
Guess he barked at the wrong dog .... Plus he has a Y. Bera quote in his sig. which would lead to me to believe that he could be a Yankees fan from Canada, which means I have to hate him.....sry Taldog just the way it is over here in Boston.


Tom
You should probably quit while you are ahead ... or something like that.

And I'm a Tigers fan.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.