Join Date: Mar 2004
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Instructions from Bontrager
"To install bar-ends
1. Make room on the handlebar for the bar-ends.
Remove the grips, slide the controls, and reinstall the grips. If necessary, install new grips with open ends.
2. Remove any oil, grease, or dirt from the handlebar.
For carbon bars, clean with rubbing alcohol and a shop rag; clean until the rag shows no discoloration.
3. Slide the bar-ends onto the handlebar and set the angle position.
4. Install handlebar plugs.
5. Follow the Inspection procedures and tighten the handlebar clamp bolts."
To this I would add;
1) to slide the shift and brake controls you must first find and loosen the bolts that hold them tight. Retighten after repositioning.
2) If your grips are not open ended you can cut a hole in them by hitting the ends with a hammer before you remove them from the bars as demonstrated in this video
3) To remove grips without compressed air, slide a screwdriver between the grip and handlebar and squirt some liquid soap down the shaft of the screwdriver. Slide the screwdriver in and out a couple times to get the soap all the way in. Remove screwdriver then twist grip gently to spread the soap around until the grip can be easily slipped off. Clean soap off before reinstalling, leave grip wet so it will slide on. Let dry before using, at least overnight. 24 hours might be better.
If you have compressed air, see linked video.